Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Digital Filters Question

Forgive me if this has been asked. I did a search and came up empty.

I was looking to do a bit of high contrast, B&W street shooting. I like the effect that I got straight out of the camera using B&W custom image + a high contrast digital filter setting. This works in JPEG mode but I wanted to shoot raw+ so that I could get jpegs with the look I wanted without having to do extra work in Lightroom but still get RAW files that I could process differently if I happened to get a stellar photo. When I switch to RAW+, the B&W custom image setting remains but the digital filter is automatically turned off. This doesn't really make sense to me. Shouldn't the RAW+ setting leave the JPEG processing alone or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

01-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would think that since you're shooting RAW, you should be able to input the digital filter setting during post-production (like you would be able to change the white balance of a RAW image file after the fact) but I'm not sure. I do not have a Pentax DSLR nor have I ever tried to shoot with my camera set to monochrome mode.
01-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photographyguy74 Quote
I would think that since you're shooting RAW, you should be able to input the digital filter setting during post-production (like you would be able to change the white balance of a RAW image file after the fact) but I'm not sure. I do not have a Pentax DSLR nor have I ever tried to shoot with my camera set to monochrome mode.
My thought was that if the filters effect the JPEG files only, then I should be able to shoot in RAW+JPEG to get the JPEG output that I want and still maintain the original raw file. Instead, I have to shoot in jpeg and then hit the exposure compensation button to saw the RAW file manually. Otherwise, the camera will turn off the filter automatically if I'm in RAW+ mode.
01-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um, I don't know about digital filters, never used them, but it should work as you say. You can enable all the lens corrections, shadow correction, jpeg mode (landscape, black and white) and digital filters and these should affect the jpegs and also the preview jpegs embedded in the dng file. I find it odd that the camera wouldn't let you do that. Which specific camera do you have? And are you using the latest firmware?

Btw: Maybe some other feature is preventing digital filters. For example, if you turn on 2sec timer, SR is automatically disabled. There might be a similar relationship with digital filters and some other setting.

01-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #5

Per the manual:

QuoteQuote:
Digital Filter is not available in the following situations.
• when Z (Night Scene HDR) of H mode is set
• when the file format is set to [RAW] or [RAW+]
The K-50 has the same limitation.
01-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
Per the manual:

Well, that would explain things.
01-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
Per the manual:

man, seems stupid. Those type of things are one of the few reasons to use the RAW+ setting, IMHO. Lame!
01-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The idea of raw is it has all the information w/o (essentially) any processing. Otherwise what if you later decide you wanted color? It gives you all your option intact--but at the expense of more work.

The jpg is the shortcut. 90% of the time what you want may work but what about the 10% when your screwed because you lost the option to use color?

01-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
The idea of raw is it has all the information w/o (essentially) any processing. Otherwise what if you later decide you wanted color? It gives you all your option intact--but at the expense of more work.

The jpg is the shortcut. 90% of the time what you want may work but what about the 10% when your screwed because you lost the option to use color?
That's what I mean though. I want to use RAW+ so I have the original RAW file and the jpeg with the filters. The fact that the filters are turned off if your in RAW+ is stupid. It should give me the RAW file untouched and the JPEG with the filters. Best of both worlds. Less PP when I want it, untouched RAW files when I need it. You can get this operation manually if you shoot in jpeg and then retrieve the RAW file from the buffer, why couldn't they just make the RAW+ work with filters and make this operation automatic?
01-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter

You are correct/I misunderstood.

I don't normally use them and I had forgotten they don't do it in RAW+.

As you say you can apply the filter and process the image in camera (I can on my K20d). As the image can be processed to make the jpg, one would think it could be processed with a digital filter, but maybe the computation overhead is too large and they did not want to have a larger time delay. I don't know about other models--but not on my K20d or my Kx either. But you are correct--it would be very useful--and a good learning tool (e.g., an immediate response to see how B&W filters work).
01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yeah, it can sort of do it. If you take the jpeg, and then hit the exposure button, it will ask if you want to retrieve the raw file from the buffer. This is a work around but could prevent you from missing a shot if you're wasting time messing with buttons instead of shooting. The jpeg shows up almost instantaneous. You wouldn't think it would be too much work to save the processed jpeg and the raw file. Gotta be a reason for it, I guess.
01-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by sumx4182 Quote
Yeah, it can sort of do it. If you take the jpeg, and then hit the exposure button, it will ask if you want to retrieve the raw file from the buffer. This is a work around but could prevent you from missing a shot if you're wasting time messing with buttons instead of shooting. The jpeg shows up almost instantaneous. You wouldn't think it would be too much work to save the processed jpeg and the raw file. Gotta be a reason for it, I guess.
You could also shoot RAW and develop JPEGs in the camera during playback, at which point you can choose to use digital filters. See page 189 of the manual.
01-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
dms
Site Supporter

Well--I tried w/ my K20d--and if I pick B&W (monochrome) and Raw+, I get a B&W jpg displayed and when I copy files into Adobe (Photoshop) Bridge I get a B&W jpg and a regular .dng (raw) file--it looks B&W but when I click on it it's color. So it works!

Whether it works with additional filters is something else, and whether it works in other camera models--I don't know. But have you tried just setting it to the monochrome (w/o other filters) and RAW+?
01-04-2014, 09:38 PM   #14
dms
Site Supporter

It also works on my K-x. Under custom image I picked BW (monochrome) and RAW+. And I get a B&W jpg and color Raw (.dng file).
01-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #15

Monochrome falls under Custom Image (Bright, Normal, Bleach Bypass, Cross Process, etc.), which does work with RAW.