Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I use K30 and a WR / 43 limited lens in heavy rain?

I know K30 and some WR lensed are *WR*, but I am not sure if I can use them in heave rain? I'm in Vietnam, and it's the raining season now.

And how about the limited lens (liked 43mm)? It's metal and it looks good to use in rain I've never tried that though!

Thanks

11-22-2013, 02:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Definitely do not use the Limiteds in the rain, (except for the new unreleased DA 20-40 Limited) none are WR.

You will need to use a WR designated lens or a DA* lens along with your K-30 to have a weathersealed package you can bring into the rain.

WR and DA* lenses have rubber seals to prevent water from entering, the 43 Limited doesnt have these

Hope that helps!
11-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
know K30 and some WR lensed are *WR*, but I am not sure if I can use them in heave rain
yes, you can, but as per above: not ltds...
11-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

"yes, you can" should probably be worded "yes, you should"

I've used my K-5 in torrential rain for years...
but beware that if something does go wrong, even if it is not your fault (badly sealed while under warranty repair/cleaning), Pentax WILL blame you and not cover the repairs from water damage. Even if it is from light rain, they will lie and overstate the damage to the point of saying it looks like the camera was submerged in order to get out of covering the problem.

Read the warranty, stating that they have no faith in their design and be aware that only "mist or light rain" is specified... which honestly, any NON-WR camera/lens can handle.

I would say, yes you should be fie. Have fun... just take some amount of care and common sense.
And don't be caught by surprise if something should go wrong.

11-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I used my K-30 and DA18-135WR extensively in the middle of a tropical storm. Had it in the driving rain for several days, and everything worked great.
11-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ive seen videos of people hosing down the k-30, dumping it in streams etc etc. Honestly that just gives me the shivers... if your are in a really wet environment use a submersible camera for goodness sake, or use a dive bag but please people don't take your k-30 on raft down a river or in the shower.
11-22-2013, 10:33 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

At the risk of irritating people let me butt in and strongly recommend that you do not operate the zoom while the camera/lens is wet. While the sealing is generally very good the zoom will inevitably draw water into the camera if you zoom from short to long focal length.

I know many people do it anyway and get away with it but it is a gamble. Air will have to get into the camera from somewhere and if that somewhere happens to be wet the water will get in as well.

I really think Pentax / Ricoh should state this in the manual, and perhaps even as a 'health warning' / disclaimer on the box.
11-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
At the risk of irritating people let me butt in and strongly recommend that you do not operate the zoom while the camera/lens is wet. While the sealing is generally very good the zoom will inevitably draw water into the camera if you zoom from short to long focal length.

I know many people do it anyway and get away with it but it is a gamble. Air will have to get into the camera from somewhere and if that somewhere happens to be wet the water will get in as well.

I really think Pentax / Ricoh should state this in the manual, and perhaps even as a 'health warning' / disclaimer on the box.
Agreed & good advice! The only exception might be a lens with internal zooming like the 50-135mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I know K30 and some WR lensed are *WR*, but I am not sure if I can use them in heave rain? I'm in Vietnam, and it's the raining season now.

And how about the limited lens (liked 43mm)? It's metal and it looks good to use in rain I've never tried that though!

Thanks
Here's a list of WR lenses currently available:
wr Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Agreed & good advice! The only exception might be a lens with internal zooming like the 50-135mm.
Maybe this is the actual difference between the "AW" designation I saw on my DA* 50-135 and the "WR" designation on, say, the DA18 -135 ?

And how about the limited lens (liked 43mm)?
Maybe invest in the new HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR?
11-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a list of WR lenses currently available:
wr Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I had this bookmarked from another thread you posted it in -- it has some the first link misses. Might only be 645 lenses though.
WR Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
11-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Air will have to get into the camera from somewhere and if that somewhere happens to be wet the water will get in as well.
Pentax claims these WR lenses are also dust proof, if that is true it should be air tight when mounted on a camera therefore must have arrangement to circulate air internally, to avoid creating vacuum/pressure, otherwise dust will find it's way inside unless they have built in air filter. Just a thought.

Last edited by ultraviolet; 11-23-2013 at 01:35 AM.
11-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
Pentax claims these WR lenses are also dust proof, if that is true it should be air tight when mounted on a camera therefore must have arrangement to circulate air internally, to avoid creating vacuum/pressure, otherwise dust will find it's way inside unless they have built in air filter. Just a thought.
There is no way to 'circulate air internally' except by making it internal zoom. If the exterior volume of the lens+camera combo changes then so does the internal volume - there is no way around it.If the internal volume changes then so needs to change the amount of air inside which happens by air being expelled or drawn in.

One way which this could be improved would be to have a filter of sorts in the body which would allow easy passage of air while blocking dust and water. Such an arrangement is common on industrial and military instruments but unfortunately there is no such thing on any Pentax camera that I know of.

Despite this problem however the weather sealing still greatly reduces the amount of dust that gets into the camera as suction due to zooming account for only a small part of the dust that would otherwise get in if there hadn;t been the weather seals.
11-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
icy

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies.

So I wouldn't use a limited lens on K30 . How about a DIY lens shield? Have you ever tried to make it?
11-25-2013, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you all for your replies.

So I wouldn't use a limited lens on K30 . How about a DIY lens shield? Have you ever tried to make it?
The most ghetto of DYI rain protection... grocery store bag. They are free and easily found most anywhere.

I put the end of my lens inside, screwed on the lens cap to hold the bag in place and tore out the hole to see through.
The rest of the camera remains covered as well, so it works for non-WR bodies as well as lenses.

Looks funny, yes... but not as funny as the guy trying to figure out why his dampened camera stopped working while on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.

I did a similar thing with the plastic poncho given out at "The Maid of there Mist" boat ride at the bottom of Niagara Falls.
That is REALLY wet. This was with a very non-WR body and lens, even before digital. No problem.