Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Peszek Quote
Hi:
Has anyone had success shooting sports with the K 30 and the DA 50-135..2.8?
I know I need a fast lens. These seems to measure up. I'm usually close to the action. I shoot other stuff as well and this lens gets great reviews. It's really for grandkids hockey ( mostly indoor) and outdoor soccer. Seems to be way lighter than the Sigma 70-200 which I'm also considering. I do like the weather sealed component of the Pentax lens.
Have you attended a game at the hockey rink with either your camera or a light meter to exactly determine your shooting requirements? Often the lighting at smaller venues is dismal and might push your requirements into the high-priced neighborhood.

My son's indoor soccer team switched to a new location, but the lighting was 1.5 stops darker than the prior place. Yikes! I ended up having to use my FF 5DMK3 and a 135mm F2 L lens @ f2.8 @ ISO 12,800. Plus I had to shoot through glass as everything else was netted. Shots turned out decent generally, but it took a lot of post magic.

M