Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I noted on my camera it was Tv, not S. He was sure that was just a mode for shooting pictures on the television.

02-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #62
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
He was sure that was just a mode for shooting pictures on the television
Aye it's close enough to be believable so therefore it's real.
02-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #63
Pentaxian

I agree, get your money back. That teacher's gravitas is inexistent, after those ridiculous remarks. I wouldn't trust anything else he said.
02-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #64
Veteran Member

I'm still amazed at the people that don't know Pentax makes dslr's They don't know what they are missing.

02-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #65

I've been in that situation too. The photography world is full of morons with no sense of individual thinking. Pentax makes some great cameras, so if they work stick with it and don't look around, there's no need to be another brick in the wall
02-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
What you are missing...a lot of you are missing.....this sort of thing is not about cameras, not about brands. It is about people. There are decent and reasonable people and then there are hate filled mean spirited people.
I agree with Rupert. The "clear as butter" comment was ignorant and intended solely as a put-down. When I read that, my first thoughts didn't go to Pentax, but to all the great photos made throughout history with Leicas, Hasselblads, and large format cameras. I guess I've been lucky. I've never run into anyone who put down my Pentax gear. The only real semi-argument I've ever had about it involved someone who was very familiar with the Pentax brand, he was just certain that they never made a digital SLR. He wasn't mean about it, though.
02-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

I read a report the other day that said 1 in 25 people is a Sociopath/Psychopath without conscience or any concern for the feelings, needs, or views of others. You don't have to go far or mingle much to cross paths with 25 people, so it is pretty easy to find that 1 in 25.
It did cross my mind to wonder if those 1 in 25 had a brand preference? Canon .....maybe???

Regards!
02-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My 2 cents::

1) Any lens other than Nikon or Canon is "clear as butter"? Really? He apparently hasn't heard of Zeiss or Leica, huh? Some instructor. Get a refund, 'cause you can't learn anything from this guy.

2) You can't change the mind of a moron... Don't try. It never works. If someone wants to be smug and remain willfully ignorant, just write 'em off and walk away. Seek the company of people with more than 2 brain cells to rub together. You'll be happier and you won't develop an ulcer.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!
Bobbo

02-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter

I think most casual shooters just want a big P&S and think somehow the camera will do all the work for them. If a class teaches them anything, it should be that a DSLR will be more work than a P&S camera. They'll get better results IF they put some work into it. It's a tool, after all. Buying a $9000 table saw won't guarantee better results than a $600 one if you don't know what you're doing...

Instructors need to leave their biases at the door, however. If anyone should know there are great offerings from every brand, it should be an experienced instructor. And I think the only valid response to the 'clear as butter' remark would be a firm 'BS.' Why are Cannikon guys adapting Pentax glass, then? Riddle me that. Shall we compare 100mm macro lenses? That's bias, plain and simple and should be greeted with derision or at best a query about their personal experience.
02-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #70
Site Supporter

A forum like this is awfully useful from a learning standpoint. People here do shoot lots of different brands of cameras -- and different sizes from point and shoots to large format -- but in general, they are just very willing to help others learn what they need. There is always a certain strain of "gear head" that focuses on how awesome their gear is. How well it scored on DXO Mark or, what the mtf of their lenses is, but in general, it is not about gear, it is about vision and how well you can achieve that with your camera and your old (or new) lenses.
02-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Been there! I was at a class wherein the instructor was covering shutter priority and I noted on my camera it was Tv, not S. He was sure that was just a mode for shooting pictures on the television. He was an excellent instructor on any of the non technical aspects of photography which are the more important anyway.
Funny, my Ricoh XR-P has a TV mode that's exactly for that - shooting pictures of a working television set! Apparently it sets the shutter speed in accordance with the transmission frequency so that it doesn't show those horizontal stripes.
02-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Instructors need to leave their biases at the door, however. If anyone should know there are great offerings from every brand, it should be an experienced instructor.
Definitely. It's not a hard thing to do. Unless you've signed up for a course on a specific model of camera or you're discussing the minute details of settings (e.g., Tv vs S), there's really no reason for brand to come into discussion.
02-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye it's close enough to be believable so therefore it's real.
) Now I need to Find a purpose of TaV mode It is for shootting Television and Video? c Sorry

Last edited by AldaCZ; 02-07-2014 at 06:13 AM.
02-07-2014, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #74

Original Poster
I ended up not attending the last class, it was too cold and I wasn't getting much out of it the class anyhow. I hear you guys about getting my money back but it wasn't that much and not worth the trouble. Anyhow it made for a good story and got some peoples blood boiling on the forum so it may have been money well spent. Anyhow, after i buttered my toast with my M 50mm 1.7 it started taking clearer pictures
02-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by kosmoejtg Quote
I ended up not attending the last class, it was too cold and I wasn't getting much out of it the class anyhow. I hear you guys about getting my money back but it wasn't that much and not worth the trouble. Anyhow it made for a good story and got some peoples blood boiling on the forum so it may have been money well spent. Anyhow, after i buttered my toast with my M 50mm 1.7 it started taking clearer pictures
you didn't waste your time then