Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,704
ACMAXX LCD screen protector - reusable??

I bought an ACMAXX LCD screen protector for my K-50 -- after using GGS screen protectors on my old K-x and on my current K-01. Other PentaxForum members have sung the praises of the ACMAXX so I decided to give it a try when I got my new K-50. The problem is, after about a month of shooting, I noticed that a really small dust particle of some kind (sort of like lint) has gotten trapped between the screen protector and the actual K-50's LCD screen. It's right in the middle so it's a bit annoying to look at when I review images or use LiveView shooting mode.

So my question is-- can I remove the ACMAXX, clean the screen, and then reapply it? Is this thing reusable? I know that their instructions for removal involve using a hair dryer, so I don't know if that somehow preserves the sticky adhesive or not. Or if it's a one-time-use kind of thing. Please, any advice would be appreciated-- although I may end up removing it anyway, if I can't reapply it, then I'll buy a new protector-- it just sucks because I just bought this one a month ago and figured it would last a while...

Thanks!

02-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N. Calif
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,580
You can remove it - be not easily re-applicable....the adhesive will not work the second time around...trying to apply additional adhesive could be messy and nor practical...
02-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
Once you remove it, that double tape won't work just as good - mind you it might even get broken.

However, if you can find 3M double tape that thin, I am sure you can re-use it.
Just make sure you clean both surfaces from the old tape and you should be OK.
02-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,704
Original Poster
Okay, thanks. I'm just a bit frustrated because when I used my GGS LCD protectors, I never had this problem. Not sure why the ACMAXX allowed the introduction of such a small lint piece to enter in there. Perhaps I didn't apply it correctly or there was a slight gap I was unaware of. Otherwise, I do like the look of the ACMAXX with the silver border and it looks very well made.

02-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member
mrNewt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON, RH
Posts: 2,170
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Okay, thanks. I'm just a bit frustrated because when I used my GGS LCD protectors, I never had this problem. Not sure why the ACMAXX allowed the introduction of such a small lint piece to enter in there. Perhaps I didn't apply it correctly or there was a slight gap I was unaware of. Otherwise, I do like the look of the ACMAXX with the silver border and it looks very well made.
Probably was already somewhere hidden in a corner when you installed it. And then drifted away later on.
But considering that they are not that expensive, maybe you can buy another one... or try to find that double tape online or at the hardware store.

After a quick online search...
http://www.chipsetsupplier.com/htm/130/129-130-8976-1mm%20x%2050M%203M%20944...h%20Screen.htm
02-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,704
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Probably was already somewhere hidden in a corner when you installed it. And then drifted away later on.
You might very well be right about that. I thought I got all the dust out of there but I might have missed it. Anyway, I might look into getting that double tape you pointed me to-- thanks!!
02-04-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,206
I have noticed that the ACMAXX screen protector is subject to an issue caused by atmospheric pressure changes. Normally there is an air gap between the protector and the LCD. The gap is the depth of the double-stick tape. The tape is supposed to create an airtight seal. When the pressure rises, the lower pressure air inside the protector allows the center of the protector to bow and touch the LCD. Where touching, light transmission through the protector is slightly altered and it may look like there is a spot between the protector and LCD. This spot is most noticeable when the LCD is turned off, but the brighter the image on the LCD, the less noticeable the spot becomes.

At first this spot bothered me substantially and I would gently pull at the edge of the screen protector just enough to break the airtight seal and allow the pressure to equalize. I realized that the tape would be weaker by doing this, would become weaker yet each time I did it, and could possibly allow dust to be sucked in. I've learned to ignore this attribute of the ACCMAXX - because as previously said, it doesn't seriously affect the LCD image when the LCD is on. And the ACCMAXX does an excellent job of protecting the LCD from superficial scratches and mars that would affect the image.
02-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 1,223
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I bought an ACMAXX LCD screen protector for my K-50 -- after using GGS screen protectors on my old K-x and on my current K-01. Other PentaxForum members have sung the praises of the ACMAXX so I decided to give it a try when I got my new K-50. The problem is, after about a month of shooting, I noticed that a really small dust particle of some kind (sort of like lint) has gotten trapped between the screen protector and the actual K-50's LCD screen. It's right in the middle so it's a bit annoying to look at when I review images or use LiveView shooting mode.

So my question is-- can I remove the ACMAXX, clean the screen, and then reapply it? Is this thing reusable? I know that their instructions for removal involve using a hair dryer, so I don't know if that somehow preserves the sticky adhesive or not. Or if it's a one-time-use kind of thing. Please, any advice would be appreciated-- although I may end up removing it anyway, if I can't reapply it, then I'll buy a new protector-- it just sucks because I just bought this one a month ago and figured it would last a while...

Thanks!
ACMAXX LCD Protector Remove Guide

02-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,704
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
ACMAXX LCD Protector Remove Guide
That's what got me confused in the first place. Step 4 of this guide says:

"Carefully remove the protector from your camera. Now you can clean or replace a new ACMAXX protector."

I understand the "replace" with a new protector part, but why say the word "clean" if the original protector is not meant to be, or could not be, put back in place?

Although I imagine it's probably just a matter of poor wording. What they probably intended was: "Now you can clean the LCD and install a new ACMAXX protector"
02-05-2014, 05:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 1,223
It is completely re-attachable as long as you don't damage the adhesive hence the reasoning for heating it up 1st.
02-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,704
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
It is completely re-attachable as long as you don't damage the adhesive hence the reasoning for heating it up 1st.
ding ding ding! that was the answer I was looking for. okay, I'll give it a try. thanks!!
02-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,704
Original Poster
well, it was super easy to remove using the hair dryer method, and I then cleaned the LCD as well as the protector. The adhesive is definitely not as sticky as before but I've reinstalled it and it hasn't fallen off yet. I'm sure if I tried to pry it off with my fingernail it might pop off easily, but I'm going to keep it this way until it falls off on its own-- hopefully won't just happen randomly somewhere while I'm out shooting. And even if that happens, that will be the time for me to buy a new protector. Thanks, everyone!
02-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Havre de Grace, MD
Posts: 1,223
I have taken mine off and re-attached it 4 times so far and it hasn't fallen off yet. AFAIC these protectors are great, one heck of a lot better than using the peel off and squeegy on ones.
02-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,704
Original Poster
Thanks, that's good to know. Hopefully I won't have to remove it anymore-- it seems pretty securely stuck on right now, without any dust particles trapped underneath it. And I definitely agree that these hard glass protectors are the way to go!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
acmaxx, acmaxx lcd screen, k-30, k-50, lcd, lcd screen protector, month, pentax k30, pentax k50, protector, screen
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ACMAXX LCD Screen Protectors are different for K-5II models Docrwm Pentax K-5 6 05-29-2013 08:15 PM
LCD Screen Protector for K-5 mcook Pentax K-5 17 07-14-2012 11:15 PM
Removing acmaxx 3.0 hard lcd protector David Pentax K-5 9 02-24-2011 05:16 PM
ACMAXX Screen protector jules Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 08-06-2010 12:07 AM
Acmaxx 3.0 lcd screen protector mba1971 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 11-05-2009 04:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top