Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #1

K-30 live view

Hi everyone, why is the Pentax K-30's liveview screen moderately blur? The pictures at playback mode are viewable but when I find it difficult to frame my shot during liveview as it is not sharp and I can't see the preview properly before it is taken. I find it quite frustrating sometimes when I shoot landscape and find that I miss out some elements as it's not properly composed and I have to shoot the pictures again. Thank you very much!

01-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysjerricky Quote
Hi everyone, why is the Pentax K-30's liveview screen moderately blur? The pictures at playback mode are viewable but when I find it difficult to frame my shot during liveview as it is not sharp and I can't see the preview properly before it is taken. I find it quite frustrating sometimes when I shoot landscape and find that I miss out some elements as it's not properly composed and I have to shoot the pictures again. Thank you very much!
Are you confusing blurriness with focus peaking perhaps? And are you using AF or MF?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you confusing blurriness with focus peaking perhaps? And are you using AF or MF?
Hmm I'm using AF but when I press half shutter and the camera focuses, it doesn't seem very focused during LiveView but it's in focus when the picture is taken. This makes me unable to tell if it's focused on not when I'm using manual lenses. Btw, I have heard above the focus peaking but how do I use it?
01-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysjerricky Quote
Hmm I'm using AF but when I press half shutter and the camera focuses, it doesn't seem very focused during LiveView but it's in focus when the picture is taken. This makes me unable to tell if it's focused on not when I'm using manual lenses. Btw, I have heard above the focus peaking but how do I use it?
AF won't work with manual lenses, but with focus peaking enabled, stuff (generally edges) that are in focus will glow. So, once whatever you want to shoot glows, you know that it's in focus. The only issue is that focus peaking is somewhat rough, so your best bet to achieve perfect focus is to magnify the image (by pressing either the OK or INFO button, I forget which) during live view and make small adjustments to the focus until you nail it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I also feel that k30 liveview is not sharp, my k5 liveview feels better. Also k5 liveview can do realsize 8x magnification, k30 is limited to 6x for some reason