Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 9
Exposure Meter not showing up in viewfinder

This might sound stupid, but I'll take the chance.
I haven't been able to use the exposure meter on my Pentax K30. I can see it on my lcd display, but it won't move or do anything as I change my aperture or shutter speed. I can't see it at all on my viewfinder. I'm using all manual settings.
Am I missing something obvious?

01-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by chibikitsune Quote
This might sound stupid, but I'll take the chance.
I haven't been able to use the exposure meter on my Pentax K30. I can see it on my lcd display, but it won't move or do anything as I change my aperture or shutter speed. I can't see it at all on my viewfinder. I'm using all manual settings.
Am I missing something obvious?
Did you set the ISO to a fixed value?
01-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 43
A couple things come to mind. I am using a K-50 but I'm going to assume they are very similar if not the same.

The meter is set to run for a specific amount of time and then turn off to conserve battery. I can set mine in the menu to run for either 3, 10, or 30 sec at a time. If you haven't been continuously shooting try half depressing the shutter button and it will turn the meter back on and you can make your corrections.

As far as the viewfinder goes I have the electronic level activated so that shows up in place of the exposure meter. Try tilting the camera slightly left and right while looking through the viewfinder and see if it changes? You can also change those settings in the menu if you would rather have the meter.

Hope this helps.
01-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Did you set the ISO to a fixed value?
I did.

01-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 9
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by V.rider Quote
A couple things come to mind. I am using a K-50 but I'm going to assume they are very similar if not the same.

The meter is set to run for a specific amount of time and then turn off to conserve battery. I can set mine in the menu to run for either 3, 10, or 30 sec at a time. If you haven't been continuously shooting try half depressing the shutter button and it will turn the meter back on and you can make your corrections.

As far as the viewfinder goes I have the electronic level activated so that shows up in place of the exposure meter. Try tilting the camera slightly left and right while looking through the viewfinder and see if it changes? You can also change those settings in the menu if you would rather have the meter.

Hope this helps.
I set mine to run for 30 sec. And I don't have the electronic level activated.
01-25-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 340
QuoteOriginally posted by chibikitsune Quote
This might sound stupid, but I'll take the chance.
I haven't been able to use the exposure meter on my Pentax K30. I can see it on my lcd display, but it won't move or do anything as I change my aperture or shutter speed. I can't see it at all on my viewfinder. I'm using all manual settings.
Am I missing something obvious?

This is a bit of a long shot, but try dismounting your lens and remount it, making sure it's fully rotated/seated. You could try cleaning the contacts on lens and body to make sure they make proper electrical contact. I just tried partially dismounting the lens on my K-30 and I think I saw similar behaviour.
01-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by chibikitsune Quote
I set mine to run for 30 sec. And I don't have the electronic level activated.
If you turn on the electronic level, do you see the numeric exposure info (in + or - EV) on the bottom right where the ISO reading would be if the level was not turned on?
01-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 377
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If you turn on the electronic level, do you see the numeric exposure info (in + or - EV) on the bottom right where the ISO reading would be if the level was not turned on?
No. Only the lights along the bar reflecting orientation are lit.

01-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
dmc
Forum Member
dmc's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Posts: 76
Best send it in for repair. Sorry . . .
02-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 12
I believe the exposure bar scale is active only in Manual mode with a set ISO. If the ISO is set to a range while in Manual mode the bar remains unlight until you set an exact ISO value. When I use an ISO range in Manual mode I will press the Green button and then make adjustments based on the settings the Green button display. If I use the electronic level in Manual mode the K-30 will then display a +/- value to the right of the level allowing me to make exposure settings to my liking. I would recommend resetting all your options and see if works in Manual mode with a set ISO value before you send it for repair. Page 34 #'s 9, 10 and 11 of the User Manual describes EV bar scale.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
exposure, exposure meter, k-30, k-50, k30, meter, pentax k30, pentax k50, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light meter on my pentax MX not showing 'correct' exposure hit3k Pentax Film SLR Discussion 16 03-07-2016 08:03 AM
Viewfinder display not showing apw1210 Pentax K-r 3 09-25-2012 02:04 PM
RAW photo not showing up in Photoshop Tracie Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 06-22-2011 10:12 PM
Pentax Not Showing Up In Christmas Ads Here In Baltimore baltochef920 General Talk 6 12-22-2008 10:42 AM
3 is showing up in viewfinder? alohadave Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 02-27-2008 05:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top