Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I used Portra 160 and the like for portraits and weddings.
Brilliant idea! I forgot about that film! One of my favorites for portrait and street photography! Maybe I should attempted to recreate that for my auto/semi-auto mode JPEGs!

01-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
It's amazing

My JPEG settings (K-30) for a Kodak Ektar 100 warm color look:
Bright
- Saturation: +2
- Hue: -1
- High/Low Key: +-0
- Contrast +2
- Sharpness -4
- AWB G1, A2
01-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hopsing Quote
It's amazing

My JPEG settings (K-30) for a Kodak Ektar 100 warm color look:
Bright
- Saturation: +2
- Hue: -1
- High/Low Key: +-0
- Contrast +2
- Sharpness -4
- AWB G1, A2
Thanks, hopsing! Very much appreciated!
01-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

DxO Optics Pro 9 comes with film packs, Velvia is in there and it pops but I've no idea if it's close to the real thing.

01-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
DxO Optics Pro 9 comes with film packs, Velvia is in there and it pops but I've no idea if it's close to the real thing.
Thanks for turning my attention to DxO! I've read about it before, but I've always been a ACR user. Pro 9 looks amazing! And there's a free trial!
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To get the exact look you want with the custom settings, use the software that came with your camera to experiment.

Once you load an image in the software, all the controls are there to test and try every combination of adjustments you are talking about. Once you arrive at one that suits you, just plug those settings into you camera.
01-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
bsamcash, if you use Mac, you can try Raw Photo Processor (RPP). It's a freeware RAW converter, that have color and film noise profiles from Fuji, Kodak etc. films.

01-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
To get the exact look you want with the custom settings, use the software that came with your camera to experiment.
Thanks, stormtech. I didn't know you could do that.

QuoteOriginally posted by MiLKMAN Quote
bsamcash, if you use Mac, you can try Raw Photo Processor (RPP). It's a freeware RAW converter, that have color and film noise profiles from Fuji, Kodak etc. films.
Ding-ding-ding-ding! Looks like we may have a winner! I'm going to check this out right now!
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Once you load an image in the software, all the controls are there to test and try every combination of adjustments you are talking about. Once you arrive at one that suits you, just plug those settings into you camera.
So I've been trying the Silkypix software that came with my K-50, but I cannot find the panel you were mentioning. Do you know if it's only available in the Windows version? Also, it is pretty slow.

And for what it's worth, I'm giving the trial version on Intensify Pro a go. It still isn't the quick in-camera production I was hoping for, but it seems promising, and it's included in the current MacHeist nanoBundle for $20.
01-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
So I've been trying the Silkypix software that came with my K-50, but I cannot find the panel you were mentioning. Do you know if it's only available in the Windows version? Also, it is pretty slow.

And for what it's worth, I'm giving the trial version on Intensify Pro a go. It still isn't the quick in-camera production I was hoping for, but it seems promising, and it's included in the current MacHeist nanoBundle for $20.
There are 2 versions of software that comes with Pentax cameras - I have one of them installed for my K-5, but do have a copy of the one that comes with the K-30 which should be the same as for the K-50.

I am sure the same feature is there - give me until tomorrow to load the other software and I'll help you find that feature.
01-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well, I was wrong I guess. I installed the software that comes with the K-30 which is Silkypix Developer Studio 3.0. It does not have the same controls for image output as Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4,0 that comes with the K-5 series.

In PDCU you have the choice of all the different jpeg camera settings and also the adjustments for all the color details. One thing I tried was loading a dng from the K-30 into PDCU and noticed that some of the adjustments were not available anyway.

Sorry to mislead you - I am used to the K-5 series cameras and PDCU - I thought the Developer Studio would work the same.
01-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I was wrong I guess. I installed the software that comes with the K-30 which is Silkypix Developer Studio 3.0. It does not have the same controls for image output as Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4,0 that comes with the K-5 series.
Thanks for the help.

I wonder if it's possible to request a copy of Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 from Ricoh.
01-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are downloads on the Canadian site all the way back to the *istD.
01-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
There are downloads on the Canadian site all the way back to the *istD.
Cool. Mind pointing me where? I only see updates.
01-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

You might want to have a look at this: Film Stocks
It comes as plugin for Photoshop (as well for a few other programs) and emulates quite a few film brands... Fujifilm is there as well.