Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 110
To kit lens or not to kit lens........

So, it appears my k-x took a dump and is not usable. I purchased it in 2010 and it did well.

I'm thinking of the K-50 body only and using the lenses from the K-x. They are in good shape, but they are still kit lenses. I know they are not WR types, but that is not that big a deal for me.

I considered the k-500, but the viewfinder focus points and level sure would have helped a few times.

I shoot mostly my kids sports and some other things. Certainly nothing for money anymore.

So, the K-50 body with k-x kit lenses????? Any issues there???

01-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member
NicoleC's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 448
I'm using my K-x kit lenses with the K3. No problems.
01-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,530
What kit lenses do you have? If you have the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II then it is still about the best of the 18-55 class. As for others, the question is whether the optical design has changed enough for an upgrade to be worthwhile.
01-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 110
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
What kit lenses do you have? If you have the SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II then it is still about the best of the 18-55 class. As for others, the question is whether the optical design has changed enough for an upgrade to be worthwhile.
the lenses are
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED lenses

They are not weather sealed (green ring) so I believe they are the DA L lenses.

01-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,863
Hey there. The Pentax kit lenses are fairly good for kit lenses. But if you are buying a new camera, it might come bundled with a brand new WR kit lens at a great discount. This is why a lot of people buy the kit lens bundle - it costs only a little more than the body only, but comes with a very useful lens. Especially if you can get the 18-135mm WR.
But your kit lens will perform quite well on a K-30 or K-50. In fact, the photos with it will probably look better due to the improved, newer sensor, and you can save the money to buy a DA 50mm f1.8 some time later, for that boosted IQ
01-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,501
QuoteOriginally posted by ziscwg Quote
the lenses are
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED lenses

They are not weather sealed (green ring) so I believe they are the DA L lenses.
Are you sure the 18-55 doesn't have the II (version 2) designation on it? The KX came out more than 18 months after the original version was discontinued in January 2008. It does make a bit of a difference - especially on the wide end. The design is different.
01-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,125
QuoteOriginally posted by ziscwg Quote
the lenses are
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED lenses

They are not weather sealed (green ring) so I believe they are the DA L lenses.
The DA L 18-55mm non-WR has the same optical design as the DA 18-55mm II, DA L 18-55mm WR, and DA 18-55mm WR, so you should be in good shape.

However, getting the 18-55mm kit lens with the K-50 is an easy way to get started with a weather-sealed setup if you don't already have any weather sealed lenses. Note that Pentax released a new version of the DA L 18-55mm with weather sealing just for the K-50.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 110
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Are you sure the 18-55 doesn't have the II (version 2) designation on it? The KX came out more than 18 months after the original version was discontinued in January 2008. It does make a bit of a difference - especially on the wide end. The design is different.
I will have to look at the lens or the box to see which one I have.

01-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 110
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The DA L 18-55mm non-WR has the same optical design as the DA 18-55mm II, DA L 18-55mm WR, and DA 18-55mm WR, so you should be in good shape.

However, getting the 18-55mm kit lens with the K-50 is an easy way to get started with a weather-sealed setup if you don't already have any weather sealed lenses. Note that Pentax released a new version of the DA L 18-55mm with weather sealing just for the K-50.
I'd probably save the cash for a DA 50mm 1.8 or something like that. That lens would come in handy in some of the lower light situations I have been in.
01-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
PJ1
Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,530
It is always nice to indulge yourself with a new lens along with a new body. Considering what you already have (and there is nothing wrong with those lenses) I agree with others - the 18-135 WR would be a good choice if it is bundled at the right price.
01-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 110
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Are you sure the 18-55 doesn't have the II (version 2) designation on it? The KX came out more than 18 months after the original version was discontinued in January 2008. It does make a bit of a difference - especially on the wide end. The design is different.

I looked on the front of the lens where all that info would seem to be and it does NOT have the II on it. So, I guess I got an older one. It did fine for the most part, but that just adds a bit of fuel to get the 18-55 WR that comes with the k-50
01-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 377
Get the new WR kit lens. As a current owner of the K-50 kit and a former owner of the K-x and K-r kits, the WR version is at least superior in build quality and my copy definitely seems sharper than the others I've had. For 50 to 80 USD more than just the body, you can't go wrong.
01-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,501
QuoteOriginally posted by ziscwg Quote
I looked on the front of the lens where all that info would seem to be and it does NOT have the II on it. So, I guess I got an older one. It did fine for the most part, but that just adds a bit of fuel to get the 18-55 WR that comes with the k-50
Adam corrected me. If the lens is DA L (plastic mounting ring), you do have the newer optical design; apparently Pentax decided not to include the II designation on those lenses that went out with the K-X because the "DA L" is enough of a designation. Of course, the WR is a pretty big deal - worth getting on any WR body. All told there are 5 versions of the 18-55, and four of them are the new design! If it has "DA L" or "WR" in the name - it is the new design (and of course the "II" as well).
01-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 110
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Adam corrected me. If the lens is DA L (plastic mounting ring), you do have the newer optical design; apparently Pentax decided not to include the II designation on those lenses that went out with the K-X because the "DA L" is enough of a designation. Of course, the WR is a pretty big deal - worth getting on any WR body. All told there are 5 versions of the 18-55, and four of them are the new design! If it has "DA L" or "WR" in the name - it is the new design (and of course the "II" as well).
And I thought Shimano and all their mtb and road hardware naming antics was bad. At least Shimano put the exact model number somewhere on the part. The fun part was finding where they put it. You'd never think they could make writing that small on a part

Pentax..............well, they just give you a lens and say "go." It could have some distinctive writing on it, or maybe not
01-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 110
Original Poster
I'm certainly looking for a k-50 with the 18-55 kit lens (WR). I hope B&H has some sort of crazy Dr Martin Luther King sale
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, k-30, k-50, k-x, kit, kit lens, lenses, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A full lens set to upgrade the kit lens lbell Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 09-09-2013 09:57 AM
Additions to the kit: New lens or a tripod harish Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 33 04-10-2012 04:17 PM
Best budget or film lens to replace DA 18-55mm kit lens? amc654 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 03-12-2012 02:33 PM
To Kit Lens or Not to Kit Lens a.seki Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 05-02-2011 10:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top