Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
I couldn't agree more.
Ditto - get a refund - you have our backing ....

02-01-2014, 04:15 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kosmoejtg Quote
I recently attended a winter photography class at the Chicago Botanical Garden. Of the 11 people in the class I was the only one that didn't sport a Canon or Nikon. I don't mind being different, as a matter of fact i like being the only one in a group with a Pentax, but it does get annoying when people as so biased. For instance, the instructor spent some time reviewing ways to protect the camera and lens from the elements. I was sitting there with my K-30 and 18-135 mm feeling pretty smug. When I mentioned that some cameras and lenses are weather resistant two of my fellow classmates quickly stated that it doesn't work. I mentioned a test of a K-3 under a faucet that continued to take pictures and they didn't believe it and weren't swayed. Not wanting to get in an argument I dropped it. The instructor wasn't much better saying at one point that any lens other than Nikon or Canon was as clear as butter. Not sure what that means but it wasn't a compliment. Of course it could just be that they are ignorant of anything other than Canon or Nikon.
I think it's probably some of both. Cannon and Nikon are so ubiquitous (it's the first display you see when you walk into Costco, for heaven sake). So perhaps the ready availability makes the decision easier for some folks and then (as mentioned above) one must justify one's choice, right? No reason for your instructor to be so ill-informed, though. That weather resistance sure helps here in Oregon!

The Cannikon world had just the opposite effect on me when entering the DSLR arena. I found the startling array of their models and evolving lens mounts rather overwhelming. The simplicity of the Pentax line and its welcomed stubborn attachment to the K mount was incredibly alluring. What really sealed the deal for me was the day I walked into a little old camera store here, saw shelves lined with antique cameras and used Pentax lenses, and walked out with a great 100-300mm that clicked right in. And I still had my wallet when I left.
02-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Every time I go to a photo class, the instructor is usually wrong about something, or just oversimplifies to avoid confusion. So that's why I sort of zone out until it's time to actually take some pictures in the garden lol.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I just whip out my photo album, let the pictures do the talking.

Fortunately I've rarely had to do so, and of the people I've met carrying Canon or Nikon most were at least reasonable about it. And after showing off some of the pictures, nobody has ever put Pentax down so far. A friend in Louisiana told me after seeing dozens of my shots, his next one would be a Pentax. (Nikon guy)

I haven't tried to get in touch with the photography club here yet, when i was here before they were similar, it was all film and I had the only Pentax in the room. I got a few odd looks at first, but once I started showing a few prints, nobody had any put downs. And I wasn't really that good at the time...barely past beginner stage but getting some decent shots.

If I didn't have the option of showing off some prints, I'd either try to get to a computer or tell them I happen to know my K30 will keep up with anything their camera can produce. I've compared it too loads of photos on a print on demand site, and the shots posted elsewhere, and as long as the photographer knows what he or she is doing, any of them can produce excellent images, and a Pentax in the hands of a good photographer can match anything Canon or Nikon makes with no problem, at least as far as image quality goes...

Now the instructor's comment about lenses...that's just ignorance. Maybe you should have told him that 50 years ago Pentax was producing lenses for Nikon....(might have been more than 50 years, but around WWII Nikon was making a lot of gunsights and such, and Pentax made a lot of their glass.) Pentax also produced the first commercially available spot metering system, the Spotmatic, which was the #1 choice of professionals for over 20 years) and Canon wasn't even heard of until long after the K mount was in production. At the time of the Spotmatic, Pentax and Minolta were the top dogs. Nikon didn't become popular until Paul Simon wrote the song "Kodachrome", at that time Nikon was just starting to build a reputation. Pentax Spotmatic had been the #1 pro camera for 20 years. I think Pentax might have also produced lenses for Minolta, but don't remember. Pentax, Minolta and Nikon have all been in business with various names since around 1915. In some cases they collaborated on things too. Don't know when Canon started...

You can always drop a few of those facts on them...

