Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #1

I made my decision on the K-30

Next week I will officially become a pentaxian. I have read a lot of reviews on the past months and the K-30 still seems to me a great deal, even more now due to the release of the K-50 and K-500.

So, I have to wait for these few days to pass quickly and get into action

11-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on your choice, and I am sure you will love your camera. My brother in law has the same, he's a newbie to photography but found that the camera let him learn fast and delivered reliably all the time.

Also, welcome to the forum!
11-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Congratulations on your choice, and I am sure you will love your camera. My brother in law has the same, he's a newbie to photography but found that the camera let him learn fast and delivered reliably all the time.

Also, welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
11-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My GF wanted an upgrade from her K-01 because the live view only mode was frustrating for wildlife shooting and the camera was just not designed for it, especially when shooting RAW. She just got her blue K30 Wednesday and she already is raving about it after a day of shooting birds in the back yard. It can do almost everything my K5iis can do. And it has better movie capture.

If it had been designed to take a battery grip I would have actually bought a K30 as well a year ago. But I opted for a K5iis when I upgraded from a K20.

It's just too bad the K30 doesn't use the L190 batteries. Now we have to get extra L109s for the K30.

I think you'll enjoy your new camera a lot.

11-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good choice. It's a wonderful camera. I've loved mine this year I've had it. I'm upgrading to the K-3 purely for the extra ergonomic control I now want. Will definitely be keeping the 30 as a second body.
11-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum and congratulations….
11-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks guys! I'm sure I will love it, after all these readings a comparisons it would be almost impossible if I don't

I also like it aesthetically

11-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
It can do almost everything my K5iis can do. And it has better movie capture.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lokusart Quote
I also like it aesthetically
I'm sad the K-50 didn't keep the K-30 looks. That camera just rocks.

The only thing really lacking when compared to a K-5 is the number of external controls, which kept me from selecting it some time ago.
11-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm sad the K-50 didn't keep the K-30 looks. That camera just rocks.

The only thing really lacking when compared to a K-5 is the number of external controls, which kept me from selecting it some time ago.
I share that opinion, I think the K-50 is aesthetically another one in the bunch. I know that cameras are tools... blah blah... but we all get attached to them
11-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Well welcome on board... from someone who is newish here too... I actually got the 500 and so far I have no reservations about it. I think there has always been something special about the brand no matter how chemical or digital (I owned a K-1000 for awhile) and it seems like what camera handed to you first, it is like your first love... kinda always stays with you. Happy hunting and many good returns!!!

Last edited by Canmannac; 11-10-2013 at 07:04 AM.
11-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #11

I just got my K-30 over the weekend. And while I haven't had a chance to extensively put it through it's paces...it feels great and looks great and so far is a joy to use! This is my 3rd Pentax camera...having already owned the K-x and K-01...I see it as a marriage of the two. Really like it so far. Welcome and enjoy...as I'm sure you will!
11-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canmannac Quote
Well welcome on board... from someone who is newish here too... I actually got the 500 and so far I have no reservations about it. I think there has always been someone special about the brand no matter how chemical or digital (I owned a K-1000 for awhile) and it seems like what camera handed to you first, it is like your first love... kinda always stays with you. Happy hunting and many good returns!!!
thanks Canmannac! there is really a special relation between a photographer and his camera

QuoteOriginally posted by jwc77 Quote
I just got my K-30 over the weekend. And while I haven't had a chance to extensively put it through it's paces...it feels great and looks great and so far is a joy to use! This is my 3rd Pentax camera...having already owned the K-x and K-01...I see it as a marriage of the two. Really like it so far. Welcome and enjoy...as I'm sure you will!
Nice! waiting to grab mine
11-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #13

K30 is a great camera. I really enjoy using mine. You won't regret it. My only snag is I can't find a decent priced 8-16 sigma lens. I can for every mount but pentax, argh, I'm lucky if I can even find the lens at all for pentax.
11-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ballhog Quote
K30 is a great camera. I really enjoy using mine. You won't regret it. My only snag is I can't find a decent priced 8-16 sigma lens. I can for every mount but pentax, argh, I'm lucky if I can even find the lens at all for pentax.
Really, what 8-16 lenses have you found… I have a Sigma 8-16 for my Pentaxes that's simply outstanding, and I have the 10-17 fisheye, more of a fun lens but still in the ballpark. I guess the caveat in your post is "decent priced" as no one knows what that means but you. Also, are you talking primes or zooms? There's only one 8-16 zoom that I know of and it's Sigmas, and it's available for Pentax.
11-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Really, what 8-16 lenses have you found… I have a Sigma 8-16 for my Pentaxes that's simply outstanding, and I have the 10-17 fisheye, more of a fun lens but still in the ballpark. I guess the caveat in your post is "decent priced" as no one knows what that means but you. Also, are you talking primes or zooms? There's only one 8-16 zoom that I know of and it's Sigmas, and it's available for Pentax.
That's the one I've been looking for the Sigma 8-16, its the only 8-16 I know of. I guess decent price is 500-600ish, which I seen them sell for in the past and should have bought. Ebay has one at 1100, which for that price I could buy the sigma for a canon mount and a canon camera.