Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Al,

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
I'm not blaming you for buying it, per se. I'm blaming you for not returning it, then complaining about it after you found it didn't serve your needs! I buy a lot from on line retailers, and if something turns out to be less than what I thought it would be, or doesn't work out how I had hoped, I simply return it, not go on line to complain about it! Nothing is forcing you to use this camera except your own stubbornness to accept the fact you made an error by buying and keeping a camera that doesn't meet your needs or expectations!
I have an investment in Pentax lenses and I like the K-30 for stills. There isn't any Pentax camera I can use that doesn't have this same shutter problem in video mode, as far as I know. I'm not going to buy another one just to find out. I actually asked somebody who owns the K-50 who confirmed this shutter problem was identical on it as well.
As an engineer, I do know that this is something that could be fixed in firmware. Pentax is still making firmware updates for the K-30.

QuoteQuote:
The fact that this "problem" is never mentioned in any reviews tells me that it really isn't much of a problem or shortcoming to begin with. Why don't you just sell the K30, get another Canon, and quityerbitchin' !
Since you clearly aren't bothered by this problem, and have nothing helpful to offer to get it resolved, I suggest you keep off this thread.

01-16-2014, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Al,

I have an investment in Pentax lenses and I like the K-30 for stills. There isn't any Pentax camera I can use that doesn't have this same shutter problem in video mode, as far as I know. I'm not going to buy another one just to find out. I actually asked somebody who owns the K-50 who confirmed this shutter problem was identical on it as well.
As an engineer, I do know that this is something that could be fixed in firmware. Pentax is still making firmware updates for the K-30.

Since you clearly aren't bothered by this problem, and have nothing helpful to offer to get it resolved, I suggest you keep off this thread.
The shutter and mirror actuation hardware are mechanically linked in the K-30/50. That's not a firmware issue. Could firmware terminate the recording right before the shutter closes? Sure, but you can achieve the same thing with a simple video edit.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 01-16-2014 at 07:45 AM.
01-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I think this is an issue that theoretically could get fixed through firmware but it is something in my experience with pentax firmware releases they are unlikely to do. I don't think the shutter and mirror are mechanically linked because I know that a similar issue existed with my previous camera, k-x, that they improved with the K-30. When you are shooting in 2 sec remote control delay, the k-x would wait 2 seconds after it received the signal, lift the mirror, open the shutter, drop the mirror but the K-30 now lifts the mirror as soon as it gets the signal then waits 2 seconds, then takes the shot. This change happened because the mirror slap was disruptive and degraded image quality and people complained about it. To the best of my knowledge it was never fixed on the old cameras via firmware although I'm sure it could have been.

I would not say this is a bug but a "functions as designed" issue. The noise is certainly caused by an extraneous step but I think because it is only an issue for very special cases like yours it is hard to bubble it up to the top of the queue.

I would give it a try with the camera further away and if it resolves the audio problem, you can overcome the video quality problem by getting an old, cheap, manual focus prime at exactly the right focal length. You will probably get even better visual quality.
Closed Thread