Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 11:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just Showing Some Love for the K-50

Welp. I've had this little baby for about a month now, and this would usually be roughly the end of the honeymoon phase, and when the faults of the device would begin to become over-apparent. This has been, however, a joyous four weeks for my most loved hobby. I now feel that I can honestly say that this is the best camera I have used.

Now, I don't want to turn this into some arbitrary fanboy "best camera eva" post and waste your time and mine. I want to break down my personal experiences in photography and how the K-50 improves on them.

I began my interest in photography in photo class in high school around 2002. It was more or less a superficial enjoyment though as I did not care much to learn about exposure. Nevertheless, it did get me started. Jump forward to 2005, I had just finished basic training and decided that my girlfriend at the time and I need to spend some time together. We went traveling--she had a Canon Rebel XT (350D). I had never used a DSLR before then, but looking through that viewfinder did take me back. She let me use the Rebel on trips while she used a video camera. It was at the San Diego Zoo where it hit me: I love photography. Unfortunately, it would be years before I had the funds to buy a DSLR of my own, and I forgot about photography.

Jump ahead to 2008, I was walking around the local flea market with a friend when I discovered a Pentax P3 with an A 50mm f2 attached. I picked it up, tested out the shutter and aperture, and asked how much the man wanted for the set. He said $20. I noted that it was a bit beat and the lens was pretty rough focusing, and I was able to talk him down to $5! And it began.

Weekly we would go to the flea market and I would collect K-mount lenses. Even my friend got the bug and bought a K1000. We went around shooting, going through rolls and rolls of film. I was becoming obsessed. I read everything I could find on photography and exposure. I took photography classes at community college and my university. I learned the histories and the names, especially Garry Winogrand. I realized that my strength and passion was street photography. And in late 2009 I bought my first DSLR: The Pentax K-x. It was an easy decision; I had accumulated a presentable collection of great manual primes, and I would only shoot available light/flashless, so the ISO performance was a must. Plus, it was very compact, not much larger than the P3--perfect for the street.

About another year passed, and the K-r was released. I wasn't too interested as I was not feeling I was missing any features. But my good friend who shared this hobby with me was in need of an upgrade to digital. We agreed that I would sell him my K-x and I would use that money to upgrade to the K-r. Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky ones who suffered from focusing and odd firmware issues. Still, I took many great photos with it, but I was losing the enjoyment.

It was around the end of 2011 when I remembered my love for Garry Winogrand's work and I discovered the rangefinder. To test it out, I researched and bought a Yashica Electro 35 GSN. I was speechless. This camera was pure magic. I took it everywhere and forgot I even had a DSLR. Then it escalated: The Konica Hexar! My god! I thought I had loved photography before, but I had no idea what it truly meant. It was the first time I had felt comfortable introducing myself as a street photographer, and that's how my school's art department knew me. But the momentum grew as the digital world called to me again, and in 2012 I bought a Fujifilm X100. Sure, it wasn't a true rangefinder, but then neither was the Hexar. But all this embellishing surely adds up for a full-time student. Money has to come from somewhere, so I sold the K-r and said goodbye to DSLRs. I was a rangefinder man. Or so I thought.

No, I was wrong. The honeymoon only lasted a month, and while the colors were breathtaking, the camera as a whole just had too many issues. The lens was soft, the autofocus was slow, the manual focus was nonexistent, and the menu made me feel handicapped. Moreover, parallax was proving to be too inaccurate for low-angles. I began to realize that things were getting too complicated and my obsession was making me lose focus of my hobby. On top of all this, my reckless spending was causing my to miss bills. I had to make a tough, adult decision and sold practically everything except my Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Pentax ZX-5N, that old, sentimental A 50mm f2, and a couple of rare K lenses. And that's all I had to shoot with.

That is until photo class last summer. It was a photo print based class, so I needed something digital. I had been great with money, but I didn't want to get caught up in that old camera binging trap again. Also, I had just bought my girlfriend a Nikon P7000 for her birthday so she could take the class with me. I searched ebay and found an old Pentax K100D in great condition. I thought back to the first DSLR I had ever used, the Canon Rebel XT, and I still thought those images looked great, and the K100D was even newer! So I bought it along with a used DA 35mm f2.4. I was really impressed, and I made fantastic prints. I was told that the only thing limiting me was my tool, but it was all I could afford.

