Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, this sure is strange. Maybe send Ricoh a question?

12-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote
Thanks all for your detailed replies. I'll try and answer each one of you in turn:

Canada_Rockies: I should've stated from the get-go that the sound is there regardless of whether sounds are on or off, and no matter what the speaker volume. Sorry about that. But yeah, I too hate all the beeps and noises too, and normally disable all audio queues.

Giklab: The vibrating piece of which you speak may be completely normal on a K-5 ii – I can't tell you cause I don't have one. Just a guess, but could the vibration you're seeing have anything to do with sensor cleaning? I have sensor cleaning turned off.

Crewl1: Wow. That sound you caught came on at exactly the same mine does. But it seems much more distorted. Was that distortion in the audio, or does the K-5 actually sound that way?

AldaCZ: Does that clicking sound come on about half a second (maybe less) after switching on, and can you hear it with the camera at arm's length? That could pretty much answer my question.
Yes it is coming from the speaker not a half a sec after being turned on. - We more sensitive have a bad time in the present day. Most of the electronics(phones etc) has its "amplifier" shut down when not in use (Powersaving?) and when you start playing the music it makes this "surge" or "pulse" in it´s output. I believe the developers at Pentax have to know about it.

Last edited by AldaCZ; 12-03-2013 at 01:40 PM.
12-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Most of the electronics(phones etc) has its "amplifier" shut down when not in use (Powersaving?) and when you start playing the music it makes this "surge" or "pulse" in it´s output.
You know what I find strange about this? My phone (when playing music) does this very rarely with just one or two tracks (the files are fine).
12-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is a recording of that sound coming from a Pentax K-50. I can confirm the same sound exists for the K-30s I had tested, too. The recorder microphone was pressed up against the camera's speaker. The first noise is the power switch being flicked to the on position, followed by a less audible click coming from the speaker.
This forum doesn't seem to be compatible with MP3 files, so I uploaded as a supposed.MPEG and you'll need to download it and change the file name extension back to .mp3 before hearing it in your favorite player.

Attached Files
File Type: mpeg k50 speaker click.mpeg (33.2 KB, 53 views)
12-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
One more recording to add...This one taken 15cm (~6 inches) away from the grip (speaker) side of the camera. Both camera body and recorder (a Sony ICD set at 48kbps) were resting on a level table. Again, the recording is an MP3 audio file uploaded as MPEG.
The click is still audible in the recording (albeit softer to the mic) and happens at exactly the same moment.
Attached Files
File Type: mpeg k50 speaker click at 15cm.mpeg (27.2 KB, 53 views)
12-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Never noticed it before, but if there is near total silence, I can just barely hear a faint click just after I turn my K-30 on.

( Oh no! )
12-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Never noticed it before, but if there is near total silence, I can just barely hear a faint click just after I turn my K-30 on.

( Oh no! )
A faint click is completely normal for the K30/50. They all do it. But mine seems a bit louder than normal – something that's very difficult to tell by listening to a recording. I guess the only thing left to do is compare two side-by-side at exactly the same time.

02-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have researched this matter a bit further by going into a camera store with my K-50 and comparing it side-by-side (so to speak) with the showroom model. I'll to post my (unscientific) results due to the variegated answers and concerns expressed in this thread, and hopefully put it to rest:
To the best of my knowledge and hearing ability, both my K-50 and the store's K-50 sounded almost exactly alike when powered-on; this also proves that this camera is supposed to make a clicking sound when switched on.
I don't know for sure what causes this noise, but after thinking on it a bit, I hypothesize the sound may be coming from the magentization of the floating sensor frame – it's easy to forget the camera has in-body stabilization! That would be my guess.
So to conclude, I was made satisfied (and confident) enough by the results of my little test that I treated myself to a 35mm DA lens (which was on sale...a steal of a deal to boot).