Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Silkypix 3.0 ( for K-30 ) and Windows 8.1

Anyone else succeed with installing the Silkypix 3.0 that comes with the K-30 on a Windows 8.1 system?

I had been using it on my old XP machine, but it doesn't want to install on my new Windows 8.1 machine.

Tried calling the Ricoh toll free support number and was told I might have to BUY a new disk for $25.

Here's the error I get:

Error Code: -5009 : 0x8002802b
Error Information:
>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (163)
>Ctor\ObjectWrapper.cpp (402)
>Kernel\Component.cpp (1163)
>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (389)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1541)
PAPP:SILKYPIX3PENStart
PVENDOR:Ichikawa Soft Laboratory (http://www.silkypix.com/)
PGUID:95358728-DBE3-48A1-9B23-64E450A3C83A
$11.50.0.42618PAK
@Windows (9200) BT_OTHER 1136.1138

01-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried installing it in legacy mode or whatever it is called? Compatibility mode maybe?

If I had to pay $25 I would take that $25 and add another $75 and buy Lightroom, but that's just me.
01-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Have you tried installing it in legacy mode or whatever it is called? Compatibility mode maybe?

If I had to pay $25 I would take that $25 and add another $75 and buy Lightroom, but that's just me.
Thanks for the suggestion on the compatibility mode. I just tried it and it doesn't seem to work, at least not how I tried it ( invoking it on the exe file that's on the installation disk ).

RE: Lightroom, I have a strong dislike for that program. Unlike some who have tried it, I actually like Silkypix - it's a much better match to my preferred workflow.
That said, I don't think I'd pay for an old version that's been crippled so it only converts images from the K-30.

I wonder if the fact that I had it installed on my old machine is preventing the installation on my new machine - is it possible they track that kind of thing?

I have PSE 9, and it will likely work much faster on this machine than it did on my old one, so I'll probably use that while I look for a new Raw converter.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers
01-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Open the CD in Windows Explorer.
Right-click the setup file >> Run as Administrator

Installation requires elevated privileges.

(Doesn't matter if you are logged in with an admin account, this is still necessary for some applications)

01-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
RE: Lightroom, I have a strong dislike for that program.
Seems to be a like it or hate it kinda program. It just seemed to fit my workflow, and I love it. Could not work without it. But others don't seem to 'click' with it. I've found that people with lots of Photoshop experience seem to not get how LR works because the workflow is so different. Too bad, but there are lots of other RAW converters available. And if you are not interested in the archive/library functions of LR the others may be less work.

I did fine this post: Making Silkypix/RFC Run Under Windows 8: Fujifilm FinePix Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review which seems to echo the comment above.
01-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Open the CD in Windows Explorer.
Right-click the setup file >> Run as Administrator

Installation requires elevated privileges.

(Doesn't matter if you are logged in with an admin account, this is still necessary for some applications)
Tried this, the results are no different. If I have the compatibility mode set to Windows XP ( SP3 ), it gets as far as asking me my language preference, and then it sort of hangs on the screen that says it's starting the install. I have to kill the setup task using the task manager.

If I have compatibility mode set to either Windows 7 or 8, it gets most of the way through the install before popping up that same error I quoted in the original post.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.
01-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Seems to be a like it or hate it kinda program. It just seemed to fit my workflow, and I love it. Could not work without it. But others don't seem to 'click' with it. I've found that people with lots of Photoshop experience seem to not get how LR works because the workflow is so different. Too bad, but there are lots of other RAW converters available. And if you are not interested in the archive/library functions of LR the others may be less work.
Yeah, it's mostly the archive/library stuff that bugs me, and the fact that it has to import everything in a folder any time you invoke it. I like FastStone as a browser/viewer. It's my default program for 90% of what I do. When I want to edit/convert a file using another program, I want the editor/converter to come up with only that file loaded. I don't want to have to wait while it sucks in all the images in the folder. Admittedly, this was more of a problem with my old machine than it's likely to be with the new one, but from a design philosophy point of view, I dislike this approach even if it isn't crippling my machine. There's a few other things I didn't like about Lightroom, but it's been a few years so I don't remember them.

But that's off topic.

01-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Yeah, it's mostly the archive/library stuff that bugs me, and the fact that it has to import everything in a folder any time you invoke it.
That seems to be the issue with many people. LR is an archive/library with editing stuff tacked on. PS Elements is an editor with some archive/library functions tacked on. For me, finding the image I need out of 50k or so is far more important than anything else so LR works for me. For casual, one at a time editing it's a pain.

Did you get SilkyPix to install?
01-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nope.

I use PSE strictly as a converter/editor. I've never even looked at the library functions ( turned off of it by Lightroom ).

