Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I think the K-3 will bring along hidden costs such as a need for more and faster cards, better PC for editing etc.
Giklab,

I was exploring its various features and found to be a substantial departure from the rest like K-x, K-m, K-r, K-30, K-50, etc. I am good in technology, but right now my problem is I just want to spend minimum time exploring the features and just go do my stuff. The best season is about to start any moment now :-D

11-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
K-3 is new tech, and I rarely trust new tech. If you are rich enough to buy K-3 then I would recommend a K-5ii with good glass instead. Your dog is in snow, so wouldn't it be cool (sic) to have a K-5 plus a big collection of good glass? 18-135, 55-300, both WR. Or maybe some star primes?....... (Wow this is a pugilistic paragraph!)
K-5 and k-5II s are great suggestions. I will be evaluating these two cameras soon. However, I have found that DA 55-200 is mostly useless for me as I tend to do landscape photography while on the go and hardly ever needed it. Thus, 55-300 will be useless too. I carry about 100 Lb in my backpack, plus my camera and two lenses and accessories in my Lowepro Sport sling bag. Any extra weight of additional lenses will be a painful.
11-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
+1

treat yourself on an additional prime such as Da 35 2.4
I can't afford to carry extra load. I have calculated and found that at the max. I can carry one camera and one lens. Even a second lens will be hard in snowy, icy and blizzard conditions.

But prime lenses are on my mind. It is just that they don't allow flexibility of focal length. So for hiking and trekking for now, it is utility over quality for me
11-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok. K-5 ii or ii(s) it is then, with the 18-135 WR. I shall be using a K-5 plus my newly bought 18-135WR for the Single in December, and I can't wait to start. I daren't put the lens on my camera yet because I am using the DA70 for SI Nov, and once the 18-135 is mounted I won't wanna take it off!

Also, why isn't your doggie carrying panniers, make the little "beggar" work for his living!

11-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
Felix,

I read your two posts. Honestly speaking, it never occurred to me that K-30 would still be available. In Canada, K-30 is available online on fewer sites and there is only $100 price difference between K-30 and K-50 and the latter is available in some cool colours that are a nice departure from ubiquitous black. I will try to find in the biggest Canadian photography store (Henrys) near my home if they are still carrying K-30 though.
Hope you are able to get one. It's a good camera in its own right.
11-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
Ok. K-5 ii or ii(s) it is then, with the 18-135 WR...... I shall be using a K-5 plus my newly bought 18-135WR for the Single in December, and I can't wait to start. I daren't put the lens on my camera yet because I am using the DA70 for SI Nov, and once the 18-135 is mounted I won't wanna take it off!

Also, why isn't your doggie carrying panniers, make the little "beggar" work for his living!
I am sure when I mount 18-135 mm, I won't be taking it off too.

My puppy 'K2', almost always has its backpack on. His red colour bag stands out in the white background, but unfortunately I am unable to recall why he hadn't it on that particular hike.
11-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Be sure and check out Prodigital… if they have something, it's usually about the lowest price in Canada,

Pentax K 5 II Digital SLR Camera Body 18 135mm WR Lens K 5II Open Box Demo 027075220607 | eBay
Pentax K 30 Digital SLR Black w 18 135mm WR Lens Kit Refurbished | eBay

Or just browse around.
NEW Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body with DA 18-135mm WR Lens Kit 15541 items in Prodigital2000 store on eBay!
11-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

But prime lenses are on my mind. It is just that they don't allow flexibility of focal length. So for hiking and trekking for now, it is utility over quality for me
well, only one solution over this, which i do myself: 2 cameras (say 2 times k30)with one ltd on each. all flexibility you want.
and this is still small and little weight. the only backside is your wallet will be weighing less as well.
and ltds are not WR... don't know if you need AF, as you could use cheap legacy primes.

11-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Be sure and check out Prodigital… if they have something, it's usually about the lowest price in Canada,
Thanks I will look into these.
11-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
well, only one solution over this, which i do myself: 2 cameras (say 2 times k30)....... don't know if you need AF, as you could use cheap legacy primes.
As I have mentioned earlier, my prime interest is enjoying my winter hiking with my dog. Photography is an allied, but secondary activity for me. I carry a backpack and my Lowepro Sport bag for my camera, weighting about 110 Lb. My dog carries about 25 Lb in his backpack. There is absolutely no room for carrying two cameras. If ever there is a need, I will resort to my Fuji water, shock, dust, freeze proof point and shoot camera.

But this could be a cool suggestion for late spring and early fall, when I am not carrying that much load.

