Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 and External Flash

I am looking for a feedback from someone who owns both K-5 and K-30. K-5 has been palgued by flash overexposure issue. Is K-30 any different?

I can get predictable exposures with K-20D, K-200D and AF540FGZ in P-TTL mode. With K-5, forget P-TTL, may be in autothyristor mode.

I know that there are lot of well wishers in this forum who are eager to show there camaraderie. Please, please, please, I am only looking for answers from people who have owned or used both cameras (K-5 and K-30), their personal experience in this matter.

I am in a situation where I am going to need dependable flash exposure. I will still prefer to stay with pentax system if I can. Can't hide my jealousy when I see the flash exposures from Nikons. I do need the weather sealing (affordable as I define it under 2 grand for the entire outfit). I may eventually end up using two systems, one for outdoor and one for indoor. Cheers.

11-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by polur101 Quote
K-5 has been plagued by flash overexposure issue. Is K-30 any different?
According to this thread, the K-30 suffers the same plague as the K-5. It appears it is a hardware issue not solvable by firmware.

However, according to this thread, the K-5II and K-3 do not suffer from the overexposure issue.
11-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have either of the camera's you listed, but I feel your pain. I recently bought a higher range P-TTL Sigma flash to use with my K10D and have been disappointed with the exposure accuracy. I was expecting something better than what I had gotten from auto-thyristor flashes I had used in the past.

If I were to do it over, I would probably get one of those Yongnuo units and forget the P-TTL. OTOH...if the K3 is better...

Steve
11-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't have either of the camera's you listed, but I feel your pain. I recently bought a higher range P-TTL Sigma flash to use with my K10D and have been disappointed with the exposure accuracy. I was expecting something better than what I had gotten from auto-thyristor flashes I had used in the past.

If I were to do it over, I would probably get one of those Yongnuo units and forget the P-TTL. OTOH...if the K3 is better...

Steve
I do own yongnuo (460 I believe). Once you learn the interaction between iso, aperture and subject distance (shutter speed doesn't matter unless you are doing HSS), it is fairly easy to get consistent exposure. However P-TTL has other advantages. Though you can use Yongnuo off hotshoe, it is an optical slave not a true wireless(even pentax isn't radiowave, it is infrared). You cannot use multiple wireless flashes controlling ratio between units. Nikon undoubtedly is the king here from what I read. Cheers.

11-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by polur101 Quote
I do own yongnuo (460 I believe). Once you learn the interaction between iso, aperture and subject distance (shutter speed doesn't matter unless you are doing HSS), it is fairly easy to get consistent exposure. However P-TTL has other advantages. Though you can use Yongnuo off hotshoe, it is an optical slave not a true wireless(even pentax isn't radiowave, it is infrared). You cannot use multiple wireless flashes controlling ratio between units. Nikon undoubtedly is the king here from what I read. Cheers.
There is a radio transmitter coming out that is compatible with the the YN-560 III (it has a built in receiver) that allows remote power controls.
11-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

What about the k-50? Does it suffer from this problem?
11-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used to own the K5 and now have the K30, but I use the METZ 58AF-1 instead of the Pentax AF540. The P-TTL is not accurate but in A mode I do not have issues. Since upgrading the flash firmware to support the K30, I can use P-TTL or P-TTL HSS with the K30 and so far have not encountered over exposed shots.
11-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

With a Sigma EF610 DG Super bought last Xmas direct from Sigma so I assume it had the latest firmware and they knew I needed it to work on a K-30, it exposes consistently enough BUT it needs +0.5EV in the straight ahead position and -1EV in bounce mode. This is quite easy to alter on the fly and I rarely use anything but bounce anyway so it doesn't really matter to me. HSS lets me use fast shutter speeds but it might as well be manual exposure, it's not good.