Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Shutter noise at start/stop of video ... how to turn it off ?

This is an issue that has been bugging me since day 1 of getting the K-30 .

When I start or stop video recording, the K-30 makes a loud shutter noise.

This happens even though the K-30 is already in live view mode prior to recording, and is going back to live view at the end of recording as well. It seems completely unnecessary and would seem like a simple firmware fix. Yet the current firmware still has this bug.

The issue is that I'm trying to record live music. The click is extremely distracting to the performer (myself), especially if it happens in the middle of a performance, since the K-30 does not record continously. After the max clip length is exhausted, the K-30's shutter noise also gets picked up by my external audio recording gear, as well as my other cameras.

This shutter noise makes it impossible to use the K-30 for music video .

My Canon T3i DSLR does not have this issue at all. There is never shutter noise in video mode. And with magic lantern, the T3i restarts video recording automatically, all silently.

01-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The t3i is the better choice for video, so if you have one, I'd recommend sticking with it since it doesn't make any noises and continues recording automatically, as you said.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam,

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The t3i is the better choice for video, so if you have one, I'd recommend sticking with it since it doesn't make any noises and continues recording automatically, as you said.
Yes, I know, but I wanted to use multiple cameras to capture different angles.
01-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Banned

If your videos are that important to you, why not get a camera designed for the purpose of shooting video, rather than trying to get what is primarily a still camera to fill that role!

01-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
If your videos are that important to you, why not get a camera designed for the purpose of shooting video, rather than trying to get what is primarily a still camera to fill that role!
Pentax sells this camera with video capabilities.
If they didn't want them to be used for videos, they shouldn't put video features in them at all.

I think it's reasonable to expect to be able to use the feature, even if video is not the primary application.
I am not expecting advanced features here, I don't need fancy video autofocus or anything. I don't need high quality audio as I'm recording it separately anyway.

I just want to be able to set the camera on a tripod and press play; and not have a loud mirror slap when it runs into the max clip length; distracting the performer and also getting recorded into every other camera and digital audio.

Every camcorder on earth can do it. Every point & shoot video camera can do it. Heck, every cell phone video camera can do it too ...

I paid the full $850 introductory price for the K-30 when it was released, and the fact that it can't do this simple thing is mind bogglingly aggravating .
01-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Madbrain, I hear you as far as if they didn't want me to use the video, why'd they put it in.

If video is a big part of what you do, I'd recommend in the future that you move to Panasonic. The G6, GH3 and GH2 will run circles around any dslr for output and ease of use. The G6's were going for a song not long ago.
01-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Madbrain, I hear you as far as if they didn't want me to use the video, why'd they put it in.

If video is a big part of what you do, I'd recommend in the future that you move to Panasonic. The G6, GH3 and GH2 will run circles around any dslr for output and ease of use. The G6's were going for a song not long ago.
I'm afraid yet another camera is not in the budget at this point.

My primary camera is an old but trusty Canon HG21 camcorder. The video is excellent, and it records continuously uninterrupted - though it splits files at the 2GB mark.
My secondary camera is the Canon T3i DSLR. It restarts automatically with magic lantern, though there is a slight break of 1-2s at restart, which means it can't be used as a standalone camera. The picture is not the best in terms of noise.
The K-30 is my third camera. After making adjustments for white balance, I actually like its video picture from the K-30 the best of the 3. It's really a shame I can't use it.

I don't really need to record with 3 angles at once. Usually it's just one, and in that case it's always the camcorder. When I want 2, I have to use both Canons.

When I play music, I usually record for a couple of hours and play over and over until I get a good take. The two Canons can record continuously without any noise.
But the Pentax K-30 will stop loudly, and won't restart until I use the remote to restart it.
01-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Pentax sells this camera with video capabilities.
If they didn't want them to be used for videos, they shouldn't put video features in them at all.

I think it's reasonable to expect to be able to use the feature, even if video is not the primary application.
I am not expecting advanced features here, I don't need fancy video autofocus or anything. I don't need high quality audio as I'm recording it separately anyway.

I just want to be able to set the camera on a tripod and press play; and not have a loud mirror slap when it runs into the max clip length; distracting the performer and also getting recorded into every other camera and digital audio.

Every camcorder on earth can do it. Every point & shoot video camera can do it. Heck, every cell phone video camera can do it too ...

I paid the full $850 introductory price for the K-30 when it was released, and the fact that it can't do this simple thing is mind bogglingly aggravating .

It's not meant to be a video camera, it's only added for convenience. If video was meant to be a strong point for this camera, I think they would've maybe added an articulating screen, or at least the ability to add a mic.

If you knew you'd use this for videos, perhaps you should have checked it out before buying it, you're blaming Pentax for your own researching shortcomings.

01-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't hold your breath for a firmware fix on this even though it could probably be fixed via firmware. A workaround/hack might be getting a block of foam that covers as much of the camera as possible and will dampen the shutter sound. To workaround the problem of limited length videos you could follow these instructions https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/131633-absurdly-...p3-player.html and make an MP3 file that fires off a stop recording signal, pauses for a beat until the camera is ready to begin again, then fire a start recording signal. You could even embed the trigger into the block of foam right in front of the IR receiver.

Good luck
01-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
It's not meant to be a video camera, it's only added for convenience. If video was meant to be a strong point for this camera, I think they would've maybe added an articulating screen, or at least the ability to add a mic.
Those features would be nice, but the lack of them is not what I am complaining about.

