Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K30/50 with tripod plates

I did notice that k30 not stay firm on my sunwayfoto lplate. After inspection i did notice bottom of camera is not straight, under lcd screen bottom is little raised up. Looks k50 have same stupid design. This will easyly cause problems with tripod plates that have camera rotate stopper on back of the plate. U can look example of plate like that here
Amazon.com: SUNWAYFOTO brand Arca-Swiss compatible Universal L Plate DPL-02 DPL02 Sunway: Camera & Photo

I hope in next coming models pentax will not make body bottom designs like this anymore.tnx

01-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I hope Pentax will start making products that fit accessories of other brands. Compatibility with competitors and support industries should be their priority.
01-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

As far as I can tell the bottom of my K-30 is perfectly straight and fits very steady on my Manfrotto QR plates as well as a video tripod. If I place a steel rule across the bottom I do see some gaps between the ruler and the body but the gaps seem to tiny to be of any consequence - less than the thickness of a hair I think.

Could it be a manufacturing defect with your particular copy ?

What I think might sometimes be a problem are the four 'feet' at the corners if some but not all of them are on the plate. If that is aproblem perhaps the best solution would be a plastic shim with holes for the 'feet'.
01-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Markins makes a very nice plate that fits k-5, k-3 I've used the same plate on my k-x as well. Fits perfect and no twisting. They don't mention k-50 but you could ask them if it would work. Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> PG-34N

01-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lister: Look here under back lcd (right side in this pic) under viewfinder u will see bottom is little up and not same level with main bottom of body. If u look amazon link of plate having rotation stopper on back of plate then its clear that camera bottom must be straight for rotation stopper to work properly. I have also other plates with rotation stopper design and they do fit nicely to my k5. I do not like normal 'plain' plates cos sometimes camera start rotate on tripod especially when mounting cam in 'potrait' position.
Attached Images

01-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jatrax: looks like that model anti-twist flange/rotation stopper is more longer and little rounded shape also so maybe that model design would fit ok for k30/50 body too
01-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Lister: Look here under back lcd (right side in this pic) under viewfinder u will see bottom is little up and not same level with main bottom of body. If u look amazon link of plate having rotation stopper on back of plate then its clear that camera bottom must be straight for rotation stopper to work properly. I have also other plates with rotation stopper design and they do fit nicely to my k5. I do not like normal 'plain' plates cos sometimes camera start rotate on tripod especially when mounting cam in 'potrait' position.
Ah, now I see what you mean. I had missed the point about the anti rotation edge.
01-03-2014, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
Jatrax: looks like that model anti-twist flange/rotation stopper is more longer and little rounded shape also so maybe that model design would fit ok for k30/50 body too
My son's girl friend has a k-30 and she was here this past weekend, so I could have checked. She is back at work now, so I cannot but next time she stops in with her camera I'll take a look.

It did work fine on k-x and I put it on k-5 later and it worked just fine as well.

01-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #9

Speaking of L brackets - has anyone found one with a reasonable price that works well on a K30 and is Arca Swiss compatible?

Last edited by Steven Chain; 01-06-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling error
04-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steven Chain Quote
Speaking of L brackets - has anyone found one with a reasonable price that works well on a K30 and is Arca Swiss compatible?
I picked up a similar Sunwayfoto one: DPL-03 Universal Q-R L Plate (I got mine at Amazon but I'm sure they're available elswhere). The lip is slightly too high, but I solved that by cutting out a piece of adhesive-backed cork liner (the thin kind that you can use for coasters or to line drawers with) I had sitting around, and now it fits perfectly. For just a regular plate, I use the Sunwayfoto DPG-39; this one has a straight lip that works perfectly when mounted backwards (i.e., lip rests agains the front of the camera body underneath the lens mount).

--Steve
04-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #11

The bottom of my K-30 is flat. No rear lip.
04-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bcriverjunky Quote
The bottom of my K-30 is flat. No rear lip.
The lip is on the plate, not the camera. The camera is flat so if you get a plate with a lip it keeps the plate from twisting around the mounting screw.
04-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Have you tried a thin piece of rubber glued to the top of the L-plate where the camera sits? It would increase the friction on the camera base. At auto part stores you can get sheets of that gasket material that you can cut to size.