Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2013, 03:48 AM   #1

Fresh owner, few questions (K30, Firmware, Exposure modes)

I've skimped through manual but it is very stingy on the "P Line, P Shift" functions of the green button.

Would anyone care to explain? I'm not sure what to make of it.

I don't much understand the "P" mode altogether, i mean, i understand it adjusts shutter and aperture, but I don't know what is "according to Program line" bit.

And firmware: My camera came loaded with the v1.00 firmware. I read somewhere on this forum that video got *worse* with firmware update, having more artefacts. Can anyone confirms? If thats the case I'm staying at v1.00.

12-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A program line is a set of exposure choices for every light level the camera can handle - from sunshine to moonlight.
Pentax cameras offer a handful of different program lines to choose from. They each prioritize large aperture, small aperture,
fast shutter or an all-round balance. You select a program line with a menu setting (I forget where it is).

P mode regulates exposure according to the program line selected in the menu setting:
1. The meter measures the light level (aka exposure value) of the scene according to the selected metering pattern.
2. Exposure compensation is applied to the measurement.
3. The program line is consulted to arrive at an exposure solution i.e. a shutter-aperture (and optionally auto-iso) combination.

P shift is a choice of an equivalent exposure instead of the program line solution. Instead of 1/100 f/4 you can use the control wheel
to shift one step to 1/50 f/5.6, two steps to 1/25 f/8, or you could shift one step in the opposite direction to 1/200 f/2.8.
All those exposure solutions are equivalent in the sense that they yield the same amount of light to the sensor.
But the pictures will in general be different.

You can try it out for yourself. Set the camera to P mode, go somewhere bright and see what exposure the camera chooses.
Then try shifting one or two steps each direction and see how the exposure changes. The pictures will all be the same brightness
but motion blur and depth of field will differ because of different shutter speeds and apertures.
Finally, press the green button to return to the unshifted program line-determined exposure.

Regards,
--Anders.
12-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #3

Firmware updates are released both to correct known problems and improve the cameras performance.

Whether you update or not is your choice but not updating means that known problems can affect your camera.

I've updated all 4 Pentax cameras I've owned including the K30 and never experienced a problem during or after the upgrade. I'm presently running K30 V1.05 without any conflicts.

I'm not saying you couldn't have a problem however if you follow the directions and especially ensure you have a freshly fully charged battery you are more than likely not going to experience problems.

It may happen that the firmware upgrade will return custom settings to default but that only happened to me once or twice. I suspect that the firmware update corrected a problem that used the
custom setting.

Also note that firmware V 1.05 includes all previous upgrades so this would be the only one you need apply.

Last edited by geru2000; 12-30-2013 at 07:09 AM.
12-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ploki, no one mentioned the unique program line that Pentax offers, MTF program. This will read the information about the Pentax lens on your camera and adjust the exposure according to the meter to use the best aperture on the lens, the one that maximizes the sharpness of the lens.

Program shift allows you to change either the shutter speed or the aperture, and the camera will change the other to give the same exposure. For example, if you have your camera program line set to MTF, and you see something that requires a higher shutter speed, you simply increase the shutter speed with the e-dial and the camera will open the aperture to compensate. You would not need to change your camera mode to accomplish this, as some other cameras would require. The green button would then return the camera to the original program line.

12-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Ploki, no one mentioned the unique program line that Pentax offers, MTF program. This will read the information about the Pentax lens on your camera and adjust the exposure according to the meter to use the best aperture on the lens, the one that maximizes the sharpness of the lens.

Program shift allows you to change either the shutter speed or the aperture, and the camera will change the other to give the same exposure. For example, if you have your camera program line set to MTF, and you see something that requires a higher shutter speed, you simply increase the shutter speed with the e-dial and the camera will open the aperture to compensate. You would not need to change your camera mode to accomplish this, as some other cameras would require. The green button would then return the camera to the original program line.
One thing though, K-30 doesn't have the option to change the Program Line setting at all, unlike K-5, but I assume it would most likely choose the best aperture/shutter speed/ISO value for maximum resolution anyway, I like the fact that you have the control over this in K-5.
01-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
One thing though, K-30 doesn't have the option to change the Program Line setting at all, unlike K-5, but I assume it would most likely choose the best aperture/shutter speed/ISO value for maximum resolution anyway, I like the fact that you have the control over this in K-5.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

By default in P mode either shutter speed and/or aperture can be changed by using the front or rear e- dials. This can further be changed to use EV or P Shift.

