Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

K-30 two lens kit contents?

TL;DR: Does the non-WR K30 two lens kit (18-55 & 50-200) include two hoods or one? Is that hood really difficult to attach/detach, or is there something wrong with the one we got?

I tried to look this up on the internet, but I couldn't find the answer for two reasons: 1) There are apparently LOTS of different K-30 kits and 2) The parts I'm interested in seem to be considered part of the lenses in the kit, rather than the kit itself.

I recently got a ridiculously good deal on an "open box" Pentax K-30 two lens kit (18-55 and 50-200, DAL, not WR). It was missing one lens cap, and only included one hood. I'm fine with the missing cap, I can replace it easily enough.

The bigger questions I have are, has anyone else bought this exact kit before?
Did it include two hoods, or just one?
Is the included hood extremely frustrating, or is ours broken? It seems to have a very different kind of bayonet than the hood that came with our K-x kit, despite the fact that that hood works just fine on the new lens. The hood in the box is definitely a Pentax hood -- it says "PENTAX" on it, and it has the little door to work with a CPL. It doesn't seem to mount correctly either forward or backwards on either lens, but is not obviously damaged either.

Sorry, I can't post pics right now, I don't have it with me at the moment.

11-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
TL;DR: Does the non-WR K30 two lens kit (18-55 & 50-200) include two hoods or one? Is that hood really difficult to attach/detach, or is there something wrong with the one we got?

I tried to look this up on the internet, but I couldn't find the answer for two reasons: 1) There are apparently LOTS of different K-30 kits and 2) The parts I'm interested in seem to be considered part of the lenses in the kit, rather than the kit itself.

I recently got a ridiculously good deal on an "open box" Pentax K-30 two lens kit (18-55 and 50-200, DAL, not WR). It was missing one lens cap, and only included one hood. I'm fine with the missing cap, I can replace it easily enough.

The bigger questions I have are, has anyone else bought this exact kit before?
Did it include two hoods, or just one?
Is the included hood extremely frustrating, or is ours broken? It seems to have a very different kind of bayonet than the hood that came with our K-x kit, despite the fact that that hood works just fine on the new lens. The hood in the box is definitely a Pentax hood -- it says "PENTAX" on it, and it has the little door to work with a CPL. It doesn't seem to mount correctly either forward or backwards on either lens, but is not obviously damaged either.

Sorry, I can't post pics right now, I don't have it with me at the moment.
The kit that comes with the DAL 18-55 and DAL 50-200mm has no hoods. The kit that comes with a 18-55mm WR and DA L 50-200mm will have a hood for the 18-55mm, and no, the hoods are not interchangeable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
I went back to the store and checked the other kit they had. Indeed, there was no hood in it.

It seems I may have received a hood for a lens I don't have. I suppose the hood is more valuable than the lens cap I'm missing. Does anyone want to trade the DA L 18-55 hood for a 18-55 WR hood, assuming that's what it is? I'll snap some pics of it when get the chance.

The camera did come with over 400 clicks on it, so "open box" clearly means "returned". Or maybe floor model.

EDIT: I've confirmed that this is the hood for the 18-55WR (PH-RBC).

Last edited by thornburg; 11-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.