Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #1

K30 - reduce number of AF points

Hello

I know this sounds daft - I am trying to find out how to reduce the number of active AF points under the menus. Just want to be able to do this for taking pictures of gliders in flight and similar.

Struggling with hunting when shot against sky and or cloud. Single point would be good. I know I can set to manual focus on infinity, but for closer stuff - take off etc it would be helpful

thanks for any suggestions

12-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to the af settings option under the second tab of the main menu, that's where you can select the # of active points.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
press info button then move to second option from right on the first row, change the value with rear wheel to select or spot
12-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
bin

Original Poster
Brilliant - thank you. I think I've been skipping past some menus- the buttons are quite stiff, I guess due to waterproof seals. Need to develop some new muscles :-)

12-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I usually use center metering and one center focus point. but if i were doing sports or action shots it would be different.
12-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

@bin

For shooting gliders, or anything that moves for that matter, you'll be better off using focus tracking. This allows you to select a starting AF point which will be the one used when you first half press the shutter. However while keeping the shutter half pressed, or even while shooting in continuous your subject moves from the centre point the camera will try to capture it with one of the other eight points surrounding it. As soon as you let go of the shutter and half press again it will again rest to the centre point, so the idea is that you initially 'capture' the subject with the centre point and try to keep it there but if it does drift off a little (because it may be difficult to follow th subject well enough) the camera will help you keep it in focus by temporarily selecting another focus point.

To activate it:
Set AF to continuous.
Then go to the second menu and enter the AF settings item.
Set the 'Expanded area AF' to on
Set the AF active area to 11 points manual (The third item, the one with 11 small squares)

Now on the status display where the active focus point is shown you will see one red focus point in the centre with eight pink focus points surrounding it. Make sure that it is actually the centre one that is red and if not adjust it to the centre just as you would with normal AF point selection.
The red point indicates which point the focus will start from while the pink ones indicate which ones the camera can temporarily use to keep the subject in focus as it moves away from the centre point.

The system is not infallible and doesn;t do miracles but I do find that it has helped me a lot, especially with birds.
12-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
bin

Original Poster
Thank you both I'll see how I get on. Birds in flght are another subject I work on, so this will be very useful

Previously I used to have problems with autofocus missing the target and trying to use the nearest cloud or whatever was handy.............but that was with a different camera (non-pentax)