Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Exposure Meter not showing up in viewfinder

This might sound stupid, but I'll take the chance.
I haven't been able to use the exposure meter on my Pentax K30. I can see it on my lcd display, but it won't move or do anything as I change my aperture or shutter speed. I can't see it at all on my viewfinder. I'm using all manual settings.
Am I missing something obvious?

01-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chibikitsune Quote
I haven't been able to use the exposure meter on my Pentax K30. I can see it on my lcd display, but it won't move or do anything as I change my aperture or shutter speed. I can't see it at all on my viewfinder. I'm using all manual settings.
Did you set the ISO to a fixed value?
01-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
A couple things come to mind. I am using a K-50 but I'm going to assume they are very similar if not the same.

The meter is set to run for a specific amount of time and then turn off to conserve battery. I can set mine in the menu to run for either 3, 10, or 30 sec at a time. If you haven't been continuously shooting try half depressing the shutter button and it will turn the meter back on and you can make your corrections.

As far as the viewfinder goes I have the electronic level activated so that shows up in place of the exposure meter. Try tilting the camera slightly left and right while looking through the viewfinder and see if it changes? You can also change those settings in the menu if you would rather have the meter.

Hope this helps.
01-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Did you set the ISO to a fixed value?
I did.

01-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by V.rider Quote
A couple things come to mind. I am using a K-50 but I'm going to assume they are very similar if not the same.

The meter is set to run for a specific amount of time and then turn off to conserve battery. I can set mine in the menu to run for either 3, 10, or 30 sec at a time. If you haven't been continuously shooting try half depressing the shutter button and it will turn the meter back on and you can make your corrections.

As far as the viewfinder goes I have the electronic level activated so that shows up in place of the exposure meter. Try tilting the camera slightly left and right while looking through the viewfinder and see if it changes? You can also change those settings in the menu if you would rather have the meter.

Hope this helps.
I set mine to run for 30 sec. And I don't have the electronic level activated.
01-25-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is a bit of a long shot, but try dismounting your lens and remount it, making sure it's fully rotated/seated. You could try cleaning the contacts on lens and body to make sure they make proper electrical contact. I just tried partially dismounting the lens on my K-30 and I think I saw similar behaviour.
01-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I set mine to run for 30 sec. And I don't have the electronic level activated.
If you turn on the electronic level, do you see the numeric exposure info (in + or - EV) on the bottom right where the ISO reading would be if the level was not turned on?

01-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If you turn on the electronic level, do you see the numeric exposure info (in + or - EV) on the bottom right where the ISO reading would be if the level was not turned on?
No. Only the lights along the bar reflecting orientation are lit.
01-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
dmc
Forum Member

Best send it in for repair. Sorry . . .
02-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #10

I believe the exposure bar scale is active only in Manual mode with a set ISO. If the ISO is set to a range while in Manual mode the bar remains unlight until you set an exact ISO value. When I use an ISO range in Manual mode I will press the Green button and then make adjustments based on the settings the Green button display. If I use the electronic level in Manual mode the K-30 will then display a +/- value to the right of the level allowing me to make exposure settings to my liking. I would recommend resetting all your options and see if works in Manual mode with a set ISO value before you send it for repair. Page 34 #'s 9, 10 and 11 of the User Manual describes EV bar scale.