Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-30 advice

I currently have a K10D. I wouldn't be thinking about changing it apart from the fact that higher iso capability and thus the possibility of higher shutter speeds would be an advantage for wildlife photography. I guess an upgrade equivalent of the k10D would be a K-5 II? However, I don't want to spend that kind of money so I've been looking at the K-30. The body looks very angular. How is it for holding? Also does anyone know if Tamron 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters will work ok with it (albeit with the same limitations as with the K10D) ? Be grateful for any help.

Paul

12-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have had my K 30 for just over a year now and love it. One of the deciding factors for me was the way it felt in my hands. I have large hands with long fingers and the K 30 fits them great. I don't have the Tamrom teleconverters but I have two Tamron lenses and they work great. I see no reason why if hey work with the K 10 they won't work at least as well with the K 30. Have a look around though there ave been some great Deals on the K 5ii and iis lately so never know what you might find. Good luck with your hunt. By the way, the K 30 is great at higher ISO's but then so are the 5's.
12-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
I currently have a K10D. I wouldn't be thinking about changing it apart from the fact that higher iso capability and thus the possibility of higher shutter speeds would be an advantage for wildlife photography. I guess an upgrade equivalent of the k10D would be a K-5 II? However, I don't want to spend that kind of money so I've been looking at the K-30. The body looks very angular. How is it for holding? Also does anyone know if Tamron 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters will work ok with it (albeit with the same limitations as with the K10D) ? Be grateful for any help.

Paul
I find the K-30 exceptional for holding. I cannot speak to the TC and combo you speak of but I think the K-30 ideally balanced for larger, longer lenses. It's also gripped in such a way as to facilitate portrait shooting.

My philosophy is to put my cash in glass, not bodies. I have rarely found the need for higher-end body controls so why spend more on the no used or needed. The K-30 is a very good compromise that punches well above its weight. All of the above applies to the K-50 as well.
12-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

True K30 at least for me has the best grip af all cameras which I have tried. Glued to my hand and I have large hands. That cut for a finger in the grip is..and also that blister on the left..Somene has been thinking while designing it.

12-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #5

K-30 feels great in your hand . I use it hand held with a Tammy 70-200 without a problem . Love this camera and the image quality is great . At the close out prices you cant go wrong.
12-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Honestly, the grip is a bit odd (due to the AA configuration), but very secure to hold if you don't have particularly large hands (some have complained). As a K20D owner (same body style as K10D), it does take some time to adjust to the size change. In most ways the K30 will satisfy with great IQ, very good live view, much better AF and performance. The viewfinder is equal, and that is amazing when you consider that you are stepping down from a flagship. On the other hand, you will immediately notice the difference in build quality, and lack of tactile surfacing - especially where your thumb rests. Neither of these cameras have quiet shutters - which would be a strong reason to move up to the K5 line if that's an important factor (I have that covered with the K-01 for my stealth shooting.)
12-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Personally, I love the way my k30 fits in my hand. It really feels like it belongs there. I'm not a big guy. I'm about 5'5 and have rather small hands. I really like the angular looks also. Makes it look a little more "mechanical" if you will.

12-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The K-30 initially feels good to hold, but doesn't cope well with longer shoots. At least not for me.

I've developed hard skin at the last join on my ring finger and my middle finger nail suffers from being pressed up against the opposing "wall". The last bit is of worst annoyance as it causes some pain after a long day.

I suppose I have large hands and to put things in perspective one should know, that I shoot a lot. I've had (and still have) 2 K-30s for more than a year now. I use them both for wedding photography and when I'm out, I'm often out for 10+ hours doing hard work (I rarely do *not* have a cam in my hand during that time). I mostly use K-30 + Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and 17-50 f2.8.

The lacking ergonomics (to me) are noticeable only after some 4-5 hours of concentrated photography. To me it has over time become a problem *but* to anyone else who might not be shooting as much I do, I'd say, try it out and see how it feels. If it feels good in your hand then go for it without worries. The K-30 is otherwise a lovely camera.

Ps. I carry one K-30 with me all the time, every time I go out (no, not in a bag :P ). The ergonomics "issue" hasn't affected my motivation to use the camera at all.
12-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K 30 is very comfortable, I've used it a bit over a year now and still love it.

Any teleconverter with K mount should work, I have 2, I also use a couple of M42 versions with no problems except that I don't like the degradation of image quality so they get very little use. I also removed the glass from a couple and use them as extension tubes, they work great and I've gotten some very nice shots using those. The best thing is it gives me aperture control, which M42 versions don't have. With M42 I can't see as well so I have to open up the aperture, focus, stop down again then shoot. Iffy at best but it works. With the K mount versions the camera can stop down the same as using just the lens, mine work great, both as teleconverters and as extension tubes.
12-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #10

I like a lot the ergonomics of the K-30, nice grip. As said above, take also a look at the K-5 deals
12-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used the K30 over extended periods, but I have not experienced any discomfort holding the camera. It is quite comfortable and I expect you'd be very happy with the purchase. I have 2 K20Ds also. I find that I like how the K20D is molded to the hand a bit better, but still, they feel much bigger and heavier. However, the IQ and AF capabilities of the K30 are really much higher. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a K30 if you find a particularly good deal.
12-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I did receive my new k30 today. I love it! Its even more smaller size than my old k100d, tamron 17-50 looks big lens with it. Feels plastic and lightweight compared to my k5...but i think this k30 feels little better camera for me. Not so many buttons but all I need. I just feel comfortable with this. Yeah its more noisy af and mirror&shutter but i dont care. Metz 58 seems to work fine with pttl, with k5 pttl was useless, but hsspttl not work! Pics looks better to me than with k5 from lcd, i did not upload to computer yet. This k30 is great little cam. No have pc sync port or mirror lock up but i can live with thoseminor things. My tripod plates fits, even can use same L-plate with k5!
12-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Many thanks everyone for all your helpful advice. I've gone ahead and ordered a K-30. Found a K-50 body for £30/50USD more so may have been tempted to go for that if I had seen the offer first. However, there doesn't seem much difference between the specs of the two. Paid £359/593USD for the K-30 body which is as good as it gets here in the UK with taxes. A K-5 ii would have been around £554/916USD and a K-5 iis would have been £634/1048USD. Will miss the top LCD display, and separate controls for metering and focus mode of the K-10D but I guess I will adjust to that. Reassured that the TCs should work. With a bit of luck the K-30 will arrive today.

Paul
12-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think you'll greatly enjoy the choice, and appreciate the fine value. You'll be amazed at the step up in overall image quality and performance. Be sure to take advantage of live view for changing perspective, and for conveniently getting all the information you got from the top panel. I find it far more convenient and readable than top panel on the K20D, frankly.

Still, hopefully you'll be able to hang onto the K10D, as well, the last of the fine CCDs. You probably can get at least as much quality out of the old unit at 100 ISO for portraiture and especially flowers and similar color work. Something about the old CCD color look doesn't come through as well in the newer units.
12-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
... My philosophy is to put my cash in glass, not bodies..
+1 Totally agree.