Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dirty Sensor

Has anyone got the same problem? I've had my K30 cleaned 3 times in the last month, there is always some dust, but also there are numerous spots, like drops of oil, on the sensor. The technician says Nikon had a similar problem where the shutter was spraying oil. I'm just wondering if I'm alone or is there a problem somewhere.

Thanks.

Tuggie76

12-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
drops of oil? Very odd.

Do you change lenses often? Or are there any other times a lens is not on the body?
12-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
drops of oil? Very odd.

Do you change lenses often? Or are there any other times a lens is not on the body?
I do change lenses fairly frequently, but usually I'm very carefull, leaving camera upside down, putting caps on lenses asap, etc. I always leave a lens on the camera and have a spare cap for it if I'm going to be longer than normal.
12-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I do change lenses fairly frequently, but usually I'm very carefull, leaving camera upside down, putting caps on lenses asap, etc. I always leave a lens on the camera and have a spare cap for it if I'm going to be longer than normal.
All Good

12-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Um, its probably dust spots, no? Search for sample photos, its probably that, not oil. They become visible when you use wide angle lenses or narrow apertures and take photos of clear sky or white walls. Dust is inevitable. Zoom lenses can work as a pump to move air and dust around. In my experience, dust is worst in big cities.
had my K30 cleaned 3 times in the last month
What exactly do you mean? Professionally cleaned, or did you use the Dust removal function, or rocket blower?
12-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Um, its probably dust spots, no? Search for sample photos, its probably that, not oil. They become visible when you use wide angle lenses or narrow apertures and take photos of clear sky or white walls. Dust is inevitable. Zoom lenses can work as a pump to move air and dust around. In my experience, dust is worst in big cities.
It's pretty bad in rural areas in the fall, in fact dust from harvest is what creates the orange in the Harvest Moon, or so I've read.
12-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

What exactly do you mean? Professionally cleaned, or did you use the Dust removal function, or rocket blower?
I tried cleaning myself with Lens Pen, but had no luck, so I took it to a local camera store, it's there now for the third time.

Why he thinks it's oil is that he's chemically cleaned it twice and it won't shift.

Thanks for all your help.

Tuggie76
12-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cleaned What?

Hi Tuggie,
Do you mean you've been cleaning the sensor with a lens pen? Or am I misunderstanding (I hope!).
A Rocket blower, cleaning swabs, sure. But I've never heard of using a lens pen. Pretty sure that's not recommended.
Ron

12-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Tuggie,
Do you mean you've been cleaning the sensor with a lens pen? Or am I misunderstanding (I hope!).
A Rocket blower, cleaning swabs, sure. But I've never heard of using a lens pen. Pretty sure that's not recommended.
Ron
It's a Len Pen Sensorklear, it's a kit with lighted loupe, blower and special lens pen. It was highly recommended by Henrys here in Canada, but didn't help in this case.
12-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter

If it were oil, the lens pen would've smeared it around at least. Is there any chance you've gotten some sort of silicone lubricant in there? The usual non-polar solvents used to clean things won't touch silicone. But that would still move around a bit. If it isn't moving at all, I'd send it in to CRIS camera, let them have a whack at it.
12-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Why he thinks it's oil is that he's chemically cleaned it twice and it won't shift.
Your camera is still under warranty--you might want to send it in to Pentax Canada and ask them to have a look.
12-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Well if its not dust, and a pro cleaning doesnt fix it, it might be sensor stains. If the camera is within warranty, sending it to official repair for them to look at it might be a good idea. I know that some brands (and even some Pentax cameras) had problems with sensor stains on some cameras. If you can get this fixed, why not? The K-30 is a great camera, why not use it to its full potential.

Btw, could you maybe post some example photos? That way we can see if we recognize the dirt
12-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Well if its not dust, and a pro cleaning doesnt fix it, it might be sensor stains
This would be the first time for the K-30 AFAIK, the sensor stain was a problem on the first batch of the original K-5.... however, I agree that a few photos taken at f22 of the sky should give us an idea of what the problem might be...
12-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
This would be the first time for the K-30 AFAIK, the sensor stain was a problem on the first batch of the original K-5.... however, I agree that a few photos taken at f22 of the sky should give us an idea of what the problem might be...
Here's the dirt! It looks like someone emptied a handfull of sand in the sensor.

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 06-17-2014 at 04:41 PM.
12-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I don't know anything about your technician, but I see mostly normal dust which you should be able to remove with a rocket blower, and a spot or 3 on the left hand side, where you might have to use the wet clean method with a swab and eclipse Cleaning Digital Sensors, Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photographic Solutions, Inc. - Digital & Photographic Cleaning Solutions - Photographic Solutions (http://photosol.com/videos/). I do not see the oil the technician are talking about...