Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 02:27 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 on order - muttering to myself

I just ordered a K-30. Why do I need a K-30? I probably don't. But then again.....

I already have six Pentax film SLRs from a recent eBay frenzy, a Canon EOS-70D, and an iPhone with a pretty good camera on it.
I also have somewhere around two-dozen old K-mount lenses.

The K-30 was inexpensive and, according to the vendor, like new. No lens included.
Its also black. I wanted white. I have a week to get over it.
Its from a vendor who supports this site, so I promise not to hold any resentments based on its generic coloration.

So what am I going to do with this? I'm gonna put a big, heavy, manual-everything lens on it and carry it around like a K1000 with film in it. I might even shoot some pictures.

So why carry the K-30 instead of the Canon or one of the film cameras? I'm supposed to be moving toward "real photography".
"Real Photography" is an argument I lost with my (now ex) wife. She is a "real photographer". Me with a K1000, 50mm 1:2 shooting 35mm color film and dropping it off at Walgreens disqualified me. To her, film is black & white, medium format, and developed in your own darkroom. If it isn't going to hang in a gallery show, don't even wind the shutter. So I sold my K1000. I was never allowed to touch her 645.

So all I really wanted was my K1000 back. I bought a full Canon EOS-70D kit instead. Pre-ordered it. Paid full price. Its a wonderful camera with a pile of lenses. It does everything that I don't, and a few things that I do. Kinda like my Ex. Its also the most expensive thing I own. I'm afraid to take it out of the house.

Film is dead, right? Who wants to invest in antique hardware that needs constant fixing and has a film addiction? Oh, wait. Is that the camera, or me?
Is using a K-30 as a manual camera with a digital sensor some kind of crime against technology? I hope so. Technology has it coming. As long as they're in a protected environment, mechanical film cameras will live nearly forever. Has anyone ever inherited a DSLR that has been passed down for generations? That's why I bought it used. By the time I kill it, I may be 100% film again. Just like in the 80s.

I also ordered about 50 rolls of film. It looks like I will be following BOTH paths for a while. Maybe I will sell the Canon and buy an enlarger.

01-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

The equipment will tell you where you're going. Just take it out and use it. Sooner or later, you'll develop your own style and comfort level and not worry about what the world or your last wife have in mind. And welcome to the forum.
01-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I also ordered about 50 rolls of film. It looks like I will be following BOTH paths for a while.
There are several here that follow both paths.. I happen to be one of them .
01-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There's nothing wrong with film. I started working in my dad's darkroom with him before the age of 10.Then set up my own darkroom at the age of 14. But I disposed of my darkroom equipment 5 years ago. The ease of digital spoils you. It's good to see some people are staying with film though. It's a different art, and a different mindset, and it can produce great images... even though I don't use it anymore, I'll be sad if there comes a day when film dies altogether. I don't support it, but it's comforting to know it's there.

Last edited by normhead; 01-05-2014 at 11:11 AM.
01-05-2014, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think film is just far enough out of the mainstream for it to count as "doing your own thing" again. I've always had a severe case of that.
01-11-2014, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The camera was delivered today. Its a K50 instead of a K30. They're pretty much the same camera. I'm not sure who was confused, but chances are it was me. I put an old SMC 1:35 135 on and started hunting for the cat.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-11-2014, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it truly is a rebadged K-30 then I'm sure you will adore it. It has a lot of features like interval shooting, multiple exposure stacking, HDR, and a decent JPG engine (except for red colors). The K-30 is a photographer's camera for the photographer.

Now quit muttering and start shooting more pictures like that of your cat!
01-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like your ex was a real "something" all right...

Sell the Canon for more film, more developing, and more lenses. Post, print, shoot more, throw away your old work when it stops looking good to you, and keep shooting, always keep shooting.

01-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had a B&W darkroom complete with a huge dry mount press a LONG time ago and personally I never want to go back there!

Mixing chemicals and bathing my hands in chemicals in a dimply lit 10X10' room with little ventilation of the caustic smells for 6-8 hours at a time might seem nostalgic now but I don't intend to ever go back there.
Chemical are expensive and you can't go in there for a quick couple of prints....when you mix those trays, you're in there for at least 4-6 hours.
...give me the digital equipment and Photoshop/DxO and I'll take an hour here & there to play at my leisure....

PS...cute kitty!
05-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Aquadome I enjoyed reading your rant, guess you touched on some of my own personal experiences. May I 'share' elsewhere please? Perhaps in G+?

Thanks,
Peter
05-05-2014, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's one of the reason's why they're called an "ex"... I've never understood the whole "real..." attitude. We grew up without a lot of money, so we wore cheap shoes like Traxxx (with the three nasty velcro strips), and some dude would look at my shoes, laugh, and then say something stupid like, "Real runners where Nike's". Then I would whip his tail in a race, and he would just come up with something else to doubt me about. Results are where it's at. If you get pictures that make you happy, regardless of the "method", sounds to me like you're winning the race.

Do what makes you happy. The best part that we tend to forget during the "ex" conversion is that their opinions aren't supposed to carry the same gravity as they once did. Impact is only what we allow it to be. Easier said than done, but take it from somebody that's been married three times. All the crap that comes along with a split is supposed to be equalized by one bright, shiny thing -- you get to call your own shots again, and not have to worry about how they impact the other person.

If you want to strap a bunch of old manual glass on a new camera body -- have at it. If you want to play with your film era stuff -- get to it. If you want to leave the bathroom door open when you use the can -- make it happen. Looking forward to seeing some posted pictures in the near future