Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #46

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
That's a good choice. One thing to consider -- would the 35/2.4 be more attractive to you than the 50/1.8? If you think so, maybe you could ask B&H if they could make a similar package with that instead.
They have a package with that lens as well though the savings isn't as attractive. It a cheaper to start with than the 50mm and comes out to be more after the package deal.

Currently when I take photographs on a point and shoot I am inevitably either stepping closer or zooming a bit (usually the latter) so I would imagine that a faster 50mm would serve me better.

02-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TzalamChadash Quote
They have a package with that lens as well though the savings isn't as attractive. It a cheaper to start with than the 50mm and comes out to be more after the package deal.

Currently when I take photographs on a point and shoot I am inevitably either stepping closer or zooming a bit (usually the latter) so I would imagine that a faster 50mm would serve me better.
I like zooming in tighter too. It doesn't work as well to use a prime at Disney because I often don't have room to zoom with my feet!
02-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well one of the questions will be how the K-500 has been doing alongside the K-50 (answer: not so hot). Hopefully they'll say something about the future of their entry-level and mid-range lineups.
If they don't come out with the same Camera in 2 different bodies again. 3 If you include the K-30

Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 02-08-2014 at 10:08 PM.
02-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #49

Original Poster
ordered the k-50!

looking forward to getting over here in a few weeks.
I decided on the all black k-50 with the better kit all in one zoom 18-135 WR + the 50MM f/1.8
This forum was really helpful in firming up the decision to get Pentax as well as deciding on which lenses to start out with.
Thank you!!!
Can't wait to get the new camera and start using it to take great photos!

02-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #50

Once you get your camera and get some shots be sure to share them with us! I'd love to see what you capture with the gear!
02-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by donfenix Quote
Also, 24MP is not necessarily always better. In high ISO, you might be better off with 16MP.

K-30, K-50 or the K-500
02-24-2014, 01:11 AM   #52

Original Poster
K-50 with WR 18-135 and a 50mm 1.8 as well.
Should be getting it all next week.

I ordered a fast sandisk memory card but I am debating whether to get an eye fi as well as I understand that on the k-50 you can control the transfer and limit to individual preselected photos. Is that true?
06-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by donfenix Quote
Another advice, don't spend too much money on the body, spend it on lenses. In most likelihood you will change the body in a couple of years, but you will keep the lenses for a loooong time. Two lenses that are excellent if you are a beginner are the 18-135 (walk around lens that will make you appreciate being able to take pictures with your K-30/50 in the rain), and any fast 50mm (new DA 50 or old M 50 on eBay depending on your budget). For your first ILC you wanna have at least one fast portrait lens.
Thanks for your opinion.As far as fast lens lens is concerned,what will be a fruitful one-a fast 50mm or a fast 20mm lens

06-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #54

As others have mentioned, the K-50's sensor, while not the absolute best in the industry, is plenty good to take good pictures *if* you have good lenses. The reality is that the lens, not the megapixels, is often the limiting factor, especially if you're using the supplied kit lenses (which are good for kit lenses, but that's not exactly saying a lot).

As for what lenses you should have, that depends on what kind of photography you do. I photograph wildlife and sports so I need a good telephoto / zoom lens, which is why I got the Pentax 55-300. Even at 300 it has minimal distortion and works quite well. If you are taking portraits or doing street photography at relatively short distances you will of course want some different lenses.

Regarding WiFi, I have the EyeFi card. It is well integrated with the K-50's "Play" mode, just hit the down button when you want to send it down to your Android or iDevice, fire up the EyeFi program on the Android or iDevice, and it slurps it right up and you can post it to Facebook. But the reality is that I've never actually done that because most of the photos I want to ship to Facebook are quickie "Here I am!" type status update photos, and rather than get the big camera out, I just shoot a quickie of, say, a rest area, with the Android's built-in camera and post it directly from the Android phone with the Facebook app. When I post photos to Flickr I want to have viewed them at full resolution on my computer screen first, because it's really hard to tell what's good on the tiny screen of an Android phone or the camera itself, and no WiFi is required to do that -- pop the card out of the camera, pop it into my laptop, hit the IMPORT button and there ya go.
06-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by badtux Quote
As others have mentioned, the K-50's sensor, while not the absolute best in the industry, is plenty good to take good pictures *if* you have good lenses. The reality is that the lens, not the megapixels, is often the limiting factor, especially if you're using the supplied kit lenses (which are good for kit lenses, but that's not exactly saying a lot).

