Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Is there a way to quickly force flash off/on from K30?

I'd like to quickly change from one shot to another flash from off to on while looking through viewfinder.
Often times my subjects (cyclists) approach quickly towards me so I'm busy working the zoom to keep composition properly framed.
At long distance flash makes no sense and should be off but when the object is near I need feel-in flash working.
Shooting in Av, Tv or TAv modes

Using the on/off switch on the body of the flash is too slow (and with flash off-camera would be impossible).
I could not find any way to force flash on/off by using any of the camera dials or buttons.
I was hoping I could program User1/2 modes to only differ by flash on/off but did not find a way to do this.

I use Metz 48AF-1 but don't think it flash model matters at all. Even built-in pop-up flash when extended would present challenge and fire all the time.

What am I missing?

12-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use shutter speed to control it - over 1/180 flash will not fire.
Use TV or TAV mode.
12-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
I need flash to fire at high speeds! that is the whole point of HSS.

In fact I just shot entire race using flash to lit up athletes faces and up to 1/6000 shutter speeds to balance the ambient light.

this is an example of good HSS flash use at close distance with 31mm zoom:

And here is the one shot from long distance at 135mm zoom where flash fired but was useless

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Use shutter speed to control it - over 1/180 flash will not fire.
Use TV or TAV mode.
12-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah, HSS. OK can't help you there, sorry. Hopefully more savvy folk will engage.

12-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Might be a bit of a kludge but what about wiring a switch on the batteries to prevent flash firing?
12-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
LOL, it's easier to just turn mechanical switch off on external flash;-)
I was trying to get this done purely by camera settings though to make it quick.

I actually just found this old thread with response describing the same isue.
Apparently, there is no way do disable flash (when it's mounted and on) from the camera itself.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Might be a bit of a kludge but what about wiring a switch on the batteries to prevent flash firing?
12-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Actually I was thinking of a dead-man style switch maybe taped to the camera grip. As long as you hold it down the flash fires release it and no flash. Or the reverse depending on how the switch is wired. Maybe put it under left thumb. Should be pretty simple to operate without taking the camera from your eye.
12-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
Oh! I see now. Well, this may be a bit of too much a kludge.

Plus, in my scenario (with objects approaching) I'd want to shoot first without then with the flash and the time between the two shots may be a second or so. If I turn that switch on after first shot I wonder how much time the flash needs to charge up before its ready for second (with the flash) shot. Essentially, it'd be starting up from power-off position then and must be ready to fire in one second.

As it is I just "waste" flash on my first few shots (when objects are beyond flash reach). It appears to recharge fast enough for the last "close-proximity" shot to be lit up.

I'll just have to leave with this.

I find it a bit odd that our cameras have no flash-disabled setting (short of turning actual flash power off).

Actually I was thinking of a dead-man style switch maybe taped to the camera grip. As long as you hold it down the flash fires release it and no flash. Or the reverse depending on how the switch is wired. Maybe put it under left thumb. Should be pretty simple to operate without taking the camera from your eye.

12-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Well to carry the mental exercise one step further: put the flash on a flash bracket, connect with a p-ttl cable, splice a dead man spring loaded switch into the trigger circuit, use a normally closed switch so that pressing it breaks the circuit, tape the switch on the body under your left thumb.
Press the switch and no flash, release it and you get flash. Flash is always charged since you are interrupting the trigger circuit not the charging circuit.
12-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Great write-up. Thanks for idea!
I was thinking about using flash bracket with off-camera PTTL cable for the master/controller flash unit.
Now it looks like I just need to splice in the switch for the trigger circuit.

I also plan on using remote flash with radio triggers (waiting for Aotec units to arrive any time now).

Well to carry the mental exercise one step further: put the flash on a flash bracket, connect with a p-ttl cable, splice a dead man spring loaded switch into the trigger circuit, use a normally closed switch so that pressing it breaks the circuit, tape the switch on the body under your left thumb.
Press the switch and no flash, release it and you get flash. Flash is always charged since you are interrupting the trigger circuit not the charging circuit.