Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Just got battery holder for k30

Under 3usd from ebay and it works great with eneloops. This is one thing I did like so much with my k100d. I did buy 11x4-sets eneloops with price of one original pentax battery...and one eneloop set have twice asmuch power as original k30batt. Eneloops are simply the greatest batts. Now i have same batts for all my photo gear including my 3 cameras (outs but fourth k5 no) and all my flashes and radiotriggers

Last edited by Joojoo2010; 01-03-2014 at 08:23 AM.
01-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

My experience, depending on weather and the demand put on the K-30 in session, is that even a new, fully charged set of Eneloops (or the Duracell relabel) will exhaust under pressure, and then restore if given a few minutes rest. The low voltage of the AA really stresses current output. You need probably two spare AA sets to ensure that you have enough power for a full day of shooting. I tend to bring a mix my spare dedicated batteries (Watson from B/H is a good alternative) with my AA sets. If I absolutely had to depend on one way or the other, I'd stick with dedicated just as matter of more predictable results (even if you get less shots out of the typical charge).
01-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok thanks for ur advice. Lets see how my new eneloops work, now they still show full batt on camera indicatorbut i have not use them so much...yet. I have also set of new 2550mah eneloops i will try them next and compare with original eneloops. I will report here after...
01-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be cautious about waiting for the low battery indicator. My K10D usually lights up with 3-5 shots remaining. The newer batteries have a very flat voltage/discharge ratio, but a steep drop off once the voltage lowers. Carry spares. Keep track roughly of the shots you have taken with a given set, and change out before any shoot where you expect to take more than a few images, and would lose something important changing batteries. The newer batteries don't take a set from charging, so swap out, and charge up.

01-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
My experience, depending on weather and the demand put on the K-30 in session, is that even a new, fully charged set of Eneloops (or the Duracell relabel) will exhaust under pressure, and then restore if given a few minutes rest. The low voltage of the AA really stresses current output. You need probably two spare AA sets to ensure that you have enough power for a full day of shooting. I tend to bring a mix my spare dedicated batteries (Watson from B/H is a good alternative) with my AA sets. If I absolutely had to depend on one way or the other, I'd stick with dedicated just as matter of more predictable results (even if you get less shots out of the typical charge).

+1 for for sticking with the dedicated batteries as your primaries but I would always have Eneloops as an emergency backup since they hold there charge for a very long time. I'm no battery expert but I ensure my new Eneloops are fully cycled at least 2 times. Once or twice in a flashlight then in the camera.
01-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought a third-party AA adapter for my K-30 as well. I used it with my Eneloops and the Amazon Basics equivalent. DEFINITELY holds a weak candle to the cell that came with the machine. In my experience, the AAs did not last anywhere near as long (I don't have numbers, sorry) and after several uses, the cheap battery holder began having errors with the camera, specifically: If I turned off the camera, even with an indicator showing the Eneloops were fully-charged, the camera would not power back on unless I opened the battery door, popped the batteries/adapter out, and then popped it back in. It was a hassle, and not worth it for the slight convenience. I ended up getting a Wasabi cell from Amazon and it is AMAZING. It was less than $20 and I can't tell the difference between it and the original battery as far as functionality.
01-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I bought a third-party AA adapter for my K-30 as well. I used it with my Eneloops and the Amazon Basics equivalent. DEFINITELY holds a weak candle to the cell that came with the machine. In my experience, the AAs did not last anywhere near as long (I don't have numbers, sorry) and after several uses, the cheap battery holder began having errors with the camera, specifically: If I turned off the camera, even with an indicator showing the Eneloops were fully-charged, the camera would not power back on unless I opened the battery door, popped the batteries/adapter out, and then popped it back in. It was a hassle, and not worth it for the slight convenience. I ended up getting a Wasabi cell from Amazon and it is AMAZING. It was less than $20 and I can't tell the difference between it and the original battery as far as functionality.
I never found a UK source of the often recommended Wasabi K-30 equivalents, so bought a few cheap Amazon Li-ions, all of which were nowhere near the measured capacity of the Pentax despite claims of up to 2000mAh- except for a DSTE labeled one which was nigh on identical real mAh to the Pentax.

I also have an ebay chinese AA adapter which works very well with Eneloops or GP Recykos, but you do have to appreciate the huge number of contact surfaces in a 4 cell adapter, 10 as opposed to 2 with a Li-ion, and each contact can easily lose tens of millivolts if they're not scrupulously clean. All these voltage losses add up to a significant amount which can cause premature camera shutdown. I use a smear of preserving contact cleaner on all my AAs and adapter contacts and have had 1000+ shots from a set.