QuoteQuote:
If you knew you'd use this for videos, perhaps you should have checked it out before buying it, you're blaming Pentax for your own researching shortcomings.
OK, now you have done it.
I bought the camera on pre-order, all the specs look good. There was not a single pre-review that mentioned this problem. I don't think any professional review has mentioned it since, either. And there are still no local retailers that have the K-30 on display, so there is no way I could have possibly found out about the problem before buying the camera.

It's a bug, plain and simple. Blaming the customer for buying the product isn't a good answer.
01-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I wouldn't hold your breath for a firmware fix on this even though it could probably be fixed via firmware. A workaround/hack might be getting a block of foam that covers as much of the camera as possible and will dampen the shutter sound.
The shutter is quite loud on the K-30 . Has anyone made such a hack successfully to the point where the shutter could not be heard ?

QuoteQuote:
To workaround the problem of limited length videos you could follow these instructions https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/131633-absurdly-...p3-player.html and make an MP3 file that fires off a stop recording signal, pauses for a beat until the camera is ready to begin again, then fire a start recording signal. You could even embed the trigger into the block of foam right in front of the IR receiver.
Good luck
Thanks. I'm not overly concerned with the limitation of the K-30 video clip length, since I only want to use the K-30 as a secondary camera. If the K-30 stops momentarily before I get a chance to restart it manually (with the IR remote), I know I will still always have footage from the primary camera, which runs uninterrupted.

What I'm really concerned with is that when the K-30 stops recording video, there is the loud shutter noise, which gets heard by me, gets recorded into the primary camera, and gets recorded into the separate audio recorder. This problem prevents me from having the K-30 turned on at all, even as a secondary camera.
01-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm I looked at your blog and was hoping that maybe there is a way to deal with it by shielding your mic, but I don't think there is. Beautiful music btw.

The only other thoughts I have are to try throwing it in that glass cabinet if that is a desirable angle, you could get your face... Or maybe to move the camera as far away as possible. I think totally silenced will be a challenge but I bet you could minimize the sound that gets picked up a bit.

Look on the bright side, it's not a bug, it's a feature! The K30 shutter serves as a clapboard that can help you sync your videos and recordings LOL.
01-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Yeah, I was thinking the clapboard thing, as well - not that bad of an idea, really.

If you really like the Pentax video look, I have a solution for you that will allow you to walk away with cash in your pocket. The K-01 is an infinitely superior video camera (although the actual video quality will be the same). This is so because you have a battery that lasts twice as long shooting video, has stereo mics, stereo input, and most importantly no live view cycling with its much-quieter and smoother shutter. Sell the K-30 and buy a K-01 and put at least $100 in your pocket. You'll have a better video camera with a very a slow RAW shooting capability (1 fps) - its a good trade off for you. The K-01 has a better feel to it, and is very nice if you add a VF loupe (the GGS Perfect 3x is optical grade and cheap).
01-16-2014, 06:12 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Those features would be nice, but the lack of them is not what I am complaining about.

OK, now you have done it.
I bought the camera on pre-order, all the specs look good. There was not a single pre-review that mentioned this problem. I don't think any professional review has mentioned it since, either. And there are still no local retailers that have the K-30 on display, so there is no way I could have possibly found out about the problem before buying the camera.

It's a bug, plain and simple. Blaming the customer for buying the product isn't a good answer.

I'm not blaming you for buying it, per se. I'm blaming you for not returning it, then complaining about it after you found it didn't serve your needs! I buy a lot from on line retailers, and if something turns out to be less than what I thought it would be, or doesn't work out how I had hoped, I simply return it, not go on line to complain about it! Nothing is forcing you to use this camera except your own stubbornness to accept the fact you made an error by buying and keeping a camera that doesn't meet your needs or expectations!

The fact that this "problem" is never mentioned in any reviews tells me that it really isn't much of a problem or shortcoming to begin with. Why don't you just sell the K30, get another Canon, and quityerbitchin' !
01-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Hmm I looked at your blog and was hoping that maybe there is a way to deal with it by shielding your mic, but I don't think there is. Beautiful music btw.

Thank you .. I didn't post my latest videos on the blog, but they are all on my Youtube channel :
Julien Pierre - YouTube

The last few are all on harpsichord which I acquired just before Thanksgiving.

QuoteQuote:
The only other thoughts I have are to try throwing it in that glass cabinet if that is a desirable angle, you could get your face... Or maybe to move the camera as far away as
possible. I think totally silenced will be a challenge but I bet you could minimize the sound that gets picked up a bit.
Moving the camera away is possible, but zooming in detracts in the picture quality of course.

QuoteQuote:
Look on the bright side, it's not a bug, it's a feature! The K30 shutter serves as a clapboard that can help you sync your videos and recordings LOL.
Well as it turns out, I'm using the latest version of PowerDirector 12 which does automatic synchronizing of my videos based on audio analysis of video clips, as well as the separate audio I record to WAV files.

Though once again, there is a slight issue with the K-30 too due to the odd 32 kHz sampling rate, but that one is a Cyberlink bug, not Pentax :
Multicam audio analysis fails if sampling rate does not match between video or audio clips
This bug requires an intermediate rerender to be needed for the K-30 clips before the automatic synchronization works.
But since my own videos have all been short up to this point, that re-render is still faster than synchronizing manually by aligning waveforms, which I was doing previously until I got PD12.
Closed Thread