Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2013, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

My new K-30

Hello everyone,

I bought a brand new K-30 a month ago. In my introduction I spoke a little about my camera history, but since I'm sure most of you haven't read it (can't blame you), let me say that the K-30 blows my Panasonic GX1 out of the water. I wanted to join the mirrorless revolution, but the truth is that I was disappointed. Maybe it was the camera, maybe the lenses, maybe the brand, or perhaps myself, but it didn't pan out. When I look at the pictures of both the GX1 and K-30 in LR, the difference is obvious, despite both cameras having a 16 MP sensor.
Anyway, I've been greatly enjoying my new camera. I was in sore need of a proper SLR, and the K-30 is above my expectations. So, without further ado, I'll leave you with a few samples of my vacation.
Name:  IMGP0168.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  IMGP0352.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0410.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  IMGP0416.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0647.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  94.2 KB

Thanks for looking, and have a good day!

12-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear that you're liking your Pentax so far! What lens/es have you got?

I briefly owned a Panasonic GX1 because I wanted to join in and see what the mirrorless hype was all about... but I didn't like it, sold it, and went with the Pentax K01.
12-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #3

welcome! I also have about a month with a pentax k-30, liking it a lot so far
12-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm using the 18-135 WR and am pleasantly surprised with the quality so far. This is the kind of lens that I would expect as a kit with an enthusiast camera, and it's a shame that all brands pack crap instead as a "budget option".
And yeah, the GX1 lacked the "wow factor". As well constructed as it is, it also hasn't got much in the way of image quality (but its video is excellent, I must say).

12-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to Pentax Forum!
12-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #6

Nice pics... and welcome to the forum... I also just got the k-30 as well, and as you mention it has really lived up to my expectations so far. I think I'll try to write a review in the future, when I have gotton to learn it a bit more, and fully tested out the 18-55 / 50-200 combo I have (no weather sealed lenses - yet :-) ... but so far, I'm really glad I chose the k-30, for price and features. Cheers ...
12-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Glad to hear that you're liking your Pentax so far! What lens/es have you got?

I briefly owned a Panasonic GX1 because I wanted to join in and see what the mirrorless hype was all about... but I didn't like it, sold it, and went with the Pentax K01.

And the Pentax K-01 is also mirrorless. So your point is...?

BTW, the latest generation m43 cameras are excellent and rival APS-C in IQ - Pany GX7, Oly E-M1.
12-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
I'm using the 18-135 WR and am pleasantly surprised with the quality so far. This is the kind of lens that I would expect as a kit with an enthusiast camera, and it's a shame that all brands pack crap instead as a "budget option".
And yeah, the GX1 lacked the "wow factor". As well constructed as it is, it also hasn't got much in the way of image quality (but its video is excellent, I must say).

I definitely disagree with that. GX1 does not have much IQ? Sorry, not true.

01-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. I haven't got much time these last days for shooting, but I hope this situation shall change now.

As to the GX1, have you ever used one? The colors straight from camera are quite iffy, and the lenses typically bundled with it are less than stellar. Much worse (for me) is that there STILL ISN'T a decent supertele available. Panasonic and Olympus have together produced over seven supertele lenses - and not a single decent one! And no, adapting doesn't count, I quite like my AF, thank you.

Besides, what's your point? This is nothing but an introductory post, I don't see why you have to charge in here, guns blazing, to defend m4/3 - in a Pentax forum! Especially when nobody was attacking the system, just a particular model that is universally agreed to be underwhelming (or how would you explain the terrible price drop? I lost more money than expected because of that).
My K-30 runs rings around the GX1 in low light, plus it's a lot more robust and actually has access to proper, enthusiast-grade telephoto lenses. Oh, and can focus on things moving faster than a brisk pace. It seems that you love m4/3, and that's fine. I gave it a shot and was disappointed, so I'm back in DSLR land. I don't go around raining on your parade, please don't pee on mine.