Six months later Christmas came, and my girlfriend teamed up with my dad and bought me the K-50 I had been drooling over for a few months. I was so happy that I immediately bought my girlfriend a K-x. She knew of my fondness and nostalgia for the model and brand, so we were both very happy and went shooting together daily. Using the wonderful reviews and database here, I bought the F 35-70mm on the cheap, and I was no longer feeling the remorse or regrets. Just pure photography.

So, here we are today, and as I said, the K-50 has survived the honeymoon phase. The camera is truly a wonderful tool. It is quick and stealthy, and with the 35-70mm on my camera and the 35mm f2.4 on her's, we make an unbeatable street team. Also, being the studious scholar [my father thinks] I am, I have been awarded with the Sigma 30mm f1.4. I have never been happier with my favorite hobby. I have an amazing camera and some of the best lenses I have ever used. There is not one thing I can point out about the K-50 that makes it so enjoyable; it just feels right. The grip, the weight, the speed, the controls, the menus, the weather sealing are all incredible. It has a rare perfect blend of professional build, feel, and looks, with the handling and aura of an old film camera. It has the street appeal of the P3, the excitement of the Rebel XT, and image quality better than the X100!

If you have made it this far, I applaud you. But more so, I thank you for sharing in my experiences in photography with me. So if you have any experiences you would like to share, or maybe you would like to just give a shout out to that one special camera model, please post a comment.

Thanks!

Last edited by bsamcash; 01-28-2014 at 12:23 AM.
01-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

Really happy with your review man. Congratz on the new baby
I got myself a K-30 on Jan 1st (after about 4days of intensive reading about different models) as a my first DSLR. I Was a little worried because I dont know much about Pentax. All I knew was that I wanted to avoid a T3i because Im not really into videography anyways.
And ever since, everything I read about the K-30 and the K-50 are just praises. I feel like I made the right choice.
Im a total noob, but I know how to youtube so Im working on that. Haha

Again Congratulations on taking it to next level with your photography.
Hope I will write something like that sometimes in the next 5years, hopefully staying with Pentax.

Peace man
01-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ain't it great when you find a tool which just works for you? You know it's going to be a great partner wherever you go...
01-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Yos
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing
Always good to hear why people love their K-30/K-50!

01-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

always nice to see people love photography so much. K-50 proud owner here as well. i believe its a great camera even though it doesnt get mentioned much here.
started from a pentax super ME, moved on to a canon powershot and its been 7 months now with the k-50.
any street photos that you'd care to share?
01-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Styx1284 Quote
Again Congratulations on taking it to next level with your photography.
Hope I will write something like that sometimes in the next 5years, hopefully staying with Pentax.

Peace man
Thanks! I hope you do, I would love to read it. And in my short experience, even if you dabble in other brands for a while, Pentax will always be home.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Ain't it great when you find a tool which just works for you? You know it's going to be a great partner wherever you go...
Exactly! Though, I wouldn't call my girlfriend a tool. Haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Thanks for sharing
Always good to hear why people love their K-30/K-50!
Yeah. And I'm hoping this inspires more members to share theirs. It really makes for a fun read.

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
always nice to see people love photography so much. K-50 proud owner here as well. i believe its a great camera even though it doesnt get mentioned much here.
started from a pentax super ME, moved on to a canon powershot and its been 7 months now with the k-50.
any street photos that you'd care to share?
Wow. The K-50 is quite the upgrade for you then! I'm glad you enjoy it. I have a Flickr I never use because I'm protective of my photos (I've had some stolen in the past), but your post convinced me to uploaded a few from the past week:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/113646869@N08/sets/72157640244996556/
01-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too love my k-50 that I just bought last month. It doesn't get as much mention here in the forums because, I think, it gets overshadowed by the k-5, k-5ii, and of course the k-3. Even the k-30 gets more attention because it has been on the market longer and it is usually cheaper than the k-50 while offering almost the same features. My guess is that as the K-50 starts getting more traction with consumers, and more sales are offered, more k-50 users will fill the ranks of PF members!

01-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I too love my k-50 that I just bought last month.
Congratulations on your purchase!

