Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Someone using the Muted color mode?

I've been searching but I have found very little about this Muted mode on the forum. This afternoon I was playing around with the color modes to check which one suits my taste better, I think Bright mode is not good, it clips reds and blues very bad. Natural is the one I've been using the most, but something I don't like too much about Natural, it is a bit flat, but acceptable for general use, but going for +1 saturation can make people look reddish.

Now, on my tests, by increasing saturation to the plus side on Muted mode and by taking the other adjustments to the center, I started getting the skin tones I was looking for, the only drawback I see is the greens have lower intensity, something I will check soon on the field.

Have you noticed Portrait mode a bit soft on details? maybe it is just me, but I've got that impression (the softness would make sense for portraits anyway).

12-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really use these much, since I shoot raw and these settings only affect the jpegs (preview jpegs embedded in the raw container, too). I have it set to Natural. I sometimes enjoy film reversal or BW (with orange filter), though.
In regards to Portrait being soft, there are two types of sharpening available. And things like contrast and colour calibration can also make details more or less emphasized. But interesting idea to use the Muted as a starting point.
12-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I sometimes use Muted, but not for all round photography. I use muted to enhance or underline some mood or sentiment that
strikes me in the scene. Things like a damp, foggy day can come out very well with muted. Or that sun-drenched backlit
summer look can also work with muted and perhaps the cloudy or CTE white balance.

You seem to be searching for the perfect color setting to use for everything from now on to eternity. IMHO that's not the best
way to go about it. You're better off familiarizing yourself with all the different color settings and applying an appropriate one
on a scene-to-scene basis.

Regards,
--Anders.
12-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Really cool so many options this camera has! The only downside is the time you have to spend knowing and testing them. Natural, muted, and Reversal are being my favs. Great use of muted mode for those moods asp1880