Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

Battery Grip for K-500?

Is there a vertical battery grip available for Pentax k-500 model?

12-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately not. There is one for the K-5 and K-3 however.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gripper?

Hello Mac, welcome to the Forum!
Adam's right, there's no grip for the K-500 or K-50. Most DSLR makers only supply an (optional) grip for their mid-to-top line bodies, not the entry-level versions.
The cynics might say it's so they can also sell an upgraded body, before the buyer can try out a grip, but I believe it's much more simple; Supply and demand. They just don't find a market for a $200-$300 accessory that fits a $500 body.
A grip is usually something that we start looking at as we advance in the field of photography. More/better lenses, longer shooting times (extra battery), larger 'Kit' and overall greater commitment (both $$ and time) to the activity.
Generally, by the time a (newer) user begins to think about a grip as useful, they've reached the limitations of a 'starter' body. More MP's, fuller menu, faster fps in burst mode, exchangeable focusing screen, more custom functions, wider/better ISO range, better video specs, overall higher performance.
I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's my take on it!
Ron
12-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Mac, welcome to the Forum!
Adam's right, there's no grip for the K-500 or K-50. Most DSLR makers only supply an (optional) grip for their mid-to-top line bodies, not the entry-level versions.
The cynics might say it's so they can also sell an upgraded body, before the buyer can try out a grip, but I believe it's much more simple; Supply and demand. They just don't find a market for a $200-$300 accessory that fits a $500 body.
A grip is usually something that we start looking at as we advance in the field of photography. More/better lenses, longer shooting times (extra battery), larger 'Kit' and overall greater commitment (both $$ and time) to the activity.
Generally, by the time a (newer) user begins to think about a grip as useful, they've reached the limitations of a 'starter' body. More MP's, fuller menu, faster fps in burst mode, exchangeable focusing screen, more custom functions, wider/better ISO range, better video specs, overall higher performance.
I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's my take on it!
Ron
Thanks for the answers on the battery grip question. Upgrading to newer camera with my older lenses, which I spent some cash on and still work well

12-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depending on what functionality you want from a grip, you can probably achieve it via a do-it-yourself project.
12-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

thanks for all the help,but I found a good deal on a K-50 with the 18-135 lens. Now I'll just have to learn how to use it.
12-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
thanks for all the help,but I found a good deal on a K-50 with the 18-135 lens. Now I'll just have to learn how to use it.
Best kit combination I've owned (although with a K-30 - almost the same camera).
12-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Depending on what functionality you want from a grip, you can probably achieve it via a do-it-yourself project.
See K-30 forum for relevant thread as the K-500 appears to have the necessary rubber plug by the battery compartment and you should be able to the same thing with the K-50!

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-29-2013 at 09:26 AM.
12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Forum Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/216730-battery-grip-pentax-k30.html
I think, it is possible to do same thing for K-500 as for K-30