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
It doesn't get as much mention here in the forums because, I think, it gets overshadowed by the k-5, k-5ii, and of course the k-3. Even the k-30 gets more attention because it has been on the market longer and it is usually cheaper than the k-50 while offering almost the same features. My guess is that as the K-50 starts getting more traction with consumers, and more sales are offered, more k-50 users will fill the ranks of PF members!
Yeah, I noticed that. It's one of the reasons I wrote this. The K-30 is a great camera, but when I held on at a local shop, it just didn't feel right in my hands. The K-50 seems molded just for me. The grip locks into place and I don't even need a strap! I really hope more people give the K-50 a chance because it is the best camera at its price point and it deserves to be the winner it is to me.
01-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
If you have made it this far, I applaud you.
Bsamcash, it was very easy to read all the way through. I really enjoyed your story. I would surmise that you are a very good photographer, and I know that you are a very good writer as well. Thank you for sharing this.

I enjoy photography very much as well, but I know that I really could use some work on improving the composition and artistic aspects. My first slr was a Pentax ME in 1980. I learned a little about aperture, exposure, and dof, but not much else. I've always been very cost conscious about my hobby, so my desire to not spend much probably limited my growth and enjoyment, but it was my choice and no one else's. First DSLR was a refurb Pentax K100dS in 2009, then a used K5 classic in early 2013. I'm probably a Pentax guy for life. Thanks.
01-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Bsamcash, it was very easy to read all the way through. I really enjoyed your story. I would surmise that you are a very good photographer, and I know that you are a very good writer as well. Thank you for sharing this.
Thank you very much! That does mean a lot. I commented a link a few posts up with seven pictures from the last week taken with my K-50. Your opinion would be great!

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
I enjoy photography very much as well, but I know that I really could use some work on improving the composition and artistic aspects. My first slr was a Pentax ME in 1980. I learned a little about aperture, exposure, and dof, but not much else. I've always been very cost conscious about my hobby, so my desire to not spend much probably limited my growth and enjoyment, but it was my choice and no one else's. First DSLR was a refurb Pentax K100dS in 2009, then a used K5 classic in early 2013. I'm probably a Pentax guy for life. Thanks.
Well, you have been at it for a far greater time than I, I doubt I could give you any pointers. But you cannot go wrong with Pentax. A camera may only a tool, but it's important you trust your tool. I don't see myself leaving the brand again for a long time.
01-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice write up.
01-31-2014, 01:12 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Welp. I've had this little baby for about a month now, and this would usually be roughly the end of the honeymoon phase, and when the faults of the device would begin to become over-apparent. This has been, however, a joyous four weeks for my most loved hobby. I now feel that I can honestly say that this is the best camera I have used.

Now, I don't want to turn this into some arbitrary fanboy "best camera eva" post and waste your time and mine. I want to break down my personal experiences in photography and how the K-50 improves on them.

I began my interest in photography in photo class in high school around 2002. It was more or less a superficial enjoyment though as I did not care much to learn about exposure. Nevertheless, it did get me started. Jump forward to 2005, I had just finished basic training and decided that my girlfriend at the time and I need to spend some time together. We went traveling--she had a Canon Rebel XT (350D). I had never used a DSLR before then, but looking through that viewfinder did take me back. She let me use the Rebel on trips while she used a video camera. It was at the San Diego Zoo where it hit me: I love photography. Unfortunately, it would be years before I had the funds to buy a DSLR of my own, and I forgot about photography.

Jump ahead to 2008, I was walking around the local flea market with a friend when I discovered a Pentax P3 with an A 50mm f2 attached. I picked it up, tested out the shutter and aperture, and asked how much the man wanted for the set. He said $20. I noted that it was a bit beat and the lens was pretty rough focusing, and I was able to talk him down to $5! And it began.

Weekly we would go to the flea market and I would collect K-mount lenses. Even my friend got the bug and bought a K1000. We went around shooting, going through rolls and rolls of film. I was becoming obsessed. I read everything I could find on photography and exposure. I took photography classes at community college and my university. I learned the histories and the names, especially Garry Winogrand. I realized that my strength and passion was street photography. And in late 2009 I bought my first DSLR: The Pentax K-x. It was an easy decision; I had accumulated a presentable collection of great manual primes, and I would only shoot available light/flashless, so the ISO performance was a must. Plus, it was very compact, not much larger than the P3--perfect for the street.

About another year passed, and the K-r was released. I wasn't too interested as I was not feeling I was missing any features. But my good friend who shared this hobby with me was in need of an upgrade to digital. We agreed that I would sell him my K-x and I would use that money to upgrade to the K-r. Unfortunately, I was one of the unlucky ones who suffered from focusing and odd firmware issues. Still, I took many great photos with it, but I was losing the enjoyment.

