Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to Do Custom White Balance on K30

Hello guys, i have been searchin on the net and cant find a direct answer. (I know i have a manual, but its pretty confusing)
Can you guys post a mini or just a very simple step by step guide how to do custom white balance on a K30?

I tried CTE in manual mode, pointed the lens with white balance cap to the light source and press FX button, when i try shooting again, everything turns yellowish. I might have done wrong.
Please guys. Thank you!

01-05-2014, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CTE is not custom white balance, it is the exact opposite. CTE emphasizes the colours and is useful for things like sunsets. What you need to choose is the icon with a square and two triangles beneath its sides. The text should also say "Custom white balance" near the top of the screen, I think its the rightmost choice
You use that and then it lets you take a shot (this is when you press shutter button) and it will take an auto WB. But there is a problem here! A very long exposure might not work. So you need to have decent light to do this or a higher ISO. Don't try doing custom WB when you have the camera in M mode with ISO 100 and 30 sec exposure, it will probably fail.
Anyway, after the shutter, the camera will automatically set the WB such that the thing aimed it at is "white" and allow you to use buttons to tweak it further. Just make sure you press the right button to confirm your decision! I often press the wrong button, which cancels it all out and then i have to do it all over again

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-05-2014 at 10:38 AM.
01-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Before searching Internet, just check your camera's manual.
01-05-2014, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #4

To do a Custom White Balance:

Take your shot with the disk. If you have the display set to display then let it run it's cycle.

With the 4 way controller select WB It will select the last shot you took which should be with the WB disk in the background.

Move the controller to Custom WB (there are 3 you can save) select 1

Select the info button if there needs to be changes such as get rid of blue cast and etc

[B]When done press OK

Leave it on that custom setting and you're all set.

Do the same for a Kelvin Adjustment or any others.

01-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

White balance cap? I'll have to look at this. Personally I use a neutral gray chart that I keep in my bag:

In shooting mode, bring up the manual whte balance screen as geru2000 explained, select one of the three user defined wb, aim at the gray card and press the shutter. A yellow square appears on the screen. using the four way controllers move the square so that it is completely filled with the gray card. Press ok button and you're set.

Regards
01-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you so much guys!!!!
01-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
White balance cap? I'll have to look at this. Personally I use a neutral gray chart that I keep in my bag:

In shooting mode, bring up the manual whte balance screen as geru2000 explained, select one of the three user defined wb, aim at the gray card and press the shutter. A yellow square appears on the screen. using the four way controllers move the square so that it is completely filled with the gray card. Press ok button and you're set.

Regards
Expodisk is the big boy when it comes to WB disks. I've seen several tests comparing them to disks costing 1/10th the $ and there is very little difference between them the largest difference was 125 kelvin which is barely discernable with human eye.

I normally use a sheet of white paper in the light I'm shooting to get my custom WB.

For critical exposure I use a seconic 305c Iight meter or else I use the cameras meter +2/3 stop of EV this seems to hit exposure right on in situations other than bright sunlight. Histogram reaches both ends with the EV adjustment.

01-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just be careful if you use a paper, that it actually is white! Some print papers might have a blue-ish tint to them
01-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Just be careful if you use a paper, that it actually is white! Some print papers might have a blue-ish tint to them
I've used paper for years (I actually carry a pad similar to a steno pad) in my bag and have never experienced a problem obtaining a good WB. Most white paper has a number for brightness on the package and even the cheapest paper reaches 92 although I've seen 88, which I've never used.

Playing last night with setting custom WB under CFL lighting the shot was reddish with yellow then converted to gray. Using that custom balance setting I took shots at ISO 6400 and also with flash on camera and my METZ AF 48 WB was spot on. AWB was completely fooled by the CFL it balanced for tungsten even with flash. Although the AWB usually does a respectable job.

One problem using paper is if it becomes creased the shadows those creases cause can be a problem the paper must be flat that's the reason for me carrying a covered paper pad.
01-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks geru2000 about the precision on wb disks. good info.
01-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
Thanks geru2000 about the precision on wb disks. good info.
You are welcome
01-07-2014, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #12

I've posted a PDF to Drop box on setting a CUSTOM/MANUAL White Balance on the K30 but I'm sure it's the same on other Pentax Camera Models.

Hope it helps

It's the first time I've used the publishing program (Serif Page Plus X7) so don't laugh. How ever please do make suggestions.
01-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #13

Original Poster
geru2000 Thank you so much for this one!! im sure a lot of beginners will find this very useful... Godbless!
01-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by rp_dxn Quote
geru2000 Thank you so much for this one!! im sure a lot of beginners will find this very useful... Godbless!
Your're very welcome hope it helps you.
01-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
I've posted a PDF to Drop box on setting a CUSTOM/MANUAL White Balance on the K30 but I'm sure it's the same on other Pentax Camera Models.

Hope it helps

It's the first time I've used the publishing program (Serif Page Plus X7) so don't laugh. How ever please do make suggestions.

really appreciate this tut. thanks.