Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

CES and Pentax K-30

Was at CES yesterday and spoke to one of their booth staff. I commented on how disappointed I was that the K-30's sharp lines did not make its way to newer Pentax DSLR. I was told that Pentax's customer research on the K-30 design led them to believe that the common rounded style of DSLR's was more desirable and that especially important to attracting females. I still think that ditching the ground breaking look of the K-30 is a big mistake and I feel that Pentax is going to be playing catchup in a few years when the sharp edge style makes its way into DSLR design. You can already see it in some Sony models.

He also mentioned that new product announcements will likely come in next months Japan show.

01-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I agree, the K-30 looks nicer than the K-50/500 imo.
There's also the OM-D E-M1 with it's more angular looks.
But I think the K-3 is a great compromise.
01-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
What I liked about the K-30 was that it had angular lines and details without being retro.It really felt like a breakthrough modern look that dated other DSLRs

I'm into industrial design so the K-30 I felt really hit a home run.
01-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

any photos to share?- I do love my K-30 too.

01-10-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by buzzyslr Quote
Was at CES yesterday and spoke to one of their booth staff. I commented on how disappointed I was that the K-30's sharp lines did not make its way to newer Pentax DSLR. I was told that Pentax's customer research on the K-30 design led them to believe that the common rounded style of DSLR's was more desirable and that especially important to attracting females. I still think that ditching the ground breaking look of the K-30 is a big mistake and I feel that Pentax is going to be playing catchup in a few years when the sharp edge style makes its way into DSLR design. You can already see it in some Sony models.

He also mentioned that new product announcements will likely come in next months Japan show.
Whatever sells better is obviously better for attracting new customers, which is the point of the K-500/K-50. The K-30 looked cool but I don't blame Pentax for easing back on the design.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2014, 04:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Love the stying of my k-30... but i cant help but feel that the camera went to market, for lack of a better word, "unfinished".
I can set exposure to full manual, center weighted, take repetitive snaps of the same still life , on a tripod, in controlled lighting settings, and still get various exposures and focal points. Sometimes its a bit frustrating.
01-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My other K-30 has that same issues, to my dismay, I have sent it to Pentax Cebu. Nevertheless, I am not expecting it to be back sooner...say a couple of months, knowing Pentax service support here.... 😩

01-10-2014, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing to add, but I agree that the dramatic and intentional angles of the K30 do make it much more attractive than any Canon camera, for sure. I like a man with nice square shoulders, not some slopey slouch. ;-)
01-10-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What I disliked about the K-30 was the different looking rubber grip parts... and after you used it for a while it started to look like the inside of leather sandals.
Other than that, the lines of the K-30 are more attractive to me that the K-50.

But then again, K-50 looks more mature... a K-30 will be your radical teenager .
01-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Love the stying of my k-30... but i cant help but feel that the camera went to market, for lack of a better word, "unfinished".
I can set exposure to full manual, center weighted, take repetitive snaps of the same still life , on a tripod, in controlled lighting settings, and still get various exposures and focal points. Sometimes its a bit frustrating.
Agreed, its my first dslr, styling and price were a decider.

Also frustrated by its inconsistent white balance, and blooming on LEDs, it just doesn't seem spot on like the RX-100. I'm not skilled enough yet, to go all manual and not care or fix it in post, fiddling with sliders. I really don't see why they can't fix this with a firmware update.

Coming from point-and-shoots, like Canon S95, RX-100, I never thought this would be bothering me so much. If I hadn't bought so many lenses I would switch to the Sony A7. Let's see...
01-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but i cant help but feel that the camera went to market, for lack of a better word, "unfinished".
QuoteOriginally posted by incidentflux Quote
Also frustrated by its inconsistent white balance, and blooming on LEDs, it just doesn't seem spot on like the RX-100. I'm not skilled enough yet, to go all manual and not care or fix it in post, fiddling with sliders. I really don't see why they can't fix this with a firmware update.

Hmm, interesting observations.I recently got a K-50 instead of a K-30 because the price difference was minimal and I wanted the Wi-Fi built-in functionality. But I wonder if Pentax made other, subtle tweaks to the K-50 to fix some of the issues you both have experienced.
01-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K30 body design made a few lenses very hard or impossible to use. There were threads here about a (I think) Samyang Tilt-Shift that the flash snoot blocked; and using any manual lens that required viewing the aperture ring was a chore.

I know that's a small slice of the buyers base - but it was a criticism.
01-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Screw drive lenses with backlash in their drive coupling can give some 'off' moments in AF and perhaps the K-30 is more sensitive to backlash - just guessing. I've never seen any exposure 'funny moments' from my K-30.
01-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I recently got a K-50 instead of a K-30 because the price difference was minimal and I wanted the Wi-Fi built-in functionality.
Do you mean 'WiFi card support' ? I don't think it has built-in WiFi.
01-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're correct. I meant support for the Eye-fi cards. Sorry for the confusion!