Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My daughter took a B&W film photography Winter-term class in college recently that REQUIRED a fully manual camera. The class was 4 weeks in New Mexico and the weather caused batteries to fail. Every single student brought a CLA'ed 70's film camera - half of them were Pentax, some F1's some F series Nikon, etc. She had my KX and the required 4 focal lengths of K Pentax lenses.

First day the instructor inspected cameras. Her instructor knew precisely what she had, praised it and reviewed with her the complete techniques of using it (Av Judas window, self-timer and MLU versus K1000) - and did the same for every other student and camera. Then told the class about K-mount compatibility, though he used Nikon. And featured something about every other brand.

It's all about what the instructor knows and wants to accomplish.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-02-2014 at 10:20 AM.
02-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #32
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
For me, it was about how far my dollar went. I could get features in an entry level Pentax that would have cost me hundreds more from Canikon.
Same for me. I was going to get a Nikon D3000 and a friend told me about the Kx. I actually bought it here in the Marketplace in 2010, and I've never looked back. Now I couldn't afford to switch brands, which is fine by me, because I am happy with what I have.
02-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The facts are that it is pretty hard to buy a name-brand dSLR or lens on the current market that is not pretty decent. While there are obvious differences in features and/or build, nobody is making junk. Comments to the contrary are an indication of both ignorance and bias.
I wholeheartedly agree.

For me, it was about how far my dollar went. I could get features in an entry level Pentax that would have cost me hundreds more from Canikon.
I think a lot of us got into Pentax for exactly this reason. I distinctly remember looking at a K100D when it was the hot new entry-level Pentax and comparing it to the comparable Canikons. It was easier at the time, because there was a convenient store that actually stocked all three and I could physically hold them. The Pentax was clearly the best deal of the bunch and I've not really looked back.
02-02-2014, 01:57 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kosmoejtg Quote
The instructor wasn't much better saying at one point that any lens other than Nikon or Canon was as clear as butter. Not sure what that means but it wasn't a compliment.
His stupid and rude comments probably comes result from the fact he didn't have a clue to what you were shooting which made him feel uncomfortable.

Me, well I would have told him to take his butter, and his biggest Canon/Nikon Lens....

A good teacher of photography would have never said what he did.

02-02-2014, 05:07 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Bias or ignorance?
Probably a bit of both with maybe a hint a jealousy thrown in for good measure!

That being said by this unbiased Pentax forum member.
02-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Likewise. After having all my gear stolen, i was left with a clean slate and little money. Pentax offered the features i wanted for the most affordable price.
02-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I recently attended a winter photography class at the Chicago Botanical Garden. Of the 11 people in the class I was the only one that didn't sport a Canon or Nikon. I don't mind being different, as a matter of fact i like being the only one in a group with a Pentax, but it does get annoying when people as so biased. For instance, the instructor spent some time reviewing ways to protect the camera and lens from the elements. I was sitting there with my K-30 and 18-135 mm feeling pretty smug. When I mentioned that some cameras and lenses are weather resistant two of my fellow classmates quickly stated that it doesn't work. I mentioned a test of a K-3 under a faucet that continued to take pictures and they didn't believe it and weren't swayed. Not wanting to get in an argument I dropped it. The instructor wasn't much better saying at one point that any lens other than Nikon or Canon was as clear as butter. Not sure what that means but it wasn't a compliment. Of course it could just be that they are ignorant of anything other than Canon or Nikon.
These are usually easy situations to discuss with the uninformed. All you really need to say is you thought about buying a Nikon as it was the easy thing to do. Instead, you decided to research it much more and then chose to get a Pentax despite them being much harder to find.

02-02-2014, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

What you are missing...a lot of you are missing.....this sort of thing is not about cameras, not about brands. It is about people. There are decent and reasonable people and then there are hate filled mean spirited people. Sometimes we need to watch ourselves to make sure we don't end up on the wrong side of right...I sure as hell know I do! ( I think I heard a couple of Mods in the background say...."Amen!")

Regards.....Don't ever let someone else steal your joy, it belongs to you and is up to you to protect.
02-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Whenever someone looks at my camera and says "Pentax? Why?" I say "Only the best!"
02-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Took a class last spring, and my K-r was the only Pentax in the group. Instructor (Nikon guy, although he later admitted that maybe, just maybe, that D600 wasn't worth what he paid for it...but I digress) tried several times to lump my camera into the "beginner/entry level" group compared to what others had. But time after time, discussing features, the K-r had things that some of the Canikons didn't (IBIS, cross-type focus points, others than I forget). And it was vastly easier to use than several of the Canons...even the instructor couldn't figure out how to switch between AF-S and AF-C on one of them. On the Pentax? Easy as pie.
02-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #41

Original Poster
Do you think it is easier for a casual user to be in the Canon/Nikon world than in ours? There is much greater availability, there is a greater chance that you know someone with a near identical camera that can help if needed and heck they even have books for the more popular cameras.
02-02-2014, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you think it is easier for a casual user to be in the Canon/Nikon world than in ours? There is much greater availability, there is a greater chance that you know someone with a near identical camera that can help if needed and heck they even have books for the more popular cameras.
In my experience most Canikon users have trouble using their own cameras, let alone helping anyone else...what menu is that in?

It's really only easier to buy them.
02-02-2014, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy. The menus and controls of Canon are okay, not as good as Pentax, but okay. But Nikon makes no sense at all. Who in the world thought it would be user-friendly to put ISO under a menu found by pressing some obscure "i" button! What's wrong with a button that says "ISO!"
02-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #44
Site Supporter

I like that all the stuff one would regularly want to change is easily and readily available by a dial or button or switch. Not buried in a submenu of a submenu off the main menu tree.
02-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #45

Honestly, I really don't feel it's easier. I mean, you are absolutely correct regarding availability, but I don't often stumble upon a lot of "casual" users of Canon/Nikon cameras that are truly reaping the rewards of such widespread availability when it comes to getting help. Most the Nikon/Canon shooters I know are either very self-sufficient technically or they are just kind of stumbling through spraying and praying. That said, I do think increased availability gives them a slight edge when it comes to borrowing gear. So, in the end, I think it is a wash--it's simpler for a casual user to just pick up a Pentax, but casual Nikon/Canon shooters are much more likely to find good gear to borrow.