Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-500 Impressions

Seems K-50 & K-500 owners are in witness protection program none seem to be around. I am an owner of the 500 version and so far have been happy with the camera. For me it was a leap ahead, as I stepped up from the masked Pentax, in the Samsung GL 10. There have been no issues as of yet with mechanics or electronics, And despite some good shots (so I think) I am still learning the ins & outs of the camera. Just wondering what any other users impressions are, even if it is the 50. My extra layer of learning is that I that I added several new lenses of varying focus, so that also plays into the learning experience

11-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canmannac Quote
Seems K-50 & K-500 owners are in witness protection program none seem to be around. I am an owner of the 500 version and so far have been happy with the camera.
There appears to be 6 admitted owners of the K-500 doing a quick search on this forum: You, Adam, brelip, salb, black-kx, and myself.

salb mentions a problem with his K-500, and black-kx appears to be selling his K-500 to get a nearly free DA 50mm F1.8 lens.

I bought the K-500 to replace an obsolete *istDL, which also didn't have the focus points in the viewfinder or weather resistance. I just use the center focus point and recompose.

I was initially interested in the K-50, but even with all the extras included in the Adorama deal, it was still $700 total outlay. The K-500 was only $360 with the Hunt's deal.

Like you, I am also learning the features of this camera. It is more complicated than the earlier Pentax models I am used to.
11-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-500 owner here!

I've only taken a handful of pics so far - some are great, some are, well...I have a thread in the beginners forum to figure out what I did wrong.

I like the build quality; I expected it to be lighter and flimsy. I'm coming from a Nikon D7000 mainly because I missed my 40mm Limited, and $360 was too good to pass up.
11-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
There appears to be 6 admitted owners of the K-500 doing a quick search on this forum: You, Adam, brelip, salb, black-kx, and myself.

salb mentions a problem with his K-500, and black-kx appears to be selling his K-500 to get a nearly free DA 50mm F1.8 lens.

I bought the K-500 to replace an obsolete *istDL, which also didn't have the focus points in the viewfinder or weather resistance. I just use the center focus point and recompose.

I was initially interested in the K-50, but even with all the extras included in the Adorama deal, it was still $700 total outlay. The K-500 was only $360 with the Hunt's deal.

Like you, I am also learning the features of this camera. It is more complicated than the earlier Pentax models I am used to.
Interesting note I ran across is that the 500 does have some weather sealed points, like the jack flaps for example. And what pray tell does happen in the rain this cameras and just how much rain??? I used my Samsung GL 10(the masked ist pentax) in the rain and was fine.

11-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
K-500 owner here!

I've only taken a handful of pics so far - some are great, some are, well...I have a thread in the beginners forum to figure out what I did wrong.

I like the build quality; I expected it to be lighter and flimsy. I'm coming from a Nikon D7000 mainly because I missed my 40mm Limited, and $360 was too good to pass up.
Hi Dennis, I guess we'll travel the 500 together and see what it brings us. I have a couple albums up for perusal :-).
12-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canmannac Quote
Hi Dennis, I guess we'll travel the 500 together and see what it brings us. I have a couple albums up for perusal :-).
Hi,.
Well add me to your list.
I have just converted from Nikon and bought the K-500 as it packs a lot of punch for your money.
I will be doing mostly landscape and time-lapse and have the Samyang 14mm f2.8 as my main lens as I do some astro photography too and the coma is just brilliant. It's also as sharp as a pin.
I currently have the 18-55 DAL kit lens but want to replace this with a superior zoom. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Love the build quality but am finding the menu set-up options a little difficult to get used to and there are no youtube tutorial videos unlike the multitude of Nikon ones you can find.
Any help there would be fantastic.
I will just have to wade through the manual best as I can. Lol.
Took my first pics today of a wicked sunrise (the redest I have seen) and used the kit lens as the Samyang manual lens wouldn't work.. I didn't realise you had to alter the setting within the menu ??????
The are going to be some quirks I will need to know coming from Nikon, but am looking forward to my journey with my new Pentax.
12-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

You'll be able to add me to this list hopefully by late this afternoon (12/6/13) as my K500 with 18-55 AND 55-200 lenses is "Out For Delivery"
I needed to upgrade from my current Pentax K-m (K2000) for the Live View and the Video capability.

