Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K30 pop up flash stopped working?

Anyone have any ideas how I can start getting it to work again? I'd like to have it working so I can trigger off camera strobes with it or in case I ever need a flash in an emergency. I have the latest firmware installed, and my Yongnuo 460ii flash will fire from the hot shoe just fine, but when I deploy the pop up flash I am not getting the flash symbol in the viewfinder and it won't flash anymore! Might I add that it will still intermittently work at times so the bulb is not burnt out, but it doesn't work 95% of the time now.

Last edited by stillshot2; 02-02-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added more info
02-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
My flash stopped working on my K-30 as well. When I try to use it the camera indicates not enough battery and shuts down, even with a fully charged battery. I have an external flash I use instead.
02-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's not good to hear. My K30 still had a month left on its warranty so I sent it back in for replacement. Hopefully this isn't a problem with all K30's since I only used the flash probably less than 50 times. If it goes out again I suppose I will have to buy a hotshoe trigger like I eventually plan on doing anyways.
02-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

welcome to the world of the k-30

03-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

I've been reading many issues with the K-30 in particular, mine is now on service repair due to a weird problem with exposures. I think QC was lacking with this one. My camera is only 2 months old.

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
welcome to the world of the k-30
I know what you mean

Last edited by Lokusart; 03-05-2014 at 09:35 AM.
03-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Does the K50 have all these issues worked out? I hear it's basically a K30 in a new shell so I think I may have to wait for a good price on a used K3
03-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Does the K50 have all these issues worked out? I hear it's basically a K30 in a new shell so I think I may have to wait for a good price on a used K3
I haven't found so much people complaining with it as I found with the K-30, I hope they did it right with the K-50

03-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like what happened with the *ist DL's? I've seen two now, no flash, but the hot shoe works.
03-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Sounds like what happened with the *ist DL's? I've seen two now, no flash, but the hot shoe works.
that's very bad, specially on cameras that like to portray reliability. Not destroyed by environment but by itself
03-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's not good to hear. My K30 still had a month left on its warranty so I sent it back in for replacement. Hopefully this isn't a problem with all K30's since I only used the flash probably less than 50 times. If it goes out again I suppose I will have to buy a hotshoe trigger like I eventually plan on doing anyways.
By chance were you shooting in Green mode? In that mode, the flash will only fire if it thinks the image needs it regardless of whether you have deployed.
03-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
By chance were you shooting in Green mode? In that mode, the flash will only fire if it thinks the image needs it regardless of whether you have deployed.

I only use manual mode, and even tried just about every mode before I sent it away. Hot shoe still worked fine though. Probably a faulty capacitor somewhere for the pop up flash. I never rely on a pop up flash but it makes me wonder how well the rest of the K30 is built. I switched from Sony to Pentax thinking that Pentax DSLR's were indestructible (and the fact Sony quit making OVF's) but now I'm not too enthusiastic hearing that the K30 may have other issues. The last thing I want to do right now is switch camera systems again!
03-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I only use manual mode, and even tried just about every mode before I sent it away. Hot shoe still worked fine though. Probably a faulty capacitor somewhere for the pop up flash. I never rely on a pop up flash but it makes me wonder how well the rest of the K30 is built. I switched from Sony to Pentax thinking that Pentax DSLR's were indestructible (and the fact Sony quit making OVF's) but now I'm not too enthusiastic hearing that the K30 may have other issues. The last thing I want to do right now is switch camera systems again!
If it helps... I was one of the first to buy a K-30 in the summer of 2012 and apart from the rare lock-up, it's been rock solid.
03-11-2014, 04:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

My popup flash stopped working too, I rarely use it but I was on a night carnaval and used it maybe 30 times before it refused to work...

Is there a manual service for the K-30, or a repair parts list we could use ?
03-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by agukha Quote
My popup flash stopped working too, I rarely use it but I was on a night carnaval and used it maybe 30 times before it refused to work...

Is there a manual service for the K-30, or a repair parts list we could use ?
very bad when that happens, I see that flash issue is becoming a trend on the K-30.

Try contacting the people who sold you the camera, if it's still on warranty you better use it. Or send an email to Pentax asking for the best place to send the camera.
03-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it will still intermittently work at times so
If you take 20 shots in a row of the same scene without changing any settings, will the flash fire at least once? Can you get the flash to work (albeit intermittently) in some of the automated shooting modes? A repair depot can use that kind of information to help determine the cause of your problem, and it will help to prevent the situation where the repairperson changes a setting, it then works once or twice and the camera is returned to you without fixing anything.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lokusart Quote
I see that flash issue is becoming a trend on the K-30
I've had a K-30 for 20 months; taken it with me on a ski-hill, trekking in the jungle, the Caribbean in the summer, a football game in the winter, and have had zero problems. Anecdotal trends on an Internet discussion forum have no correlation to design flaws or quality control of anything. Every manufactured object has the potential to fail at any time. Looking for trends in random events does nothing to prevent such failures or to remedy them.