Regards,
11-25-2013, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

well, only one solution over this, which i do myself: 2 cameras (say 2 times k30)with one ltd on each. all flexibility you want.
and this is still small and little weight. the only backside is your wallet will be weighing less as well.
and ltds are not WR... don't know if you need AF, as you could use cheap legacy primes.
As I have mentioned earlier, my prime interest is enjoying my winter hiking with my dog. Photography is an allied, but secondary activity for me. I carry a backpack and my Lowepro Sport bag for my camera, weighting about 110 Lb. My dog carries about 25 Lb in his backpack. There is absolutely no room for carrying two cameras. If ever there is a need, I will resort to my Fuji water, shock, dust, freeze proof point and shoot camera.

But this could be a cool suggestion for late spring and early fall, when I am not carrying that much load.

Regards,
Suhail, maybe you should take grispie on your winter hike I don't think grispie realizes that every gram counts on a long hike;I know what choice I would make if I had to choose between a liter of water or a kg of camera gear.
11-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

plus my camera and two lenses and accessories in my Lowepro Sport sling bag. Any extra weight of additional lenses will be a painful.
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Suhail, maybe you should take grispie on your winter hike I don't think grispie realizes that every gram counts on a long hike;I know what choice I would make if I had to choose between a liter of water or a kg of camera gear.
yep, i'll gladly go along to carry everything. I suggest we take a 645D with all possible lenscombinations :-)

But somehow i feel you are missing my point. Pentax makes small bodies, small lenses. 2 pentax bodies with a different focal ltd on it, might take less storage than you'd think, even more so as it would be two squares that may be easier to store than one body with a zoomlens (and a 2nd lens as i understood above). Imagine two K01's... but not sure if K01 is what you need though.

I've done a hiking trip this summer in the UK. Taking my K20d + prime + K01 + prime. The K01 really didn't make the difference.
What made the difference though was my sony A77 with 16-50 lens on it... Jee, what an idea to take that one along :-))
11-25-2013, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

For hiking, the 18-135 is just it. You don't need anything else. If you check out the 18-135 thread ( click here ) you'll find images by many of the outdoorsy types. We aren't using the lens because we don't have a choice. We all have many lenses, but for hiking, being on the move, it's simply the best. I disagree that a lens like the 21 ltd or 35 2.4 make much difference in your pack. They don't weigh a lot. I've carried the DA* 60-250 (at over 2 pounds) on 15 km hikes. But if you have an 18-135, most of the other lenses are unnecessary. You can carry other lenses, but most of the time you won't take them out of the bag. I usually carry 5 to 7 lenses on canoe trips, but most of them only come out of the bag around camp. Fussing with camera equipment for lens changes etc. is just completely annoying when you're on the move. And personally for hiking and the outdoor life, I don't know why you'd even consider non-WR dust proof lenses.

I'm just not seeing what the downside is. The difference between the 18-135 and any primes is not really noticeable until after 60mm.

The only other option I'd consider would be a waterproof shockproof point and shoot, which I often carry in one of the pockets of my cargo pants.

What camera you put with it is completely a personal choice. But for what you're planning to do, a K-30 would be fine if you can find one. If it's water proof and it takes pictures, you're good to go. Take the best deal you can find K-30 or newer. Myself I like the weight of the heavier bodies, they help me brace my hand for hand held photos. I haven''t taken 20 pictures with our K-x.But is weight is that important.

A K-3 weighs 800 grams, a K-50 weighs 649, a K-5II weighs around 740grams, a K-30 weighs 650 grams. If weight is the important thing… you want a K-50 with a WR 18-55. You won't get lighter than that with the same functionality.

A 21 ltd weighs 140 grams a DA 50 weighs 122 grams. + DFA 100 Macro WR at 340 gm =602 gms
A DA 18-55 WR is 230 grams + 100 macro WR -340 gm = 570 gm

DA 18-135 is 405 grams.

Those are the minimum configurations i'd travel with.

With a K-50 or K-30 + 18-135 you have the lightest possible travel kit, that will give you reasonable range.
11-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't know why you'd even consider non-WR dust proof lenses.
i agree. think we got sidetracked a bit. the original question was about his camera upgrade.
The K30 indeed is a good option.
11-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For hiking, the 18-135 is just it. You don't need anything else. If you check out the 18-135 thread...............With a K-50 or K-30 + 18-135 you have the lightest possible travel kit, that will give you reasonable range.
Hi normhead,

I agree with you 100%

We already nailed on WR and on 18-135 mm WR. I can't live without the WR feature as I have to carry my water/shock/dust/freeze proof point and shoot for the purpose, which I may continue as a fall back camera.

I had also considered 55-300 mm, because I love wildlife and was thinking perhaps I should carry that lens for wildlife photography. However, since I hike and trek with my dog, all wildlife is long gone before I reach it. That lens doesn't go along with my lifstyle.

My confusion was about what camera to upgrade to.

The choice is now among k-30, k-50 and k-5 ii / s. And since my wife is thinking of getting a camera for our daughter, I think I can convince her to gift k-30 or k-50 to our daughter with a 18-55 mm WR and I can buy K-5ii /s.