As for what lenses you should have, that depends on what kind of photography you do. I photograph wildlife and sports so I need a good telephoto / zoom lens, which is why I got the Pentax 55-300. Even at 300 it has minimal distortion and works quite well. If you are taking portraits or doing street photography at relatively short distances you will of course want some different lenses.

Regarding WiFi, I have the EyeFi card. It is well integrated with the K-50's "Play" mode, just hit the down button when you want to send it down to your Android or iDevice, fire up the EyeFi program on the Android or iDevice, and it slurps it right up and you can post it to Facebook. But the reality is that I've never actually done that because most of the photos I want to ship to Facebook are quickie "Here I am!" type status update photos, and rather than get the big camera out, I just shoot a quickie of, say, a rest area, with the Android's built-in camera and post it directly from the Android phone with the Facebook app. When I post photos to Flickr I want to have viewed them at full resolution on my computer screen first, because it's really hard to tell what's good on the tiny screen of an Android phone or the camera itself, and no WiFi is required to do that -- pop the card out of the camera, pop it into my laptop, hit the IMPORT button and there ya go.
Thanks a lot for your reply.I like street photography and travel photography.For these what should be minimum gear for people like me?I think K-50 with 18-135 mm lens and a fast prime lens.For prime lens I am strucked b/w 50mm prime or 20mm prime.In India most street photographer walk around with a prime lens.Please give your opinion.
06-19-2014, 01:38 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uja88888 Quote
For prime lens I am strucked b/w 50mm prime or 20mm prime.
20mm and 50mm are very different lenses. I'd suggest to start with a 35mm since that's a normal lens on APS-C (I love to use my DA35 Ltd Macro as a general purpose walk around lens), but of course it depends on what you will use it for.
06-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uja88888 Quote
I like street photography and travel photography.For these what should be minimum gear for people like me?I think K-50 with 18-135 mm lens and a fast prime lens.For prime lens I am strucked b/w 50mm prime or 20mm prime.In India most street photographer walk around with a prime lens.Please give your opinion.
If it is feasible within your budget,
I would recommend the DA 20-40 Ltd zoom.
It has IQ and rendering that are comparable to good primes,
and makes an ideal light street and travel lens.
06-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #58

That said, you can do good street photography even with the stock 18-55mm kit lens. To a certain extent photography is about the photographer, not the equipment. I recently saw an exhibition by someone who had spent a while hopping trains who had found a camera in the trash and used it to take photos of the life of his fellow travelers. The camera he was using was pretty much junk. The photographs were stunning and in some cases heartbreaking. The K-50 with the stock kit lens is a way better camera than what he used to take those photos. A good camera makes certain shots possible that weren't possible with a cheaper camera, but a real photographer can spot shots that'll work even with a cheap point-and-shoot.
06-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TzalamChadash Quote
Hi.
I posted as a visitor previously and have now signed up.
I was pretty set on the k-50. A relative is visiting next month and will be able to bring it to me. He also is able to get some discounts on gear so it's a good opportunity.
Now the rumored k-60 has thrown me for a loop.
The addition of built in Wi-fi seems to be a big plus (my wife has forbidden me from buying a camera without it and I kind of fobbed her off by suggesting the k-50 can work with eyefi cards - in reality I think built in direct wifi is a better solution)
If they use a 24mp sensor also seems to be a big plus.
So the question is do I buy now or wait a bit?
This will be my first ILC camera. Used p&s film until 2003 or so ( a Ricoh - excellent camera a real workhorse!) and then various digital. Currently a Nikon s9200 super zoom.
Well, I recently sold my Pentax Kx and a lens that I really did not use much at all. After thinking about what Pentax is going to do next, I decided to go ahead and purchase the K50 camera.
I can use it now and get some good images without playing a waiting game. Right now, there are some good prices on the K50. Mine is supposed to arrive today!! Yipee!!!!!
GR
06-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #60
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grcolts Quote
Well, I recently sold my Pentax Kx and a lens that I really did not use much at all. After thinking about what Pentax is going to do next, I decided to go ahead and purchase the K50 camera.
I can use it now and get some good images without playing a waiting game. Right now, there are some good prices on the K50. Mine is supposed to arrive today!! Yipee!!!!!
GR
You did not do any mistake, sir! I bought my K-50 in March and I can't be happier about it! Really great camera for that money. Now I'm planning to purchase 40mm limited and 55-300mm HD WR lenses )).