02-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #20

Some experienced photographers can also be quite ignorant about the gear they choose not to use. It's a strange world, at times. ,
02-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Every time I go to a photo class, the instructor is usually wrong about something, or just oversimplifies to avoid confusion. So that's why I sort of zone out until it's time to actually take some pictures in the garden lol.
Well said, Adam. I've linked up with a Canon user for my next photo class. I've been giving photo classes here for twenty odd years. The only problems I have had with other people's cameras is trying to understand Canon ergonomics. Sherry will solve that problem. I use Pentax because I've always used Pentax (since 1961). I've never seen an overwhelming reason to switch brands.
02-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
I think it's probably some of both. Cannon and Nikon are so ubiquitous (it's the first display you see when you walk into Costco, for heaven sake). So perhaps the ready availability makes the decision easier for some folks and then (as mentioned above) one must justify one's choice, right? No reason for your instructor to be so ill-informed, though. That weather resistance sure helps here in Oregon!

The Cannikon world had just the opposite effect on me when entering the DSLR arena. I found the startling array of their models and evolving lens mounts rather overwhelming. The simplicity of the Pentax line and its welcomed stubborn attachment to the K mount was incredibly alluring. What really sealed the deal for me was the day I walked into a little old camera store here, saw shelves lined with antique cameras and used Pentax lenses, and walked out with a great 100-300mm that clicked right in. And I still had my wallet when I left.
I think the ubiquitousness of Cannikon is a big part of the equation. Most of the big camera sellers only have those brands and maybe Olympus or Sony. Though COSTCO have had K-30 and I think K-50 kits I never actually saw any in the store. However, as stated earlier, pack mentality plays a big role. As opposed to most of us, typically folks like to have the same as others.

02-01-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #23

Sighs it's not about the brand it's about the quality. Pentax > Canikons anytime
02-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a real ignorance about other brands than Canon/Nikon. It's just the way that it is. The reality is that Olympus, Sony, and Pentax all produce nice cameras and nice glass that is quite capable. On the other hand, Canon and Nikon kit lenses aren't awesome pieces of glass, despite the brand name that is featured on them.

I don't worry about other's opinions on my camera. As time goes by and your photos improve, you'll hear more and more the comment all photographers crave to hear: "You must have a really nice camera!"
02-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #25
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My uncle actually got mad when I did better pics with my K5 than he did with his 5D mk II. Later he asked how the heck I did it with a camera and lenses that cost far less than his. Equipment does matter some, but skill matters more, and there are loads of people far more skilled than I on here.
02-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
My uncle actually got mad when I did better pics with my K5 than he did with his 5D mk II. Later he asked how the heck I did it with a camera and lenses that cost far less than his. Equipment does matter some, but *skill matters more*, and there are loads of people far more skilled than I on here.
I think that's the hard part for me, but I'm learning, or at least trying to. What I hate most is that I also have to learn at least a bit of PP & I totally, completely blow at it.
02-01-2014, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #27
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I think that's the hard part for me, but I'm learning, or at least trying to. What I hate most is that I also have to learn at least a bit of PP & I totally, completely blow at it.
Here's what I do. I set everything to where I want it according to the meter with ISO as low as possible, aperture to where I need it, and shutter speed to something reasonable. That gives me the right exposure, then I open the RAW in photoshop, and generally mess with clarity and contrast, sometimes boost the black and brightness, and sometimes hue and saturation a little, though normally only contrast and clarity. Sometimes I do a little with white balance, but only a little.
02-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

i used to get the same type of responses with my Sonys as well. its simply a matter familiarity and association and some ignorance with a dash of product pride and hint of gang mentality.

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-01-2014 at 08:21 PM.
02-01-2014, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysjerricky Quote
Sighs it's not about the brand it's about the quality. Pentax > Canikons anytime
For me, it was about how far my dollar went. I could get features in an entry level Pentax that would have cost me hundreds more from Canikon.
02-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #30

I think Canon is slowly going down the market. Let's see in a few year's time where Pentax/Sony/Olympus go and where the L lenses will land.