Pg.162 in the manual.
01-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

By default in P mode either shutter speed and/or aperture can be changed by using the front or rear e- dials. This can further be changed to use EV or P Shift.

Pg.162 in the manual.
Haha, looks like you have, I meant there is a preference setting for the program line with 5 different options in K-5(menu 3>5), AUTO/Normal/Sport(bias towards fast shutter speed)/Landscape(Maximum depth of field, i.e. bias towards small aperture)/Portrait(shallow depth of field, i.e. bias towards large aperture) and my personal favorite MTF(optimal resolution settings base on the lens mounted). This options alter the preferred ISO/aperture/shutter speed in each mode to suite different tastes, some people may always prefer shallow depth of field, some people like myself would like to have maximum sharpness in most situations, or someone would always prefer a higher shutter speed to freeze the action, the choice is yours. From what I read and handling of K-30 in store this setting is not available in K-30.

01-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haha, looks like you have, I meant there is a preference setting for the program line with 5 different options in K-5(menu 3>5), AUTO/Normal/Sport(bias towards fast shutter speed)/Landscape(Maximum depth of field, i.e. bias towards small aperture)/Portrait(shallow depth of field, i.e. bias towards large aperture) and my personal favorite MTF(optimal resolution settings base on the lens mounted). This options alter the preferred ISO/aperture/shutter speed in each mode to suite different tastes, some people may always prefer shallow depth of field, some people like myself would like to have maximum sharpness in most situations, or someone would always prefer a higher shutter speed to freeze the action, the choice is yours. From what I read and handling of K-30 in store this setting is not available in K-30.
I don't think I want a camera without programme line settings. K-3 for me, when I win the lottery. Until then, poor old K10D will have to do ...
01-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I don't think I want a camera without programme line settings. K-3 for me, when I win the lottery. Until then, poor old K10D will have to do ...
lol just get a K-5IIs, it's on fire sale
01-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

lol just get a K-5IIs, it's on fire sale
Nah, K-3 or nothing for me. The AF improvements are great for those of us who photograph wildlife, and the 24 mpx gives me more wiggle room with the 400.
01-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As strange as it sounds I am planning on getting a K-30 when I get home from the holidays as a second body.

My K-5 has been a faithful companion for over 3 years now with close to 60k shutter actuation, it's still going strong but I am thinking I need a 2nd SLR body(because I have too many prime lenses, I blame LBA), yes I do have a K-01 but it's got a purpose which is my dedicated manual focus lens platform, while I can also stick a AF lens on it, the AF speed and FPS in RAW mode really leaves a lot to be desired...I love the output of the Prime M engine and 16mp sensor combo, and with a familiar 2 e-dial setup and 100% coverage OVF and the reported more surefooted PDAF than K-5 it sounds really appealing to me. I know there are fewer customize settings/louder shutter sound/no shoulder LCD, but for $500 body only it's still a better deal than $898 for a K-5IIs IMHO.

Improvements in K-3 while always good to have, is not essential to my type of shooting, and it's quite a lot more expensive @ around AUD$1300 body only, and I'd probably have to get a few more HDDs to store all those larger files(I shoot RAW+ all the time), so I will give it a pass at this point.
01-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #12

Gotcha, never owning a K5 I wasn't aware of these settings.
However as you describe them they seem similar to the scene modes included in cameras like the K30, K50, and K500, just implemented differently?
01-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Gotcha, never owning a K5 I wasn't aware of these settings.
However as you describe them they seem similar to the scene modes included in cameras like the K30, K50, and K500, just implemented differently?
I suppose you are right, I haven't had a camera with scene modes since I got my K-5 so I am no expert in this subject, but I thought in scene mode the camera makes all the decisions for you, while in Hyper-P mode you can override their decision with a flick of one of the e-dials.
01-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #14

Original Poster
I suppose you are right, I haven't had a camera with scene modes since I got my K-5 so I am no expert in this subject, but I thought in scene mode the camera makes all the decisions for you, while in Hyper-P mode you can override their decision with a flick of one of the e-dials.
Yep. K-30 under scene mode has dials disabled
01-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Ploki Quote
Yep. K-30 under scene mode has dials disabled
Thanks to both of you I've learned something.

I've had scene modes on all the DSLR's I've owned but I've never used them, in-fact I've never used any auto/program modes with the exception of Auto Focus.