Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
Ah, thanks for that. I will probably go with an extra OEM for now...had less than stellar results with the rechargeable AA's...not sure whether to attribute it to the cells I'm using (the 2300mAh Energizers) or the aftermarket clips...more than likely a little of both. Sometimes it works great, other times, I can take the AA's right out of the charger, put 'em in the clip and put 'em in the K-30 and turn it on, and get "BATTERY DEPLETED"...go figure.
I have the aftermarket clip. At least initially, the connections are super strong (over time care to keep the springs upward is a good idea). I don't know of anyone having a problem with the generic. The issue is that the circuit is designed for about 7.4 volts. Four NiMH AAs yield about 5 volts fully charged and can drop off under strain (but then recover). Heck, the circuit would be just right with six cells (7.2 volts). In any event, most if not all L-ion AAs are 2000mAh if they are hybrids (precharged). Anything above that rating tends not to hold charge as well, and will take fewer charges. Precharged Eneloops/Duracells rated at 2000 work best - but still a bit dodgy under stress (heavy shooting, use of flash - on board or external, etc.) even when new and recently charged.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 01-24-2014 at 02:44 PM.
01-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had to make sure the springs are "springy" on the AA holder, to be sure...and I didn't know the NiMH cells didn't even add up to the proper volts. I will look into the L-ion AAs eventually. THANKS...learned a few things today!
01-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beebs Quote
I have had to make sure the springs are "springy" on the AA holder, to be sure...and I didn't know the NiMH cells didn't even add up to the proper volts. I will look into the L-ion AAs eventually. THANKS...learned a few things today!
My mistake for calling them L-ions. They are lithium, and not rechargeable. Different chemistry entirely. Good one-time use product - last a long time - and best emergency back-up. Energizer, easily found at local stores.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 01-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.
02-18-2014, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #19

Just an update for me
I used the Washbi batteries in my K-50 the past 2 days. I did 400 pics the first day and the battery indicator was still green, but down one bar.

The 2nd day I did 717 pics with four 30 sec videos in there too. The battery indicator was yellow, but everything was fine.