Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 03:08 AM   #1

pentax k30 achiever 630 AF

Hello all I was wondering whether the Achiever 630 AF flash( from my sfxn) is compatible with the K30. I f so what settings do you need to change/use for it. The reason that I am asking is that I have tried it out on the fully auto setting and got a very over exposed picture. The settings that I used on the flash were iso 400 50mm lens and a setting of 50 on the extendable top part. the cameras zoom I set at around 50mm as well. I must be doing somthing wrong? any help/advice would be appreciated.

Shaun.

01-18-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
That is an old TTL flash, Pentax dropped the old TTL system after the *istD series of cameras and all of the ones after that only support P-TTL.

Without a manual it is hard to tell what the non-TTL capabilities of the flash are, but I'm not seeing any real settings besides the zoom level. That ISO slider appears to just be a calculator for manual mode, but without actual power settings it will always fire at full power without TTL.

It is possible to get a proper exposure by matching your aperture and ISO to the distance of your subject. The flash has a GN of 30m, which means at an aperture of f1 and ISO 100 you'll have proper exposure on a subject 30m away. With the ISO slider at 100 you'll see what apertures correlate to what distances, I believe the zoom switch will also have an effect on the calculator since at wider zoom levels the GN decreases and it will offset the calculator to correct for this.

Overall it is not a very useful flash for most purposes.

Last edited by elliott; 01-18-2014 at 05:16 AM.
01-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

might want to research the trigger voltages on that flash. Using Older flash units may cause damage to the camera if the trigger voltages are not compatible.
01-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
might want to research the trigger voltages on that flash. Using Older flash units may cause damage to the camera if the trigger voltages are not compatible.
I doubt that that will be the case for TTL flashes. And this one even has AF assist.

01-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thankyou

Thankyou for your replies certainly food for thought looks like that flash will be relegated to my sfxn and Il have to splash out and buy one that is compatable with the K30

Cheers Shaun