Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

Setting minimum shutter speed?

On the K-30, is there a way to set minimum shutter speed? I've searched and can't seem to find anything. On a few other brands there is a feature to set minimum desired shutter speed. Say you are in A mode, the camera will ramp ISO up until it hits that speed. If it hits maximum defined ISO, shutter speed starts dropping down.

I use this mode indoors when shooting kids or pets. 1/60 or slower is just not effective with them, I have pretty good luck with 1/200. TAV mode seems close, but if ISO maxes out, the camera just underexposes rather than dropping shutter speed.

12-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Aperture is already limited, i.e. there are only so many available, and the same is true for ISO. If you then limit the third and final variable, shutter speed, you will encounter situations that will not allow proper exposure, just as you described using TAv.
12-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yakky Quote
On the K-30, is there a way to set minimum shutter speed? I've searched and can't seem to find anything. On a few other brands there is a feature to set minimum desired shutter speed. Say you are in A mode, the camera will ramp ISO up until it hits that speed. If it hits maximum defined ISO, shutter speed starts dropping down.

I use this mode indoors when shooting kids or pets. 1/60 or slower is just not effective with them, I have pretty good luck with 1/200. TAV mode seems close, but if ISO maxes out, the camera just underexposes rather than dropping shutter speed.
I think what you can do is simply use P mode and when the shutter speed drops below what you want for that shot, just rotate the front dial to get to a desired shutter speed. Might actually be more useful than a separate setting for minimum shutter speed as that limit you're thinking of is probably an ever-changing number, depending on each shot being composed.
12-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TAv and Tv mode. You can help freeze action/ignore the shutter by using flash (fill flash, second courtain). You can try the panning technique as well.
In auto and P mode with auto ISO, the camera already has a "minimum shutter speed" which appears to be around 1.6*focal length. This means if you have a 50mm lens, the camera will go down to shutter speed 1/90, and then raise the ISO instead of going below that.
But unfortunately, there is no setting to give the camera a certain limited range in which it may operate. It would be useful in many situations.

The other thing is to shoot raw and then use post processing software the digitally brighten/darken the photos. Its quite remarkable how much you can squeeze out of a DSLR these days.

12-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I think what you can do is simply use P mode and when the shutter speed drops below what you want for that shot, just rotate the front dial to get to a desired shutter speed. Might actually be more useful than a separate setting for minimum shutter speed as that limit you're thinking of is probably an ever-changing number, depending on each shot being composed.
Great advice, that does seem to work even better than an absolute limit. Thanks!
12-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
TAv and Tv mode. You can help freeze action/ignore the shutter by using flash (fill flash, second courtain). You can try the panning technique as well.
In auto and P mode with auto ISO, the camera already has a "minimum shutter speed" which appears to be around 1.6*focal length. This means if you have a 50mm lens, the camera will go down to shutter speed 1/90, and then raise the ISO instead of going below that.

Sure would be nice to be able to adjust that 1.6 multiplier!