Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Sigma's P-TTL works well enough for me but there's a marked difference between direct flash and bounce. I only ever use bounce flash so -1.5EV compensation is permanently dialed in on the flash and exposures are spot on every time. HSS allows fast shutter speeds on my K-30 but I've yet to get anything auto happening with exposures, I play around with the aperture until it's right LOL. Possibly a later EF-610 than mine (Dec 2012 direct from Sigma Service) may have better firmware to fix this, dunno. If I were buying again I would go for a Metz USB updatable model but I got the Sigma a lot cheaper than a Metz as a trade in for an older Sigma so I'm happy enough with the EF-610 DG Super.

01-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Ok I see what you mean. However that option should turn off the focus assist light on the flash as well. There was never such an option on the flash itself.
You're probably not correct here. There was (and maybe is for somebody) such an option on the flash itself!
Look at the first image on Page 126, 7.7 of the flashlight's manual (http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pdffiles/mecablitz_58_AF_2_digital_Pentax_D_F_NL_GB_I_E.pdf). There is an option of selecting "AF-BEAM". One can switch on or off the AF-beam of the Metz 58 AF-2 and this setting doesn't effect other flash modes. It can still work in P-TTL or any other mode.
01-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
You're probably not correct here. There was (and maybe is for somebody) such an option on the flash itself!
Look at the first image on Page 126, 7.7 of the flashlight's manual (http://www.metzflash.co.uk/pdffiles/mecablitz_58_AF_2_digital_Pentax_D_F_NL_GB_I_E.pdf). There is an option of selecting "AF-BEAM". One can switch on or off the AF-beam of the Metz 58 AF-2 and this setting doesn't effect other flash modes. It can still work in P-TTL or any other mode.
That is indeed odd. I wonder if its ever actually existed on the flash or just a mistake of some sort in the manual, maybe the function is available on the version fro some other brand camera. It is not mentioned anywhere else in the manual except at the very end where there is the summary of the menu structure. My guess is that when they made the different versions of the manual they may have missed out on this difference, since it is just a picture of the menu. There is no explanation of this setting anywhere in the manual, whereas each and every other setting is explained.

Did you actually ever have this option on your Metz? If it has been 'disappeared' its not the K-3 that did it because it is still missing when I mount it on the K-30, K-r or Q10. Perhaps it was some firmware update (Metz) that zapped it.
01-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #19

I think I am sure that I saw this function in the Metz's menu when I had the K-5 IIs. I guess I can recall how I switched the AF beam off and it didn't fire up when the Metz was on the camera.
Now, with the K-3, I frequently see the red light from the flashlight and it is very annoying (K-3 is able to focus in dim light itself without the help of the flashlight).