Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

Best wide angle lenses

Whats the best wide angle lens for the K mount that are around 100 dollars?

01-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
100 dollars! That is a very low budget for a lens. Even for a used one. Especially wide angle. You see, sometimes you can get cheap legacy lenses, like from the 1980s. But back then, "wide angle" was 35mm, down to 24mm, which isn't all that wide on crop cameras. Anything wider than that, from the old days, won't be very good and will still cost. New wide angle lenses are pretty good, but will not be cheap.
Pentax 12-24mm is a great lens, but probably too expensive. Tamron 10-24mm on a budget. Or the Sigma 10-20mm. Zenitar 16mm. Or a Samyang, the 14mm f2.8 or the 16mm f2.0. Used, of course. You can't really get a new lens for under $180. The Pentax DA 35mm f2.4 can be found for under $200, and its a great lens (recommend it as a first prime), but on Pentax DSLRs, its not very "wide angle". Maybe one of the older 28mm lenses, a Vivitar or something. How wide are you thinking about, anyway?
01-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
100 dollars! That is a very low budget for a lens. Even for a used one. Especially wide angle. You see, sometimes you can get cheap legacy lenses, like from the 1980s. But back then, "wide angle" was 35mm, down to 24mm, which isn't all that wide on crop cameras. Anything wider than that, from the old days, won't be very good and will still cost. New wide angle lenses are pretty good, but will not be cheap.
Pentax 12-24mm is a great lens, but probably too expensive. Tamron 10-24mm on a budget. Or the Sigma 10-20mm. Zenitar 16mm. Or a Samyang, the 14mm f2.8 or the 16mm f2.0. Used, of course. You can't really get a new lens for under $180. The Pentax DA 35mm f2.4 can be found for under $200, and its a great lens (recommend it as a first prime), but on Pentax DSLRs, its not very "wide angle". Maybe one of the older 28mm lenses, a Vivitar or something. How wide are you thinking about, anyway?
You make a point I hadn't thought of, I was thinking there would be some nice legacy lenses that were pretty wide but I hadn't thought about what you said. And I was looking at wide lenses for astrophotography, the 18mm on the kit lens will have to do, I just wish it had a bigger aperture.
01-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a manual 28mm from flea bay for $20.

01-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Soligor/Vivitar T4 21mm f3.8 plus T4 M42 adapter is about $100.-$150. shipped. There happens to be one w/ Nikon adapter for $130. on ebay now, so you see it's price is OK. They come up pretty often. The T4 adapter is cheaper if you wait and get one on the lens.

Both at f/16, it compares favorably w/ my SMC Takumar 24mm f/3.5. Both at f/5.6, the center compares also favorably, not so the corners. It also is very low in distortion--actually lower than the Pentax 24mm and the Pentax is not bad! You will need to jam the T4 M42 adapter into manual because the M/A switch is spring loaded, unlike Takumars [all this is discussed in the website I gave below]. So it will likely work well for you in aperture priority (or M) and zone focused.

This was my first purchase (I had 28mm, 50mm, 200mm from my spotmatics) and it is my standard lens for theater--to document the set during the production (at f/5.6 and zone focused).

You will find more at following (and he has two other posts about the lens--and I agree w/ his observations), although I think the resolution on mine is better than his narrative suggests.

http://gabriel.mp3-tech.org/blog/index.php?entry=entry090320-154132

Last edited by dms; 01-21-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added website
01-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just saw you are looking for wider aperture. Well that is tough/not usually possible for $100. I recall Hinman liked a 20mm f2.8 lens--that was $200. Promaster (?), etc., I think. Do a search.

But for astrophotography, as I understand it, the question is: at what aperture is the comma acceptably low in the sides/corners? And that usually requires aspherical lens element(s), And then you are looking at more modern lenses, and likely about $300. and up.
01-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Few Choices?