12-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cps1959 Quote
Hi,.
Well add me to your list.
I have just converted from Nikon and bought the K-500 as it packs a lot of punch for your money.
I will be doing mostly landscape and time-lapse and have the Samyang 14mm f2.8 as my main lens as I do some astro photography too and the coma is just brilliant. It's also as sharp as a pin.
I currently have the 18-55 DAL kit lens but want to replace this with a superior zoom. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Love the build quality but am finding the menu set-up options a little difficult to get used to and there are no youtube tutorial videos unlike the multitude of Nikon ones you can find.
Any help there would be fantastic.
I will just have to wade through the manual best as I can. Lol.
Took my first pics today of a wicked sunrise (the redest I have seen) and used the kit lens as the Samyang manual lens wouldn't work.. I didn't realise you had to alter the setting within the menu ??????
The are going to be some quirks I will need to know coming from Nikon, but am looking forward to my journey with my new Pentax.
Well welcome to the road! I hope you get many great moments from your 500. I can recommend joining the monthly challenge here in the forum. It will give the opportunity to get the camera in your hands and use it daily. I had both kit lens and unloaded them. I added the 17-70 and the sigma 18-200, both I think are great replacements!
I have to say so far I satisfied with my 500, we are getting along wonderfully and after a rough first 10 days I have gotten back to the level of pics I thought I could achieve. So fire away, and keep us updated!
12-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
You'll be able to add me to this list hopefully by late this afternoon (12/6/13) as my K500 with 18-55 AND 55-200 lenses is "Out For Delivery"
I needed to upgrade from my current Pentax K-m (K2000) for the Live View and the Video capability.
Hey Welcome on board! I hope you will share what you learnt and discovered. I stepped up from a Samsung Gl 10 basically a D ist in disguise. So far I am content with my new shooting partner. Hope get lots of great photographic moments! Cheers!
12-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #10

New owner here

Just bought the unbelievable deal from Hunt for $350ish for the K--500 with kit zoom. I had been researching between the Nikon D5100/D3200, the Sony SLT A58, and the Canon SL1. I saw this deal and couldn't pass it up. The weather here in NJ has been wet the last week, so I haven't shot outside, but have done some inside with my dogs. Wow, what a difference from my pocket Panasonic ZS10 (not a bad camera). I'm certain there will be a learning curve, but the auto will help in the meantime. This is my first DSLR, years ago I used a Nikon F2 film camera. Ah, the good old days.
12-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

K-500

Hi all!
I'm a brand new Pentax K-500 owner (upgraded from my beloved Fuji S6500fd), and the first thing i noticed is that my shoots have oversaturated blue/magenta colors. Is this the normal behavior of its sensor or it needs to get looked at.
I've tried playing with white balance settings, but cant fix those oversaturated colors unless i completely ruin other ones
I have attached some photos below, they are handheld at night so a bit blurry. As u can see, image color is rather warm as it has a strong yellow cast, but blue lights are way over saturated, as u can see from the blue car (the only one whose color is clearly visible) -.-
And even he lights that shouldnt b so blue have a strong saturation... gaaah
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
12-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's always going to be a problem at night as you are dealing with multiple light sources. Fluorescent, sodium, various types of incandescent, moonlight, etc. it's only possible to get one right (in camera), and you'll likely have to do that manually.
12-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Didnt know that, i had much less problems with those kind of shots with my s6500fd (having a CCD sensor).
I am very new to cmos sensors and dSLR altogether so some things might surprise me So the magnitude of saturation i those shots is an usual thing?
Stepping out from the city and taking pics of natural low light landscape would be much less of a problem i suppose?
12-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Forum Member

Another new K-500 owner from the Hunt's deal - in this case, adding to a K-01 (my first Pentax K-mount) that I've generally been happy with, but which had problems with the back LCD washing out in bright sunlight; MF lenses in particular were just about impossible to use, even with tools like the Delkin sunshade.

Overall, I like the handling, though I was surprised at just how much bigger and heavier it is compared to the K-01; will definitely be keeping it around!

Unfortunately, I'm having one serious problem with it. After the first couple of days taking pictures, I've started seeing a black horizontal line, about 2 pixels wide, stretching across every picture about 1/8 down from the top. (I can post sample pics if that'd help.) Any idea what's wrong, or am I going to need to send it back to Pentax?
12-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Another 2 examples, red colors are so much saturated that the flowers lose any detail in them. The other photo is taken with olympus p&s
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
UT8000,ST8000  Photo