Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Is Tristate Camera reliable?

PENTAX | K-30 16.0 MegaPixel, 3.0 Inch Liveview LCD, Full HD Video, Weather-Sealed Digital SLR Camera With DA 18-55mm WR Zoom Lens Kit - White *FREE SHIPPING* | 15724 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer

Do you think this K30 is used, refurbished, or new? I really want a new K30 with the DA WR 18-55 as I use Quickshift all the time on my Q. The K50s seem to be only sold with the DAL lens without quickshift. So I really want a K30 before they are all gone. But I am really worried about buying from Tristate camera...
What do you think? Should I just wait till Black Friday or will they all be gone? I don't want to miss the low prices and they go back up like with the K01. Haha

11-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I once bought an 18-55 WR from them and the packing job was a total joke. That iced it for me. Never again.

Lens was fine, however.
11-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
I once bought an 18-55 WR from them and the packing job was a total joke. That iced it for me. Never again.

Lens was fine, however.
Great... Thats what I have heard. Maybe I don't really need quickshift... On the DAL lens without quickshift, does the manual focus ring just not work if autofocus is on? I don't think I am really understanding what Quickshift is. On my Q I just autofocus and then use the manual focus ring to get the perfect focus. Would that work on a lens without quick shift?
11-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quick shift is overrated on non-macro, non-telephoto lenses, IMO.

11-18-2013, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I often "test" unknown merchants with small orders. Based on my experience patronizing the site's sponsors is always the best and safest option.
11-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Quick shift is overrated on non-macro, non-telephoto lenses, IMO.
Now that I think about it I really only use quickshift on my 06 Telephoto for the Q not the 01 prime. So maybe I don't necessarily need it for the 18-55 WR.
11-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
Any more suggestions?
11-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've dealt with them twice I believe, both times satisfied. No guarantees of future results, of course.

11-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I looked into tri state several years ago, and found that a lot of their stuff was gray market. I looked at the ad you linked to, and compared it to the same product at B-H. The mfgr part number is the same, but B-H actually lists a limited 1-year warranty in the list of what comes in the box, the Tri-State ad makes no mention of warranty. Might mean nothing, might be gray market, used, refurbished, who knows?

As far as the quick shift feature, it is like you described for the Q. After autofocus, you can manually adjust focus with the focus ring. With a DA-L lens, the body autofocus drive stays engaged. If you try to turn the focus ring manually with autofocus on, you will be turning the body autofocus motor through the body gear train, which can potentially damage the camera. Not a good idea, and it will be hard to turn, anyway.
11-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

some have reported certain merchants calling to verify an order then trying to push a "Long life" battery in the deal, or saying the camera does not come with one. Be careful.
11-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

TriState Camera, Video and Computers Reviews - tristatecamera.com Ratings at ResellerRatings

This is one way I check on companies I have not done business with before... A lot of mixed reviews IMO... Personally I wouldn't use them.
01-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I know this is an old thread, but I just thought I'd throw this out there from something I learned today. Tamron has a 6 year USA Warranty on their NEW lenses. Tristate is showing a Tamron lens on their website for a full $180 lower than B&H or Adorama. So... of course, I called them.

"Does this lens have the full US Warranty from Tamron?"
"No, it does not."
"Oh, what does it have then?"
"It is a new lens and has a 1 yr warranty from us (meaning TriState)."

So, the question is: is a gray market item w/o mfr warranty worth the $180 difference? I dunno. YMMV. To me, it is not. Six years is a long time. Looking around elsewhere, including our Marketplace.
01-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I know this is an old thread, but I just thought I'd throw this out there from something I learned today. Tamron has a 6 year USA Warranty on their NEW lenses. Tristate is showing a Tamron lens on their website for a full $180 lower than B&H or Adorama. So... of course, I called them.

"Does this lens have the full US Warranty from Tamron?"
"No, it does not."
"Oh, what does it have then?"
"It is a new lens and has a 1 yr warranty from us (meaning TriState)."

So, the question is: is a gray market item w/o mfr warranty worth the $180 difference? I dunno. YMMV. To me, it is not. Six years is a long time. Looking around elsewhere, including our Marketplace.
I just bought a Battery grip from them for my K3. It was $139 shipped. Box , warranty , New , and extra carriage for battery.......perfect 1 yr USA warranty.
Also used them about a year ago for my K5iis and a tripod. No problems at all.
Now several years ago(about a decade) they shipped a camera and it took forever.
06-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #14

i have never had an issue with tri-state camera but then again i have always made my purchases at the store.