Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

K-50 Image Colors

Hey all. I'm quite the novice here, and I'm sure my question will verify this. After reading countless testimonials regarding the K-50, I decided to purchase one before Christmas of this year. Along with the camera, I purchased the 18-135mm lens and the 50mm 1.8 lens. I have been very pleased with it thus far as I continue to learn about this fine camera. One issue that I am having regards color of indoor images. Even though images are sharp, many of my indoor shots produce colors not true to the original image. I have owned Canon Rebels in the past and didn't experience this issue with indoor color. Using the built in flash helps, but produces a softer image. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I continue to improve my skills

02-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you familiar as to what white balance (WB) is?

It can be changed in camera or later in post processing to eliminate weird color hues. Indoors you've got all types of lighting, fluorescent, LED, etc that will produce different results on your image, so you will have to play with your WB and see what setting looks most natural.

Take a look at this guide for more info: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

On the K-50, WB setting should be the down WB button on the four-way selection pad.

Last edited by Julie; 02-01-2014 at 11:59 AM.
02-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Are you familiar as to what white balance (WB) is?

It can be changed in camera or later in post processing to eliminate weird color hues. Indoors you've got all types of lighting, fluorescent, LED, etc that will produce different results on your image, so you will have to play with your WB and see what setting looks most natural.

Take a look at this guide for more info: Understanding White Balance

On the K-50, WB setting should be the down WB button on the four-way selection pad.
Thanks for your response, Julie. Yes, I am familiar with white balance, but probably need to better understand settings, so thank you for the link I kind of thought the issue concerned white balance.
02-01-2014, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #4

Try playing around with the white balance on the K-50. Assuming its the same as the K-30, you can press the WB button while in manual mode and switch through all the different kinds. It will show you the effect of that white balance setting on the last photo that you took.

If its not the white balance, try playing around with things like saturation and contrast in an image editing software.

02-01-2014, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kizzk Quote
Thanks for your response, Julie. Yes, I am familiar with white balance, but probably need to better understand settings, so thank you for the link I kind of thought the issue concerned white balance.
No problem! Playing around with the settings is the best way to learn.

You should also check to make see if maybe you've accidentally changed some settings that are yielding these results. Go to the INFO button and then the top two on the left should be CUSTOM IMAGE and DIGITAL FILTER. Make sure you have those off or on natural settings if you don't want any of the effects affecting your photos.
02-01-2014, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Hey, welcome!
Even though images are sharp, many of my indoor shots produce colors not true to the original image
Can you be more specific? Maybe even post a sample photo?

Indoors the light is very orange, but out eyes get used to it and we no longer see it as "orange." Another problem are modern bulbs that produce a different light spectrum, especially LED lights. LED lights are very hard to correct. Normal bulbs are easier.

Either way, first thing to do, is to go the WB menu and choose Tungsten for indoors. AWB is not the best setting for indoors, but AWB does an "okay" job. I am not sure about that camera model, but some have a menu option for "Tungsten light: Strong correction" - you try turning this on or off to see if it makes the results more to your liking.
And finally, if you press Info, you can choose jpeg mode. This also affects colours very directly.
Oh, and if you have extremely high ISO number, it will cause noise to appear, which might make the photo appear more.. blotchy, purplish
02-01-2014, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey all. I'm quite the novice here, and I'm sure my question will verify this. After reading countless testimonials regarding the K-50, I decided to purchase one before Christmas of this year. Along with the camera, I purchased the 18-135mm lens and the 50mm 1.8 lens. I have been very pleased with it thus far as I continue to learn about this fine camera. One issue that I am having regards color of indoor images. Even though images are sharp, many of my indoor shots produce colors not true to the original image. I have owned Canon Rebels in the past and didn't experience this issue with indoor color. Using the built in flash helps, but produces a softer image. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I continue to improve my skills
I have a K-30 and also have the 18-135 lens. What white balance setting are you using? I find the auto covers most situations quite well, but there are always some lights that are different, and it's entirely possible the Rebel handled that better. I only shoot in raw so correction is pretty easy.

Are you shooting raw or jpeg? By the way, welcome to the Forum, and what part of Ohio are you in?

02-01-2014, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The thing that helped me the most with this was to set up the camera on a tripod and keep shooting various indoor subjects under different lighting scenarios, only changing one setting at a time on the camera. I shot several thousand photos on different days, checking after each one to see what effect each setting would have Lucky for us, digital is "free" (using that word loosely, since the camera and lenses are decidedly not :-). I found I much prefer native indoor lighting effects to flash, especially when I can get the settings just right or when I'm able to get just the right amount of light through a window. Post capture processing in camera, as others have suggested here, is also very helpful.
02-01-2014, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An option to consider when shooting in troublesome light is to use RAW or RAW+. If the colours are off, you can correct them in the RAW image, and still retain the remaining image quality.
02-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have a K-30 and also have the 18-135 lens. What white balance setting are you using? I find the auto covers most situations quite well, but there are always some lights that are different, and it's entirely possible the Rebel handled that better. I only shoot in raw so correction is pretty easy.

Are you shooting raw or jpeg? By the way, welcome to the Forum, and what part of Ohio are you in?
Thanks for the welcome and reply. I've pretty much figured out that my issue was indeed my inexperience with using white balance settings correctly. I just need to experiment more with this camera I really appreciate all the advice that this forum generates and everyone so far seems to be very tolerant of the inexperienced, unlike some other sites. As for where I'm located in Ohio, I'm in Celina, not far from Elida
02-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sdenby Quote
Try playing around with the white balance on the K-50. Assuming its the same as the K-30, you can press the WB button while in manual mode and switch through all the different kinds. It will show you the effect of that white balance setting on the last photo that you took.

If its not the white balance, try playing around with things like saturation and contrast in an image editing software.
Thanks for the reply I think I'm on the right track now, thanks to the fine people on this site.
02-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
Forum Member

Just an aside...You mentioned that white balance problems weren't apparent when photographing under indoor light with Canon Rebels. One of the reasons I sold my Canon 1100D (T3) was the orange/yellow cast on all photos taken under incandescent lighting. This seems to be a 'problem' inherent to the Digic III and IV (at least) systems used by Canon, and it is very well documented. Here's just one example: Canon Rebel T3i / EOS 600D Review: Digital Photography Review
Look at the Cons section, and you'll see it's listed there.
Personally, I've had very few white balance issues with the Pentax K-50 under similar conditions. I am very far from being an expert on the subject, but am satisfied with the results out of teh box. But the type of lighting (tungsten, CFL, et al. – as already stated), placement, mixture of ambient lighting, etc. all have an effect... But Pentax nailed it, I think.

Last edited by Schmidt; 02-02-2014 at 06:22 PM.