Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

trouble updating firmware. with a couple pics. sigh

Good grief I struggle with technology sometimes!!!! Wanting to upgrade the firmware on my K-30, but I don't see the little green arrow that would take me to the next screen. :/ Here is what/where I am at on the screen:

The camera does fine with the older firmware taking pics, but I hate getting stumped like this!!!! Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you.

12-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you extracted the firmware before putting it on the card? Did you format the card in-camera? Did you put the file in the root directory of the card?
12-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have to hold down the menu button while turning the camera on. If the firmware update is on the card it will ask you if you want to update. Otherwise it will give you the firmware version.
12-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[EDIT: Please disregard this post and do it the way tomwil copied below. I apparently left off the last several steps, including everything in the camera menu.]

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/246592-trouble-updat...#ixzz2ogzg7aUc

This is the way I've always done it. YMMV.

FULLY CHARGE YOUR BATTERY!!
Format an SD Card in the camera
After following their instrcutions, transfer the Firmware Update file Pentax posted to their website to the card from your computer (usually something.bin)
Turn off the camera
Put the card in the slot and close the door
Turn on the camera.

Camera should recognize the .bin file and begin the Firmware update, which should proceed smoothly until complete. You don't need to do anything in the Menu or on the camera itself to update the Firmware, so there isn't a green arrow.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-27-2013 at 09:14 AM.
12-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh. I haven't done any of that stuff. :/ Ok, that gives me a good place to start. lol Headed home now to try it. Have the new firmware on my laptop. Need to transer that firmware to a formatted card and give it a go.

Thanks again.
12-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Have you extracted the firmware before putting it on the card? Did you format the card in-camera? Did you put the file in the root directory of the card?
No, I haven't extracted the firmware yet. I simply went to the Pentax/Ricoh website and downloaded the new firmware. I hope extracting the stuff isn't gonna be a "mind blown" adventure.
12-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This is the way I've always done it. YMMV.

FULLY CHARGE YOUR BATTERY!!
Format an SD Card in the camera
After following their instrcutions, transfer the Firmware Update file Pentax posted to their website to the card from your computer (usually something.bin)
Turn off the camera
Put the card in the slot and close the door
Turn on the camera.

Camera should recognize the .bin file and begin the Firmware update, which should proceed smoothly until complete. You don't need to do anything in the Menu or on the camera itself to update the Firmware, so there isn't a green arrow.
I'm not sure about all that above, but the instructions are mentioned at the official Ricoh websites here and here:

QuoteQuote:
Updating Procedure
[1] Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.
• Fwdc215b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc215b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.
[2]Insert the the D-LI109 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
[3] Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera and close card cover.
[4] Turn the camera power on.
[5] Press MENU button to display MENU screen.
[6] Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 3] menu screen.
[7] Select [Firmware Info /Options] in the [Set-up 3] menu then press the four-way controller right.
The firmware version for the camera is displayed on the [Firmware Info/Options] screen.
[8] Press the four-way controller right to display update screen.
Press the four-way controller up to select [Start] and press OK button.
*If firmware file is not saved to SD card correctly, this screen will not be displayed.
[9] Card access lamp will be blinked and display will be changed from [NOW LODING] to [COMPLETE].
*Do not turn OFF the camera while updating.
[10] Automatically turn OFF the camera. (Approx. 5 second)
[11] Remove the SD card from camera.
*Confirm the version of firmware with above [How to check version].
[Caution]
When updating is finished, the update SD card still contains the Firmware file.
If you want to use this card to take pictures, format the card by the camera to delete firmware file first.

12-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please disregard my post and do it the way tomwil copied. I apparently left off the last several steps, including everything in the camera menu.
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Quote: Updating Procedure
[1] Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.
• Fwdc215b.bin: This is the updated firmware.
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc215b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.
[2]Insert the the D-LI109 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
[3] Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera and close card cover.
[4] Turn the camera power on.
[5] Press MENU button to display MENU screen.
[6] Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 3] menu screen.
[7] Select [Firmware Info /Options] in the [Set-up 3] menu then press the four-way controller right.
The firmware version for the camera is displayed on the [Firmware Info/Options] screen.
[8] Press the four-way controller right to display update screen.
Press the four-way controller up to select [Start] and press OK button.
*If firmware file is not saved to SD card correctly, this screen will not be displayed.
[9] Card access lamp will be blinked and display will be changed from [NOW LODING] to [COMPLETE].
*Do not turn OFF the camera while updating.
[10] Automatically turn OFF the camera. (Approx. 5 second)
[11] Remove the SD card from camera.
*Confirm the version of firmware with above [How to check version].
[Caution]
When updating is finished, the update SD card still contains the Firmware file.
If you want to use this card to take pictures, format the card by the camera to delete firmware file first.
12-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looking forward to getting my work stuff out of the way so I can try this. Couple hours from now and I'll be able to get back into it.

Thank you for your help.
12-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc215b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card
What does this mean?
12-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Copy the file to the top level directory. Don't put it in the DCIM directory.
12-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Copy the file to the top level directory. Don't put it in the DCIM directory.
I just deleted the DCIM directory off the card. Actually, formatted the memory card with the camera and noticed that directory was still there. Took card out of camera and put in my laptop and formatted it. That directory is now gone.......card appears completely blank.

is that how I want to start?
12-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's ok if DCIM is there, it is created by the camera. You just don't want to put the .bin file inside it.
12-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's ok if DCIM is there, it is created by the camera. You just don't want to put the .bin file inside it.
ok. thank you.
12-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still can't get past the screen that is my 2nd pic in this thread. Reading the instructions, I downloaded the firmware as it said.

What am I missing?