Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
i agree. think we got sidetracked a bit. the original question was about his camera upgrade.
The K30 indeed is a good option.
grispie,

I have been reading your comments. Thanks for the understanding

Best regards,

11-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a k-r, but it always seemed to be arguing with me about how to take the shot. My wife's k-30 always gives me a cheerful welcome, but we are just good friends. Whenever I pick up my K-5 it just seems to say "welcome home"! I have worn gloves that felt less comfortable than the K-5!

Buy a K-5 ii/S.
11-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
Hi normhead,

I agree with you 100%

We already nailed on WR and on 18-135 mm WR. I can't live without the WR feature as I have to carry my water/shock/dust/freeze proof point and shoot for the purpose, which I may continue as a fall back camera.

I had also considered 55-300 mm, because I love wildlife and was thinking perhaps I should carry that lens for wildlife photography. However, since I hike and trek with my dog, all wildlife is long gone before I reach it. That lens doesn't go along with my lifstyle.

My confusion was about what camera to upgrade to.

The choice is now among k-30, k-50 and k-5 ii / s. And since my wife is thinking of getting a camera for our daughter, I think I can convince her to gift k-30 or k-50 to our daughter with a 18-55 mm WR and I can buy K-5ii /s.
You're right about the dogs, I carry an A-400 and a k-5 with 60-250 mounted on a waste belt and holster for quick removal, and I have not one wildlife image taken on a dog walk. I also have a Pentax Optio w90 waterproof shock proof that I carry in a pocket if I don't want to bring the whole kit. I shudder hearing you mention the 18-55 though. Tess and I really don't like that lens much. I can't think of a WR replacement though, so I guess I'll let that go.
12-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On December 6, I expect to be in possession of a K-5iis from amazon.ca

12-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Three things to consider regarding your trekking situation:

Not only is the K-30/50 lighter, but the plastic body is more comfortable to handle in cold weather.

On the other side of the ledger, the battery system is not very good compared to the K-3/5/01 system - especially vulnerable in below freezing weather. At a minimum, you'll need two batteries with you. The K-30/50 AA battery system is not dependable in cold weather, so I would opt for the regular "system" batteries - even though their capacity is low.

Given the current pricing of the K-5ii body, you might want to consider that option. An only advantage to the K-50 would be for changing perspective and using live view. I much prefer live view for winter shooting as the VF is a challenge to use due to fogging and overall comfort of keeping the camera away from my face. The K-5 series is not good for live view work; but the usefulness is much better for the K-30/50 and K-3. I have become a better photographer using live view, and shifting perspective. That's the main drawback with the K-5 series.
12-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Three things to consider regarding your trekking situation:
I think you're too late :-)

Suhail,
congrats on your purchase.
I think the K5ii is a steal right now if you don't need the manual controls for video...
12-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Suhail, congrats on the purchase of the K5IIs
12-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Oh, I don't feel like that any of the three cameras under consideration would have been a mistake vis-a-vis the needs of the shooter. In fact, given current pricing I think the K5ii will give him the best overall value. In fact, given that most of the shooting will be outdoors with a zoom lens - you have the best-possible imaging because of the slight dynamic range advantage over the two other bodies. (Not to say that the sensor ratings are the defining feature of these bodies - but it is nice to know).

Absolutely, congrats. If purchased from Prodigital2000 - a fine choice. Got a great deal on the 16-45 f/4 from there four years ago. Still my most-used walkaround lens.

12-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Three things to consider regarding your trekking situation.....
. That's the main drawback with the K-5 series.
Hi,

I think I am a winner. I bought K-5iis from amazon.ca and my wife is getting a k-50 for my daughter, but I know my daughter likes my K-r, so guess what ...... I win hahaha. But thanks for the great advice.
12-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote

Suhail,
congrats on your purchase.
I think the K5ii is a steal right now if you don't need the manual controls for video...
Thank you grispie. I know I got real deal.
12-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Suhail, congrats on the purchase of the K5IIs
Thank you felixkh and thanks to all other forum members who gave me advice.

I will be in possession of a K-50 as well, due my daughter taking my K-r rather than the one my wife is going to gift her lol.