Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #1

M42 lenses and adpaters

Im wondering what M42 adapter and 14mm to 50mm focal length prime lenses are recommended.

01-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The best bet with the adapter is the genuine Pentax one.
Still available new as far as I know.

Some of the 3rd party ones have had issues with getting stuck, or bad machining.
01-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
The best bet with the adapter is the genuine Pentax one.
Still available new as far as I know.

Some of the 3rd party ones have had issues with getting stuck, or bad machining.
or no focus at infinity
01-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I own an adapter by Kipon. It allows focus to infinity, a removing tool is included and it also features an inner rim so that the aperture pin on the M42 lenses will be depressed. This means no fiddling around with the lenses is needed and an automatic stop down will follow a soon as you move the aperture ring (some adapters (as the genuine Pentax one iirc) don't have this feature so you have to modify your lens instead, which might be easy to do, but why hassle with it?). The only downside is that the lenses don't align perfectly when you screw them into the camera body. At least they wont be upside down (as with some other cheap adapters, as I heard. I don't know how the Pentax adapter holds up with this), so you will still be able to read the aperture and distance scale.
The price of the Kipon is also a fraction of the original Pentax adapter (15 € vs 80 € in Germany, both available on amazon).

As to your second question, any M42 lens is recommended. The more M42 lenses you own, the lower the necessity to fumble around with that adapter. Just leave it in the body and enjoy the glory.
We don't know what kind of lenses you like and what is important to you and 14 to 50 mm is a pretty wide range with different things to look out for. Stay away from the zooms seems to be a general rule.
Pentax lenses usually are good optical and build quality, but can also cost a lot more compared to the many underdogs in the M42 game. The wider the focal length the more expensive they'll get. Maybe you should start out with a 35 or 50 (55?) mm lens to not spend too much and see if you really like the handling of the old lenses. The decision for the next lens that you need will come shortly after that.
A classic to try out would be the good old russian Helios 55mm f2 lens in one of its variants (44-2 and 44M-4 seem to be popular). People love it for the relative sharpness on a crop body and the swirly out of focus areas. It is relatively sharp, fast and unique (neglecting the fact that more and more people are shooting with it, so much for the uniqueness) and doesn't cost a fortune.

01-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you go for a 3rd party adapter:
1. If it has a spring, remove it - it will only cause you problems (as in making it impossible to remove it from the camera).
2. Test it on an old camera first if you have one, in order to see if you can remove it easily (I had to dismantle the camera mount to get it off because I hadn't removed the spring).
3. Test it on the lens without fitting it on the camera to see that you can remove it easily. Some lenses (e.g. some Takumars) have a pin that will lock the adapter so you can't get it off.

As for lenses, have a look at the Lens Reviews.
01-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I purchased several aftermarket M42 adapters and removed the springs, I keep them mounted to the lenses as they were only about $7 US. I had to file off the chrome coating on 2 of the 4 adapters to achieve infinity focus, thick coating?? The only problem is the lens adapter combo will not lock to the camera as the body pin has no hole in the lens so be careful if you do this. Sorry I only had long M42's but my 135 f3.5 was great. I switched to SMC-M and A lenses and sold my M42's with the adapters attached. The SMC-A's do make life easier
01-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Purevulcan Quote
and 14mm to 50mm focal length prime lenses are recommended
For just starting, I think a super-takumar or SMC takumar 55mm 1.8 is a good choice. They are dirt cheap and of excellent quality. Owning one of these is a reminder that sometimes there is just no correlation between value and price.
01-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #8

Where can I get genuine Pentax M42 to K adapter?

01-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my first, I purchased direct from Pentax.com.au ( part number SKU: 30120) :
https://www.pentax.com.au/product/mount-adapter-k
they might post it to you.
The second , from eBay AU, much cheaper.
Or just contact your local Pentax shop/supplier
01-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a genuine Pentax M42 lens adapter and I have never had a lens end up upside down on it.