Currently playing with Rawtherapee. It was the first Raw converter I ever used, but that was a long time ago. They've changed a few things since then, and I've forgotten more.
Lots of options and controls - maybe too many.
01-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Earlier today I had sent an email query to Silkypix support. I didn't really expect a response. I suppose it would have been in the middle of the night for them ( over in Japan ), but I just got a response back, indicating
that it was a problem with an old version of install shield. They directed me to rename a particular file. For the sake of anyone else who has this problem, I'm reproducing the instructions here:

1. Open the following "RunTime" folder by " Computer"
of the Windows.

- 32bit
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime

- 64bit
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime

2. Right-click the "IsProBE.tlb" file in this "RunTime" folder.
Choose "Rename" from the displayed context menu.

3. Change the file name of the "IsProBE.tlb" file to "IsProBE_old.tlb".

4. Close all displayed windows.

5. Install the latest version of "SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 for PENTAX."

They didn't say anything about running it in compatibility mode, but to be safe
I set things up for Windows 7 compatibility, and then ran the setup as administrator and poof - it worked. That's pretty darned good turn around for getting a solution from the SW manufacturer in Japan, even if the problem was a simple one. Especially considering the software is a freebie that's given away with the camera.

I also noticed that on this machine, PSE 9 disables the ESC key ( when it's running ). This is quite annoying because that key is important to the usability of FastStone. Adobe forums indicates this was reported years ago ( with Vista ) and nothing has been done about it. Now I have to remember to use shift ESC. Swell. Maybe I should try contacting Adobe support and compare their responsiveness.
01-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got a response from Ricoh support. So both Silkypix and Ricoh responded to my emails within 24 hrs. I'm impressed.

Unfortunately, the Ricoh response was less helpful than the one I got from Silkypix. Either Ricoh didn't understand my problem,
or they just have a canned response they send to everyone who has a problem with the bundled software. Based on the generic,
scatter-gun nature of their response, I would guess it was the latter.

First off, they gave a bunch of tips on getting the photos off the camera, which has nothing to do with the problem described in my query.

After covering off all options ( connecting camera to computer via cable, using card reader slot on computer, buying a card reader ),
they then provided the following advice regarding image processing software:
RICOH Japan has not provided compatibility test data or program updates for Developer Studio 3.0 and the Windows 8 operating system.
If you're shooting jpeg format you can use any of a number of available editing software including the free Picasa program from www.google.com.
For RAW format you may consider shooting in the Adobe DNG standard and using one of the Adobe editing programs ( ie. Photoshop. Lightroom or Elements)

So if somebody is having problems with the Silkypix software provided with a Pentax camera, my advice would be to contact Silkypix support rather
than Ricoh. I'm not sure if the same holds for the various versions of PDCU. Though it is based on their engine, Silkypix may not feel they have
the same obligation to help you out with it. It can't hurt to try I guess.

For what it's worth, PDCU 3 installed just fine on my Windows 8.1 machine.

Cheers, R
01-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I did fine this post: Making Silkypix/RFC Run Under Windows 8: Fujifilm FinePix Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review which seems to echo the comment above.
I think i would like Silkypix if i understood it. Terminologies used in it seem unusual. For a free App its great, though Lightroom seems easier to understand for me anyway.

I used to like Picasa as a simple RAW converter because it was free and VERY EASY to use,, then i found out that it edits the EXIF and gives itself ownership of the image, yeah thats right it takes credit and copyrite. so i was done with that program once i saw that.

Last edited by OldNoob; 01-19-2014 at 10:38 PM.
01-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
I think i would like Silkypix if i understood it. Terminologies used in it seem unusual. For a free App its great, though Lightroom seems easier to understand for me anyway.
Yes, the terminology is translated from Japanese, and they came up with different terms from what we are accustomed to. A good example is they use "trim" instead of "crop". Also, their approach to performing
certain operations is a bit different - whether or not you prefer their approach over Adobe's is a matter of taste, and perhaps what kind of photos you take and what kind of operations you tend to do. The only
Adobe convention that I find myself "missing" when using other tools is the way crop and rotate can be performed in one operation.

I used a trial version of Silkypix Developer Studio 4.0 for a while, and got over the hump viz terminology/approach. I really liked the way it was set up, and the workflow I arrived at where I could use FastStone
to browse/cull my images, and then invoke Silkypix to convert a selected image, perform my adjustments, drop the RAW images onto the processing cue, return to FastStone, etc. Very smooth on my old, slow XP machine.
I hated the way Lightroom had to catalogue every folder I opened, and would bog the machine down every time I sent something to be processed. ( yeah, the smug response is always "get a real computer" )

Another nice bonus of the Silkypix approach is that it puts the Sidecar files in a convenient subtending folder. I could never get any Adobe product to do that for me, despite trying various things.

The Silkypix 3.0 that comes with the K-30 isn't quite as nice as version 4.0, and it won't convert files from other cameras ( in my case, my k200D ). I've also found it quite tricky to get it to generate output that's as good
as the JPGs that come straight from the camera. If it wasn't crippled WRT what files it will convert, I'd consider using it more, but I don't really feel like switching between raw converters depending on which camera the
RAW file was shot with. I've wondered if editing the EXIF data might allow me to trick it into converting the K200 files, but it hardly seems worth the bother.

Now that I've upgraded to a faster computer, PSE isn't as much of a pig to run, so I'm currently using it as my RAW converter - invoking it from FastStone. Not as smooth as I'd like, but workable.

If you've got Lightroom, and you're happy using it, then I'm not sure there's much point in moving to Silkypix 3.0. Back when I was using Silkypix 4.0, I was trying to decide between it and Lightroom 3.0 beta. I found
I preferred Silkypix, but it was too expensive.