Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

K-50 Remote for certain use

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've recently purchased a K-50 for a company that does field work for insurance companies and I need a remote for certain circumstances. I'm required to take photographs of the roofs using a pole and I'm looking for a remote that will work with this task. It's adding a lot of time setting the timer to 12 seconds and then extending the pole to take the pictures and I have to take a minimum of four roof pictures on each house so you can see this is quite repetitive. Most of the remotes I've found on the internet will only work from the front and what I need will require a range of 20 ft from the bottom to be precise. Are there any options or ways I can work around this? Thank you for any help.

11-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a hard wired release, plus a 20' extension. Plug it in to the camera, get some velcro strips to tie it to the pole at intervals and then either use velcro or double sided tape to secure the remote to the pole. Run up the pole and fire away.
11-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The Pentax CS-205 wired remote may be an option, assuming that the K-50 will accept it. I believe that the cable release terminal on the right side of the camera provides compatibility. As jatrax noted above, you can get a generic extension cable at Radio Shack to provide the extra length you need.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-cs-205-wired-remote.html

I use this wired remote:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

It is more capable than the Pentax unit, and provides for half-press as well as full release. Price is about the same.

Steve
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

Or you do it without any remote by using the interval shooting mode in your camera. Worth a try, because it wont cost you anything and you just have to set it up once.

11-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got a 10 metre 2.5mm stereo jack extension cable (or rather two 5m ones so I can have 5m or 10m) which works fine with a CS-205 knock-off.
11-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Another alternative is to purchase 2.5mm/3.5mm stereo adapters. 3.5mm headphone extension cables are more readily available than the 2.5mm variety - and cost less.
07-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Another alternative is to purchase 2.5mm/3.5mm stereo adapters. 3.5mm headphone extension cables are more readily available than the 2.5mm variety - and cost less.
Thanks for this info. Not sure why it's so hard to find this information on the internet. I googled Pentax cable release and couldn't find any info if it was 2.5mm or 3.5 and manual nor pentax website doesn't say anything about it either

08-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Just get yourself a cheap wireless remote. Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Pentax K 7 K 5 K 200 K 100 | eBay Or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vello-FreeWave-Wireless-Remote-Shutter-Release-Kit-S...item3f36cd3e34

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 08-01-2014 at 04:47 AM.
08-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daviangel Quote
Thanks for this info. Not sure why it's so hard to find this information on the internet. I googled Pentax cable release and couldn't find any info if it was 2.5mm or 3.5 and manual nor pentax website doesn't say anything about it either
Hi! Welcome to the Pentax forums!

As to whether it is 2.5mm or 3.5mm, the easiest way to find out is to simple look at the fitting on the camera body. It is 2.5mm. What is more difficult is to determine the number of conductors. I just went to the B&H Photo Web site and entered "pentax cable release" as a search term for that site.* The search returned 12 items including some where the plug is readily visible. The plug is a 2.5mm/3 conductor (stereo 2 ring).

I agree that the camera documentation is not very helpful in regards to the use of a wired remote. There are multiple situations where the wireless remote built-in IR wireless remote may not be the best solution. I hope this information is helpful and sets you on your way.

Steve

* The same search term in Google also returned compatible items.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-02-2014 at 06:15 PM.
08-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are multiple situations where the wireless remote may not be the best solution.
I'll bet in this situation they would work better than trying to use a 20' plus wired remote, especially the Vello with a range of 320'.
08-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I'll bet in this situation they would work better than trying to use a 20' plus wired remote, especially the Vello with a range of 320'.
This is a ZOMBIE thread and the most recent post did not indicate the use case. My comment should have been more specific in that I was referring to the IR wireless system built into the camera. I will revise my post. The units you linked to are RF devices that use the wired release fitting. I am sure that they might be a good solution as well.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-02-2014 at 06:19 PM.