Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The most ghetto of DYI rain protection... grocery store bag. They are free and easily found most anywhere.
I keep one of the ready-made SLR rain bonnets in the bottom of my camera bag. It uses no otherwise useful space and weighs practically nothing. A package costs almost nothing if you think to toss it in on another order. The plastic grocery bag trick does work, but is not as convenient.

I started carrying one of the bonnets when my SLR wasn't weatherized. Although I am shooting with a K-30, and in poor weather, a WR rated lens, I think in heavy rain (or the Maid of the Mist boat ride into Niagara Falls) I would still use a bonnet to reduce the pressure of the water hitting my camera. I would also have less to clean up once I exited the wet environment. If you don't thoroughly dry your camera and lens before removing the lens or opening one of the seals, you risk water entry.

11-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I keep one of the ready-made SLR rain bonnets in the bottom of my camera bag. It uses no otherwise useful space and weighs practically nothing. A package costs almost nothing if you think to toss it in on another order. The plastic grocery bag trick does work, but is not as convenient.

I started carrying one of the bonnets when my SLR wasn't weatherized. Although I am shooting with a K-30, and in poor weather, a WR rated lens, I think in heavy rain (or the Maid of the Mist boat ride into Niagara Falls) I would still use a bonnet to reduce the pressure of the water hitting my camera. I would also have less to clean up once I exited the wet environment. If you don't thoroughly dry your camera and lens before removing the lens or opening one of the seals, you risk water entry.
Good idea. I shot most of my niagara falls "Behind the falls tour" photos through the thin yellow pancho. Fixing the white balance was a huge pain.
11-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sound advice. I used my red K-x in rain in Alaska with a Sigma 18-200 DC lens. It fogged up pretty good going from outdoor to indoor (lens + mirror). My LCD actually stopped working properly for a day until it dried out.
I was fortunate enough to have someone lend me their expensive lens (who would have thought that I'd find someone with a K-mount lens standing behind me on a cruise ship in Alaska).