Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-50 may come bundled as a two-lens kit with DAL WR versions of the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms. The lenses have a grey band as opposed to the green band on the non-L versions. I know because I just helped a friend purchase this kit.

Steve
Do you mean the NEW DA L WR lenses.... That is possible, I didn't think of that gesigklap

01-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sriks Quote
so its important to get a better body and bad lens :P
Get the body that supports the features you need and as good a lenses as you can afford. The 18-55 kit lens is not a bad lens. It is always in my bag if not on the camera and it is a very decent tool. The comments regarding the 50-200 vs. the 55-300 are well-taken, though again neither is a "bad" lens.

In regards to the DAL WR lenses. They do exist (saw them both today when my friend unboxed her K-50). The main concerns compared to the DA WR versions are:
  • No quick shift
  • The hoods (good thing to have) are not included and will cost $25-$30 USD each should you opt to purchase separately
  • Plastic mount
Regardless of body, I would seriously consider a kit based on the DA 18-55 WR and the 55-300 as suggested above. That is, of course, unless you find a killer deal on the DAL WR two lens kit you are looking at.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-17-2014 at 08:44 AM.
01-17-2014, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

the diff between the k50 and k5ii/k5iis/k5 is a few more advanced functions and a little performance here and there that as a first time DSLR owner you probably wouldn't even know existed.

the k50 is designed to be more point & shoot user friendly, with similar scene modes and more in-camera processing.
the k5 was pentax's prosumer level camera and as such, has more adjustable feature sets and I think about a screen or 2 more custom settings.

I have the k5iis, my gf has the k30 which is now the k50. unless I am using the k30, you couldn't tell a difference between the 2.

I would recommend the k50 as a starter camera, and the K5iis is a very specific camera requiring a lot more understanding of technique and post processing because you CAN get into trouble with it. the AF system of the K5ii and K50 is for all practical purposes, the same. the only AF system that is different is in the K3.

lastly, in terms of lenses, you will go through probably 3 to 4 different ENTIRE KITS over the next 5-8 years as you evolve as a photographer and find your personal niche. You can spend a ton of money on pro glass right now if you want, but it won't make your photos any better. Additionally, you may find that half the lenses you bought don't fit your style.

not knowing your background, i'm making some assumptions about your skillset and photo knowledge, however I can say that when I went from an all manual K1000 and film in 2005 to a DSLR, I was surprised at the huge learning curve and I had been shooting an interchangeable lens SLR for around 30 years by then.

forget MTF charts and DxO reviews for now, you have a TON to learn about depth of field, composition, priority modes and more ahead. Use some of that money you'd save by going with a starter kit and get lessons. Advanced learning will make you a better photographer with an 18-135 or similar mid grade lens, than if you bought a DA* lens and went out shooting with no guidance.

here's my response to a similar thread a few months ago, "there is a fallacy out there that buying a great lens will make you a better photographer. You get better by taking pictures and having reputable people critique them in a constructive manner. You take classes, go on field seminars. Having the best lens in the world won't make you a better photographer if you don't know what your doing."

my personal starter kit in 2005 was a sigma 10-20, sigma 17-70 and pentax 50-200 because the 55-300 wasn't in existence back then

sub the 55-300 for the 50-200 and you have a great kit that has above average IQ but won't set you back an arm, a leg and a kidney. or start with the 17-70 and then after a few weeks you can decide if you need wider sometimes or longer sometimes and get a second lens form there.
01-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Do you mean the NEW DA L WR lenses.... That is possible, I didn't think of that :gesigklap:
Yep! Those would be the lenses. The K-30 sold as a two lens kit with the non-L WR versions. The K-50 sells bundled with the new DAL WR and is sometimes also bundled with a bag and memory card.

Steve

01-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
the k5 was pentax's prosumer level camera and as such, has more adjustable feature sets and I think about a screen or 2 more custom settings.
and magnesium metal body and top as well as rear LCD.

Your points are very well-taken though. Unless you are needing the additional features on the K-5, you will likely never miss them on the K-50.

Steve
01-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
If it is a DA L lens, it's not WR....so it's either a DA L or DA....WR lens? I can only say that I would stay away from the 18-55 lenses, WR or not. I had a good DA L 200, but haven't tried the WR version, for general purposes I would pick the 18-135WR, as I should've done when I bought my K-30, which is about the same as the K-50.

The k50 DAL lenses are WR - that is a change from the k30.

Personally, I'd go with the k50 and 18-135. Great WR, silent and fast focusing, and a good range. If however, your kids are involved in outdoor sports (football or other sports with relatively large fields) then I'd get the k50 and 2 wr DAL lenses so you can have the extra reach at the expense of having to change lenses more often.

Regarding the quality of the 18-55... it's a good lens capable of good images. It's best to stop this lens down a couple stops though so if the max aperture is 3.5 at 18mm, you should try shooting at f5.6 to get more sharpness.

If you do a lot of indoor, low light shooting, the k5ii and s version are capable of focusing better in low low light as the have a more sensitive AF sensor (-3ev vs 0ev).

Having a WR kit is good to have, especially in rainy climates. Just don't get carried away and think you can take this in the shower with you or run it under a faucet - Pentax makes great WR kits that I've been in the rain for hours at a time with (dabbing off drops from time to time with a towel), however there are limits. And that Nikon kit? That lens is not WR and that sensor is prone to banding when lifting shadows. Other than that, it's a great camera with probably superior tracking auto focus. But it does not have in body shake reduction either, so there are pros and cons...

Good luck with your decision!
01-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
and magnesium metal body and top as well as rear LCD.

Your points are very well-taken though. Unless you are needing the additional features on the K-5, you will likely never miss them on the K-50.

Steve
I forgot about the top LCD. I could never live without that!
Granted I started with the K10 and it had the top LCD, so I learned to rely on it very early in life...lol
01-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For a first DSLR, the K-50 is MUCH better. You will learn a lot from the scene modes. The k-5 doesn't have them because it's a "pro" camera, and they expect you to know how to create the look you want. You will learn how to set up your camera for night shooting, sunsets, action, etc if you pay attention to the scene mode and use it as a learning tool. They are limited if you really know what you are doing, but invaluable if you are a novice.

The 18-135 is also a wonderful companion.

The K50 matches the K-5 in every meaningful way except the low light focusing. Low light image quality is essentially the exact same.

01-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
The k50 DAL lenses are WR - that is a change from the k30.
gesigklapgesigklapgesigklap
01-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #25

Original Poster
wow . thanks for the replies guys.. i am thinking more and more with every reply

from what I can understand.. K50 and K5ii are essentially the same ..
with K5ii having slightly better focussing , an extra lcd display on top, a better battery..
but the k50 has focus peaking, its cheaper, its kind of newbie friendly...

I might go for the k50 with 18-55 and 55-200 since it gives me more range.. and i might buy more prime lenses as I go on.. and probably migrate to the k5 iii or a k3 successor as time comes
01-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #26

Original Poster
I have also read about the loud shutter sound for the k50.. how loud is compared to other dslr.. or is it just loud compared to silent shutter in the k5 ?
01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's just that k5 is extra silent, otherwise, comparable to others. screw drive focus threw me off initially.
01-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #28

Original Poster
I have decided to take the k50 Just need to decide between the 18-55 + 55-200 and the 18-135 kit..

Thanks again for the help guys, helped me clear up things
01-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #29

Now once you get your camera, be sure to share some of your shots with it here!