It was around the end of 2011 when I remembered my love for Garry Winogrand's work and I discovered the rangefinder. To test it out, I researched and bought a Yashica Electro 35 GSN. I was speechless. This camera was pure magic. I took it everywhere and forgot I even had a DSLR. Then it escalated: The Konica Hexar! My god! I thought I had loved photography before, but I had no idea what it truly meant. It was the first time I had felt comfortable introducing myself as a street photographer, and that's how my school's art department knew me. But the momentum grew as the digital world called to me again, and in 2012 I bought a Fujifilm X100. Sure, it wasn't a true rangefinder, but then neither was the Hexar. But all this embellishing surely adds up for a full-time student. Money has to come from somewhere, so I sold the K-r and said goodbye to DSLRs. I was a rangefinder man. Or so I thought.

No, I was wrong. The honeymoon only lasted a month, and while the colors were breathtaking, the camera as a whole just had too many issues. The lens was soft, the autofocus was slow, the manual focus was nonexistent, and the menu made me feel handicapped. Moreover, parallax was proving to be too inaccurate for low-angles. I began to realize that things were getting too complicated and my obsession was making me lose focus of my hobby. On top of all this, my reckless spending was causing my to miss bills. I had to make a tough, adult decision and sold practically everything except my Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Pentax ZX-5N, that old, sentimental A 50mm f2, and a couple of rare K lenses. And that's all I had to shoot with.

That is until photo class last summer. It was a photo print based class, so I needed something digital. I had been great with money, but I didn't want to get caught up in that old camera binging trap again. Also, I had just bought my girlfriend a Nikon P7000 for her birthday so she could take the class with me. I searched ebay and found an old Pentax K100D in great condition. I thought back to the first DSLR I had ever used, the Canon Rebel XT, and I still thought those images looked great, and the K100D was even newer! So I bought it along with a used DA 35mm f2.4. I was really impressed, and I made fantastic prints. I was told that the only thing limiting me was my tool, but it was all I could afford.

Six months later Christmas came, and my girlfriend teamed up with my dad and bought me the K-50 I had been drooling over for a few months. I was so happy that I immediately bought my girlfriend a K-x. She knew of my fondness and nostalgia for the model and brand, so we were both very happy and went shooting together daily. Using the wonderful reviews and database here, I bought the F 35-70mm on the cheap, and I was no longer feeling the remorse or regrets. Just pure photography.

So, here we are today, and as I said, the K-50 has survived the honeymoon phase. The camera is truly a wonderful tool. It is quick and stealthy, and with the 35-70mm on my camera and the 35mm f2.4 on her's, we make an unbeatable street team. Also, being the studious scholar [my father thinks] I am, I have been awarded with the Sigma 30mm f1.4. I have never been happier with my favorite hobby. I have an amazing camera and some of the best lenses I have ever used. There is not one thing I can point out about the K-50 that makes it so enjoyable; it just feels right. The grip, the weight, the speed, the controls, the menus, the weather sealing are all incredible. It has a rare perfect blend of professional build, feel, and looks, with the handling and aura of an old film camera. It has the street appeal of the P3, the excitement of the Rebel XT, and image quality better than the X100!

If you have made it this far, I applaud you. But more so, I thank you for sharing in my experiences in photography with me. So if you have any experiences you would like to share, or maybe you would like to just give a shout out to that one special camera model, please post a comment.

Thanks!
Good for you,Bro...ive had my K30 for alittle over a month now myself and already took it to a trip to DC and headed to LA and san fran again but this time i will be more prepared with my new baby..i share your fondness for the pentax.i did so much research(was driving my girlfriend crazy haha) i was losing sleep and working longer hours just to save up the money to buy myself it for christmas and finally got it! (went for the sexy white one )... now i have it and love it.. so congrats man this is a great post and keep enjoying the camera and show some of your shots..i like to see how the K50 works haha
02-01-2014, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #13

Wow wow wow I'm a student myself and I have a Yashica Electro 35 CC and Konica Hexar as well! I really feel for you (agree with most of the things you say). Students like us are forced to make the best out of the tools we have! And it's even better than you have a girlfriend that has the same hobby as you! Really admire the two of you