Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bias or ignorance?

I recently attended a winter photography class at the Chicago Botanical Garden. Of the 11 people in the class I was the only one that didn't sport a Canon or Nikon. I don't mind being different, as a matter of fact i like being the only one in a group with a Pentax, but it does get annoying when people as so biased. For instance, the instructor spent some time reviewing ways to protect the camera and lens from the elements. I was sitting there with my K-30 and 18-135 mm feeling pretty smug. When I mentioned that some cameras and lenses are weather resistant two of my fellow classmates quickly stated that it doesn't work. I mentioned a test of a K-3 under a faucet that continued to take pictures and they didn't believe it and weren't swayed. Not wanting to get in an argument I dropped it. The instructor wasn't much better saying at one point that any lens other than Nikon or Canon was as clear as butter. Not sure what that means but it wasn't a compliment. Of course it could just be that they are ignorant of anything other than Canon or Nikon.

02-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kosmoejtg Quote
I recently attended a winter photography class at the Chicago Botanical Garden. Of the 11 people in the class I was the only one that didn't sport a Canon or Nikon. I don't mind being different, as a matter of fact i like being the only one in a group with a Pentax, but it does get annoying when people as so biased. For instance, the instructor spent some time reviewing ways to protect the camera and lens from the elements. I was sitting there with my K-30 and 18-135 mm feeling pretty smug. When I mentioned that some cameras and lenses are weather resistant two of my fellow classmates quickly stated that it doesn't work. I mentioned a test of a K-3 under a faucet that continued to take pictures and they didn't believe it and weren't swayed. Not wanting to get in an argument I dropped it. The instructor wasn't much better saying at one point that any lens other than Nikon or Canon was as clear as butter. Not sure what that means but it wasn't a compliment. Of course it could just be that they are ignorant of anything other than Canon or Nikon.
I think the "clear as butter" remark is the equivalent of the phrase we use down here, "clear as mud". In other words, other companies' lenses are garbage & incapable of producing clear results.
02-01-2014, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Pack mentailty
02-01-2014, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #4

I agree that pentax cameras are more durable and such than others.
As to their comment, ignore it and stand up to your uniqueness! Its bias.

02-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People generally go with the first camera a salesman puts in their hands.

A lot of people in Syracuse use Canon because the salesman at Ra-Lins uses Canon. (This is a 'pro' who couldn't tell me the difference between a parfocal and varifocal lens, and didn't know that IF lenses are only at maximum focal length at infinity focus).

I'm sure there are nearly as many who use Nikon because the salesman at Best Buy uses Nikon (And 24 MP is better than 18 MP )

I mostly hear "Pentax? They still make cameras?"
02-01-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kosmoejtg Quote
Mostly ignorance, the bias just comes from self justification of their purchases. We've all got some of that, even if our cameras are better
02-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the instructor stated that and focused on brand rather than results then you should have dropped it and demanded a refund.

02-01-2014, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

I mostly hear "Pentax? They still make cameras?"
I have to admit that it was exactly my reaction when I first discovered that there existed Pentax DSLRs.I had been looking for a DSLR for some time not quite finding anything with the capabilities I needed at a realistic price. At some point I stumbled upon the K-x (or K-m?) when looking through comparisons of noise and was surprised that not only there existed a Pentax DSLR but it was the one of the best performers (especially regarding high ISO noise) among anything up to double its price as well as having nearly all the features I needed that were missing from the Canikon and Sony models I had been looking at. A few weeks later I bought my first Pentax DSLR, a K-r.

Actually I knew there were Pentax cameras but I though they were only rebranded point and shoot compacts made by some obscure Chinese OEM.
02-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If the instructor stated that and focused on brand rather than results then you should have dropped it and demanded a refund.
I couldn't agree more.
02-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

Original Poster
I thought of that but decided to not let me it bother me. My opinion of the instructor did go down with that comment though. I am sure I wasn't the only one bothered by this because one of the other students was showing off his new Sigma 18-35 mm earlier so he was probably not feeling much love for the instructor either.
02-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Show + Tell?

Hello Kosmoejtg, welcome to the Forum!
Maybe I'm stubborn, but my reaction would be to show' em. Is there an online forum to post photos? Some sort of 'Show us what you've done' record?
Any way to compare results? Another class coming up?
If there's an opportunity to display my work alongside the others, it will be much clearer than butter how good Pentax glass (and cameras) are.
I'd pick out 1/2 dozen of my best and take on all comers, regardless of brand.
This happened to me with one of my camera clubs, very Canikon-oriented. Not quite as obvious as your instructor, but plenty of sideways looks and subtle comments. After a couple of trips to the Botanical Gardens, then posting our results on the club Forum, no more whispers or looks. My work may not be the greatest, but it stands up to anything done by the others and honestly, it's better than most.
It's the final image that matters; Show' em.
But. ya' know, that's just me!
Ron
02-01-2014, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Kosmoejtg, welcome to the Forum!
Maybe I'm stubborn, but my reaction would be to show' em. Is there an online forum to post photos? Some sort of 'Show us what you've done' record?
Any way to compare results? Another class coming up?
If there's an opportunity to display my work alongside the others, it will be much clearer than butter how good Pentax glass (and cameras) are.
I'd pick out 1/2 dozen of my best and take on all comers, regardless of brand.
This happened to me with one of my camera clubs, very Canikon-oriented. Not quite as obvious as your instructor, but plenty of sideways looks and subtle comments. After a couple of trips to the Botanical Gardens, then posting our results on the club Forum, no more whispers or looks. My work may not be the greatest, but it stands up to anything done by the others and honestly, it's better than most.
It's the final image that matters; Show' em.
But. ya' know, that's just me!
Ron
That would have been a good idea but unfortunately my pictures did not turn out great, user error, unrelated to equipment. The thing I learned was that I don't like standing around in the cold taking pictures of things I wouldn't usually photograph.
02-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let your photos do the talking, maybe then they'll give Pentax a second thought.

Just for laughs...

02-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I have to admit that it was exactly my reaction when I first discovered that there existed Pentax DSLRs.I had been looking for a DSLR for some time not quite finding anything with the capabilities I needed at a realistic price. At some point I stumbled upon the K-x (or K-m?) when looking through comparisons of noise and was surprised that not only there existed a Pentax DSLR but it was the one of the best performers (especially regarding high ISO noise) among anything up to double its price as well as having nearly all the features I needed that were missing from the Canikon and Sony models I had been looking at. A few weeks later I bought my first Pentax DSLR, a K-r.

Actually I knew there were Pentax cameras but I though they were only rebranded point and shoot compacts made by some obscure Chinese OEM.
That's basically how I ended up with a K-x. Of the cameras that were in my price range at the time Olympus was 4/3, Sony was uninspiring, Canon had terrible ergonomics and a poor sensor, Nikon was too basic (D3000) or too expensive (D5000) and lacking in lens compatibility. DPReview hadn't done an in-depth review of the K-x, but other sites had. I still had my K1000 and a couple lenses, so the K-x it was. The only thing it lacked was AF points in the viewfinder, and I didn't even know I was missing anything until I got the K-5.

@kosmoejtg
If you have a tablet or smart phone, load up @Heie's videos...

02-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What he said. You should not have paid for the privilege of having your perfectly reasonable choice of gear insulted.

The facts are that it is pretty hard to buy a name-brand dSLR or lens on the current market that is not pretty decent. While there are obvious differences in features and/or build, nobody is making junk. Comments to the contrary are an indication of both ignorance and bias.

Steve