Hello Purevulcan, welcome to the Forum!
As mentioned, inexpensive wide primes are few and far between. A couple decent lenses you could try for are the Sigma 'Super Wide' 24mm f/2.8, although $100 might be stretching things. Maybe $150 if you get lucky. Or the Miranda MC 24mm f/2.8 Macro, usually $100-$150.
Tokina, Vivitar and Kiron all had legacy 24mm primes in K-mount, if I remember correctly. You may find one for under $100.
These would all be manual focus and (likely) manual aperture, also. You might one with an 'A' connection, but expect to pay more.
Wider than 24mm will surely cost more, unless there's a great deal out there somewhere!
Ron
01-21-2014, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum!

I do have a couple of suggestions. To start off - my best advice is "any lens you currently have". No - I'm not trying to be condescending at all - let me explain. I took a look at your profile and see that you have a K30, and I'll assume that came with a 18-55 kit lens.
  • Wide Angle Lens - in general, start off by stitching (take several overlapping pictures - overlap by about 25%) and use Microsoft ICE (a free download). This is similar to taking several pictures and scotch taping them together. A wide angle lens takes a scene and pulls it in and packs it on to the sensor - as opposed to stitching that essentially adds pixels to the sensor (each additional image adds pixels to the resulting image). You can use any lens and any focal length. Its also cheap to do. You really do not need a tripod (although one does help), you can hand hold the camera as you shoot a scene. I would also start off in JPG since you can drag JPG images directly into ICE and it will just work (you will not need to make any format conversions).
  • Astrophotography - Since you are asking about wide angle lenses, I am assuming that you mean wide field - essentially trying to catch the Milky Way. For this you are going to need a tripod. Without one, all is essentially lost as you need to hold the camera still - no motion. Again, on the topic of lenses - use what you have to start out. Will it be perfect? No, but its going to be a while figuring out what your doing and how to do things. You will get results, and they will be something. A low priced Pentax M 50mm f2 can be had for $20. Start from there. Then possibly look for a 28mm/f2.8 - an off brand K mount (JC Pennys or Sears - available off of Craigslist or here on the Marketplace) or even a Pentax M 28/f2.8. These will run from $20 to $40 to $80 depending on a lot of variables This will get you better image quality, more light, etc. Going wider than 28mm (other than with the Kit lens, is going to cost money). Here is a link that I think will address a lot of your questions.
Hope that helps....

01-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Purevulcan Quote
Whats the best wide angle lens for the K mount that are around 100 dollars?
The 18-55 kit lens.
01-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For the budget you could easily get one of the "wide angle" filter things.
Basically a lens that screws into where the filter normally would, no idea how good they are though.

For speed you could pair it with a cheap manual lens, the focal length would depend on how wide the add-on filter above is.

I use a Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 on my digital and I wouldn't necessarily say it's "wide"
01-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am planning to use my $200 Rokinon 8mm fisheye for the sky - at least when I want sky and not details therein That's probably the best bargain after the kit lens. Next on the list of lenses I've used would be the DA16-45 (around $200) and the Sigma 15mm fisheye (closer to $350).
01-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
The 18-55 kit lens.
Yeah, this. You can get a used 18-55 on KEH for under $50 and it's wider than any non-fisheye legacy ultra wide you're likely to find.
01-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Yeah, this. You can get a used 18-55 on KEH for under $50 and it's wider than any non-fisheye legacy ultra wide you're likely to find.
Yeah I already have the 18-55mm kit lens, I was just looking for a lens around that focal lenght thats faster than 3.5
01-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Purevulcan Quote
Yeah I already have the 18-55mm kit lens, I was just looking for a lens around that focal lenght thats faster than 3.5
Maybe a cheap old 28/2.8 and a wide angle adapter. Or a 50/1.7 if faster is more important than wider
01-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Like I said, maybe a Zenitar 16mm, so you can have a really long exposure. But it might make more sense to invest in a good tripod, as someone suggested, if you don't already have one. And a fast manual 50mm might also be good for astrophotography. f1.7 or even f1.4 can bring in lots of light in a shorter exposure. But I would advise against buying a lens specifically for astrophotography, unless you are planning on going pro with it or if you already live in a place with a good view (low light pollution, good weather). Its a type of photography you will very rarely find yourself doing, as it takes a lot of preparation and time.